Mendes's dangerous training technique *Warning please read*

Not trolling but is there a reason why they could not revive him?
No CPR? His PT was there with him.
I have read can be drowned for up to 15 minutes in some cases and still be revived, and there is a rare case of a child that had drowned for just over 60min and revived.

As stated with Shallow water blackout the breath you take is Voluntary so it floods and soaks your lungs completely making revival near impossible under 15% chance of being brought back.
In my brothers case the Best Emt's in the state was worked on him for over 1/2 an hour and could not bring him back.

The cases you stated are not shallow water blackouts for starters and are not the norm. This thread is not about drowning it is about the technique of hyper ventilating then holding your breath under water to "Increase" your lung capacity or cardio (science has proven this does not actually do anything other then screw over your ability to notice when you are running out of co2)

And my brother Christian Beckman his wife and kids and my Brother Seths wife (who is a PT and Trained in Advanced CPR ) was there as was his daughter and one other friend.
There absolutely nothing they coulda done to save him.

It is extremely dangeorus and what makes it more dangerous is the Bro Science behind it means alot of people who train "or see fighters, Athletes doing it on for example embedded will try and copy.

Hope this helpped explain it a bit better. I do what I can to raise awareness ie Go to school Swimming carnivals and explain the dangers to the children and I am trying to get it a safety awareness package included in schools sports curriculum.

But you would be surprise how many people a simple thread like this can reach.

And it means my brothers death was not in vain if even one person reads this and forgoes this horrible practice.

My gf is a former pro swimmer.

Whenever they practiced something like that, someone is standing beside you and either holding your hand or something of the sort.
Every 20sec or something like that, they squeeze in search of squeezing back.

I find it hard to believe someone dies in few seconds only after holding breath.
But, I'll grant you benefit of the doubt.

Sorry for the loss, though.

Want to start off by saying this is not a Troll thread.

I just watched the embedded episode 4 with Chad (legend) Mendes doing some training in the pool. Then I saw him do something that made my heart sink with absolute terror.

Chad was taking deep breaths and holding his breath under water.

My beloved brother Seth Beckman Died earlier this year (RIP) to shallow water black out that resulted in drowning. He died while his PT wife was timing him right next to her like Chads GF was. His brother Chris was also right there timing him and it was something they did regulary.

It happened in seconds. And it is a very common occurance. One of the reasons I me tion this is because I do not want anyone to copy that behaviour or technique. As it is deadly and is the sole reason why his wife is alone and his 2 Year old daughter is without a Father.

Does anyone know how I can contact the UFC about this to lodge a complaint or at least let them know how dangerous it is. Chad who I respect the hell out of is so casual about it. I just don't want some kids watching this and think it is a good training method when it isn't. Shallow water black outs (people doing it for what chad was doing ) is responsible for the most drownings in the world and it can happen in only a couple in hes of water.

For the record my brother was a gymnist and a free diver he could hold his breath for over 4 minutes but he blacked out and drowned in under 2 minutes.

Please take this seriously. And if anyone could help me get in contact with the UFC about this or even Chad or his GYM I would appreciate it as My searchfu is weak.

Peace http://m.couriermail.com.au/news/qu...w-water-blackout/story-fnn8dlfs-1227224556553

I would contact TAMs gym directly

I just watched the embedded episode 4 with Chad (legend) Mendes doing some training in the pool. Then I saw him do something that made my heart sink with absolute terror.

My beloved brother Seth Beckman Died earlier this year (RIP) to shallow water black out that resulted in drowning. He died while his PT wife was timing him right next to her like Chads GF was. His brother Chris was also right there timing him and it was something they did regulary.

It happened in seconds. And it is a very common occurance. One of the reasons I me tion this is because I do not want anyone to copy that behaviour or technique. As it is deadly and is the sole reason why his wife is alone and his 2 Year old daughter is without a Father.

Does anyone know how I can contact the UFC about this to lodge a complaint or at least let them know how dangerous it is. Chad who I respect the hell out of is so casual about it. I just don't want some kids watching this and think it is a good training method when it isn't. Shallow water black outs (people doing it for what chad was doing ) is responsible for the most drownings in the world and it can happen in only a couple in hes of water.

For the record my brother was a gymnist and a free diver he could hold his breath for over 4 minutes but he blacked out and drowned in under 2 minutes.

Please take this seriously. And if anyone could help me get in contact with the UFC about this or even Chad or his GYM I would appreciate it as My searchfu is weak.

Peace http://m.couriermail.com.au/news/qu...w-water-blackout/story-fnn8dlfs-1227224556553

I would call Urijah Faber's gym directly:

http://ultimatefitness.pro/contact/

God damn!!! I used to hold my breath underwater regularly on vacations and would try to make the longest underwater swim or to take the deepest straight free dive and most of the time i would do it alone. A lot of times i would feel extreme discomfort and i would fight it out as long as possible. Very stupid stuff looking back...

As stated with Shallow water blackout the breath you take is Voluntary so it floods and soaks your lungs completely making revival near impossible under 15% chance of being brought back.
In my brothers case the Best Emt's in the state was worked on him for over 1/2 an hour and could not bring him back.

The cases you stated are not shallow water blackouts for starters and are not the norm. This thread is not about drowning it is about the technique of hyper ventilating then holding your breath under water to "Increase" your lung capacity or cardio (science has proven this does not actually do anything other then screw over your ability to notice when you are running out of co2)

And my brother Christian Beckman his wife and kids and my Brother Seths wife (who is a PT and Trained in Advanced CPR ) was there as was his daughter and one other friend.
There absolutely nothing they coulda done to save him.

It is extremely dangeorus and what makes it more dangerous is the Bro Science behind it means alot of people who train "or see fighters, Athletes doing it on for example embedded will try and copy.

Hope this helpped explain it a bit better. I do what I can to raise awareness ie Go to school Swimming carnivals and explain the dangers to the children and I am trying to get it a safety awareness package included in schools sports curriculum.

But you would be surprise how many people a simple thread like this can reach.

And it means my brothers death was not in vain if even one person reads this and forgoes this horrible practice.
Thanks mate I am sorry for your loss, but thank you for sharing and help bring awareness of the dangers and you certainly educated me.

Hmmm. On the last countdown show Jones was swimming and holding his breath underwater - I'm pretty sure he mentioned it as part of building up his lung capacity. That can't be safe either - even if it's different to the way Mendes was doing it? Seeing this thread again has reminded me of it.

Hmmm. On the last countdown show Jones was swimming and holding his breath underwater - I'm pretty sure he mentioned it as part of building up his lung capacity. That can't be safe either - even if it's different to the way Mendes was doing it? Seeing this thread again has reminded me of it.

I did not see this episode was he really? It really astounds me that he would be doing that...... Then again he thinks doing cole is cool....

I will contact the ufc again and send through a warning letter to his gym.

Thanks for the heads up Hoop it is little things like that, that can make a world of difference.

I did not see this episode was he really? It really astounds me that he would be doing that...... Then again he thinks doing cole is cool....

I will contact the ufc again and send through a warning letter to his gym.

Thanks for the heads up Hoop it is little things like that, that can make a world of difference.

Yeah, I'm not sure if it was the Countdown show or Embedded, but I remember this thread and Jones saying something along the lines of 'holding his breath under water' which like I said, clicked in my head when I seen this thread pop up. He was doing lengths of a miniature pool - but from reading this thread that doesn't make a difference.

Anyway, fair dues for highlighting it, mate.

Starts around the 2:50 mark. Mentions doing 'breathing exercises':

HEY GUYS CHRISTMAS SUMMER IS UPON HERE IN THE SOUTHERN HEMISPHERE!! SO JUST WANTED TO BUMP THIS THREAD AND REMIND YOU ALL TO STAY SAFE DURING THE HOLIDAYS AND TRAINING.

peace and love to you all.

(PS share the info share the knowledge and read the thread.)

HEY GUYS CHRISTMAS SUMMER IS UPON HERE IN THE SOUTHERN HEMISPHERE!! SO JUST WANTED TO BUMP THIS THREAD AND REMIND YOU ALL TO STAY SAFE DURING THE HOLIDAYS AND TRAINING.

peace and love to you all.

(PS share the info share the knowledge and read the thread.)

How do I train with breath holding exercises correctly and safely?

Let him do what he pleases TS.

Outside of the water

Exactly this. If you want to do this sort of thing do it outside the water as a blackout will do nothing other then cause you to faint. (Even then I would recommend you do said training with someone trained in first aid and resuss.

Let him do what he pleases TS.

Who are you referring to? Chad? If so then deffinately not and in you saying that shows you disregarded the entire point of this thread.

If you are trolling or trying to get a rise out of me by utilising my Brothers tragic death then expect to have your coment deleted.

As stated this is not a troll thread.

Been Awhile and I notice alot of new folks joining so thought it would be a good time to bump.
Please rwad the whole thread as it is filled with alot of great safety advise from intelligent people who know their stuff.

And as always guys train smart and safe and do the research.

Much love

(Again as always please be respectful as mods have zero tolerance for trolls on this thread)

Giving this Thread another annual
bump.

Stay safe in training guys.

Spread the word educate and alluminate.
(A education package I developed for kids on rhe danger of SWBO has been picked up by the QLD government and been implemented into public achools curriculum as well as numerous swimming schools in my state so parents also will be getting educated on the subject. )

Thanks to everyone who reads shares and bumps the knowledge and helps save lives.

Much thanks

Giving this Thread another annual
bump.

Stay safe in training guys.

Spread the word educate and alluminate.
(A education package I developed for kids on rhe danger of SWBO has been picked up by the QLD government and been implemented into public achools curriculum as well as numerous swimming schools in my state so parents also will be getting educated on the subject. )

Thanks to everyone who reads shares and bumps the knowledge and helps save lives.

Much thanks
I appreciate this. My job requires me to snorkel, almost daily, in shallow rivers. I am often times in relatively remote locations with little cell coverage and only accessible by some combination of non-motorized boat, ATV, horseback, or vertical insertion. I do occasionally take deep breaths so I can stay down longer (which I now see has very little scientific merit). Being that this is something that most people don't think of I would bet that none of my coworkers have a clue about it. I know I didn't beyond hearing about it in passing at some point or another. I will now include this in my safety briefings with my coworkers.

Much thanks and I'm sorry about your brother. Hopefully your outreach and education can help save others.

I appreciate this. My job requires me to snorkel, almost daily, in shallow rivers. I am often times in relatively remote locations with little cell coverage and only accessible by some combination of non-motorized boat, ATV, horseback, or vertical insertion. I do occasionally take deep breaths so I can stay down longer (which I now see has very little scientific merit). Being that this is something that most people don't think of I would bet that none of my coworkers have a clue about it. I know I didn't beyond hearing about it in passing at some point or another. I will now include this in my safety briefings with my coworkers.

Much thanks and I'm sorry about your brother. Hopefully your outreach and education can help save others.

This made my day!! Thanks for the update.

Your job sounds really interesting what do you do if I may ask?

This made my day!! Thanks for the update.

Your job sounds really interesting what do you do if I may ask?
I am a wildlife biologist working with endangered species. It is equal parts enjoyable and rewarding.

Back