Mendes's dangerous training technique *Warning please read*

Swarthy

Immortal Sorcerer Lo Pan
@Silver
Reaction score
Want to start off by saying this is not a Troll thread.

I just watched the embedded episode 4 with Chad (legend) Mendes doing some training in the pool. Then I saw him do something that made my heart sink with absolute terror.

Chad was taking deep breaths and holding his breath under water.

My beloved brother Seth Beckman Died earlier this year (RIP) to shallow water black out that resulted in drowning. He died while his PT wife was timing him right next to her like Chads GF was. His brother Chris was also right there timing him and it was something they did regulary.

It happened in seconds. And it is a very common occurance. One of the reasons I me tion this is because I do not want anyone to copy that behaviour or technique. As it is deadly and is the sole reason why his wife is alone and his 2 Year old daughter is without a Father.

Does anyone know how I can contact the UFC about this to lodge a complaint or at least let them know how dangerous it is. Chad who I respect the hell out of is so casual about it. I just don't want some kids watching this and think it is a good training method when it isn't. Shallow water black outs (people doing it for what chad was doing ) is responsible for the most drownings in the world and it can happen in only a couple in hes of water.

For the record my brother was a gymnist and a free diver he could hold his breath for over 4 minutes but he blacked out and drowned in under 2 minutes.

Please take this seriously. And if anyone could help me get in contact with the UFC about this or even Chad or his GYM I would appreciate it as My searchfu is weak.

Peace http://m.couriermail.com.au/news/qu...w-water-blackout/story-fnn8dlfs-1227224556553

Last edited:
Hey Guys just giving the thread a Bump please feel free to give it one as well.

Chael posted his number online recently, give him a call.

I never understood this. You can practice holding your breath while sitting on the couch, at least when you pass out you'll wake back up. Jay Moriarity died doing this and he took hellya beatings under water routinely. Not safe, and I'm a long time surfer, free diver for fish.

Man that sucks, sorry to hear. I bet most people don't realize this can happen, I didn't

Thanks even if it Helps just a few people be more aware that is lives saved and it means my Brothers death means something.

Appreciate the responses.

Made the news when it happened to some guy over here.

His friends thought he was fucking around and jumped on him trying to get him to pop up. That'd make you feel like a dick, jumping on your dead friend.

I lifeguarded for years at a pool and it never happened so not that common. No one died there and place is older than me.

damn that's terrifying to think about, my entire childhood was "lets see who can hold their breath the longest"

damn that's terrifying to think about, my entire childhood was "lets see who can hold their breath the longest"

Thats the scariest thing about it. My brothers had been doing it for years. All it takes is that one time for things to go wrong.

It is a thing and it is deadly.

Guys while I appreciate a good laugh please take this seriously.
Chad has already changed his number I think would contacting his gym be my best bet ie team alpha male?

Forgot to add, sorry for your loss Swarthy. You show a lot of heart and compassion, I'm sure your brother would be proud of you trying to add back.

Ty for the kind words

Thats the scariest thing about it. My brothers had been doing it for years. All it takes is that one time for things to go wrong.

sorry for your loss dude, and thank you greatly for spreading this mostly unknown knowledge. I don't have a twitter but you or anyone who does should try to contact him or his affiliates

Yes I am also a freediver and can attest that hyperventilation followed by a submerged breath hold is very dangerous and you black out before you realize you are in trouble.

Hyperventilation doesn't give you more oxygen to work with.

What it does do is it lowers your CO2 stores.

When you hold your breath, and get uncomfortable, that feeling is NOT caused by diminished oxygen. Your body has NO DETECTION SYSTEM for its oxygen level.

Instead, your body detects RISING CO2 levels. so when you artificially lower your CO2 level below normal, you run out of oxygen before the CO2 level gets high enough to send the signals to your brain that give you the urge to breathe.

The result is you pass out from lack of oxygen before you feel much or any discomfort. You drift into unconsciousness, and eventually you reflexively breathe and drown.

People always ask me if I'm scared of sharks. I'm not. But every diver is scared of this. Underwater breath hold exercises are not to be done without prior safety training and supervision by people who are competent, who can recognize a blackout and effectively rescue you if it happens.

I don't think many people realize how dangerous diving can be.

I almost drowned diving to the bottom of a pool for work. I had a rupture in my sinus occur due to improper diving technique and almost blacked out underwater. When I made it out I was incredibly disoriented, my vision was totally blurred out and I had a pounding headache. I had to go the the ER later due to non-stop nosebleeds from the ruptured sinus.

Made the news when it happened to some guy over here.

His friends thought he was fucking around and jumped on him trying to get him to pop up. That'd make you feel like a dick, jumping on your dead friend.

I lifeguarded for years at a pool and it never happened so not that common. No one died there and place is older than me.

If you noticed someone face down in the pool in a relaxed state for a extended period you would approach them to make sure it was alright as a lifeguard?

Yes I am also a freediver and can attest that hyperventilation followed by a submerged breath hold is very dangerous and you black out before you realize you are in trouble.

Hyperventilation doesn't give you more oxygen to work with.

What it does do is it lowers your CO2 stores.

When you hold your breath, and get uncomfortable, that feeling is NOT caused by diminished oxygen. Your body has NO DETECTION SYSTEM for its oxygen level.

Instead, your body detects RISING CO2 levels. so when you artificially lower your CO2 level below normal, you run out of oxygen before the CO2 level gets high enough to send the signals to your brain that give you the urge to breathe.

The result is you pass out from lack of oxygen before you feel much or any discomfort. You drift into unconsciousness, and eventually you reflexively breathe and drown.

People always ask me if I'm scared of sharks. I'm not. But every diver is scared of this. Underwater breath hold exercises are not to be done without prior safety training and supervision by people who are competent, who can recognize a blackout and effectively rescue you if it happens.

Ty this is the perfect explanation. My thanks

I was expecting something along the lines of.

Conor is GOAT
Conor by death r1 cuz mendes is short and has trex arms.

But sorry to hear that brother.

very sorry to hear of your loss, Swarthy.

I'm sure you could reach Mendes (or Dana) in a number of ways. Most fighters are not nearly as insulated or 'unreachable' in the the way many pro athletes or celebs are.

You could give social media a shot, but I would prob email/call the gym where Mendes trains:

http://twitter.com/chadmendes
http://www.facebook.com/ChadMoneyMendes
http://teamalphamale.com (hit the "contact" link)

If you email, you might link this thread, since you and Gun'n'Run present good explanations of the potential danger. You might need to be a little persistent...but, if this is all legit, I'm guessing that Chad would appreciate the knowledge! Good luck!

very sorry to hear of your loss, Swarthy.

I'm sure you could reach Mendes (or Dana) in a number of ways. Most fighters are not nearly as insulated or 'unreachable' in the the way many pro athletes or celebs are.

You could give social media a shot, but I would prob email/call the gym where Mendes trains:

http://twitter.com/chadmendes
http://www.facebook.com/ChadMoneyMendes
http://teamalphamale.com (hit the "contact" link)

If you email, you might link this thread, since you and Gun'n'Run present good explanations of the potential danger. You might need to be a little persistent...but, if this is all legit, I'm guessing that Chad would appreciate the knowledge! Good luck!

Ty for the links I will shoot them an email and try chad on fb etc appreciate the kind words

Want to start off by saying this is not a Troll thread.

I just watched the embedded episode 4 with Chad (legend) Mendes doing some training in the pool. Then I saw him do something that made my heart sink with absolute terror.

Chad was taking deep breaths and holding his breath under water.

My beloved brother Seth Beckman Died earlier this year (RIP) to shallow water black out that resulted in drowning. He died while his PT wife was timing him right next to her like Chads GF was. His brother Chris was also right there timing him and it was something they did regulary.

It happened in seconds. And it is a very common occurance. One of the reasons I me tion this is because I do not want anyone to copy that behaviour or technique. As it is deadly and is the sole reason why his wife is alone and his 2 Year old daughter is without a Father.

Does anyone know how I can contact the UFC about this to lodge a complaint or at least let them know how dangerous it is. Chad who I respect the hell out of is so casual about it. I just don't want some kids watching this and think it is a good training method when it isn't. Shallow water black outs (people doing it for what chad was doing ) is responsible for the most drownings in the world and it can happen in only a couple in hes of water.

For the record my brother was a gymnist and a free diver he could hold his breath for over 4 minutes but he blacked out and drowned in under 2 minutes.

Please take this seriously. And if anyone could help me get in contact with the UFC about this or even Chad or his GYM I would appreciate it as My searchfu is weak.

Peace http://m.couriermail.com.au/news/qu...w-water-blackout/story-fnn8dlfs-1227224556553

Wow, sorry for your loss man. Never heard of this as I dont (cant) swim, but it looks to be a rather risky thing to do. With it being on an Embedded vid, I would contact the UFC or maybe try contacting Dana through twitter or some of the fighters at Alpha Male to get the word out. Many young fighters may incorporate it into their training since Chad did it. Tons of people watch Embedded vids. Most people probably dont even think there is a risk in doing it. Talk about playing with fire. Whoa.

Scary that it got published like that for tons of aspiring fighters to see

I actually want to tell everyone I know about this

Not to sound like a dick, but terrible thread title considering its fight week and his opponent. That title in combination with the disclaimer you put at the very beginning of the post is going to drive a lot of people away from something that everybody should know about

Can a mod do something about greygooses posts please I asked nicely to not turn this into a troll thread. Poking fun at someones tragic loss of a family member to fuel their desire for attention is beyond pathetic.

Thought this would be a thread about McGregoat.

where is McGregoat.

Does not compute
e=mc^2.

fallacy fallacies.

Back