MENDES BROS | 30+ MINUTES OF SPARRING | Art of Jiu Jitsu Academy

the only guy who even looked like a blackbelt was that last dude. Mendes brothers are on another level for sure

Just look at how smooth and relax Rafa rolls. Guess that means you can get good without going 100% all the time.

the only guy who even looked like a blackbelt was that last dude. Mendes brothers are on another level for sure

i think it needs to be noted that they also roll pretty intensely, with everyone. i often feel like the visitors are trying to keep a relaxed pace and rafa and gui just crush them.

also, who was that last guy? he looks pretty big, but i thought he did really well, actually.

Last edited:
Why does the visitors look always gassed out?

The most elite black belts in the world are on completely different levels. It is incredible.

Just look at how smooth and relax Rafa rolls. Guess that means you can get good without going 100% all the time.

You can roll like that when you are that good and are rolling with people below your level. If you want to see how they got that good, you need to watch footage of them actually training for competition:

[YT]PJqvT1OgsP0[/YT]

Check out the rolling at 5:00 or so. That's how you get to the level where you can chill out against black belts and still kick ass.

Why does the visitors look always gassed out?

This may make no sense, but I always seem to gas out when I visit other academies, maybe just not being as familiar w/ the people etc? Or it is the traveling, not being as hydrated. Not sure.

This may make no sense, but I always seem to gas out when I visit other academies, maybe just not being as familiar w/ the people etc? Or it is the traveling, not being as hydrated. Not sure.

It's the former. Visiting other academies is a bit nerve-wracking for some of the same reasons that competitions are nerve-wracking; just to a lesser degree.

i think it needs to be noted that they also roll pretty intensely, with everyone. i often feel like the visitors are trying to keep a relaxed pace and rafa and gui just crush them.

also, who was that last guy? he looks pretty big, but i thought he did really well, actually.

When I dropped in last year I trained with gui and he went as ahrdas I did, which was sow and methodical. I am a blackbelt and he tapped me twice in 5 minutes with the same move. but he didn't go crazy hard while doing it.

That last guy looked pretty good, I agree

It's the former. Visiting other academies is a bit nerve-wracking for some of the same reasons that competitions are nerve-wracking; just to a lesser degree.

That is what I figured. Also being a purple belt, I don't want people to think I suck, but I'm high enough ranked that lower belts gun for me and higher belts do the same haha.

That and, when you go to a new school, pretty much all your roles will be against their best guys. They're probably not going to have you taking rounds off against white belts.

Guy with the "kimura" gi goes at Gui like he has a chance. You can see Gui ups the pace and crushes him good.
He never went for the lapel brabo on the first guy, but he did there, and tapped him with it before even passing. He started going for his a-level tech basically, the ones you see him hit in comp.
His pull-fake ankle pick is like a viper strike. Whereas with the first guy he went for a kosoto or something, and was standing very tall and relaxed. After he crushed the kimura guy a couple of times you can see his pace relax again.

That's so true. I tell the white belts that if they go into another gym, it'll feel like a mini-tournament. ESPECIALLY if you've got a purple belt or higher on your waist. You are in for a fight. Everyone wants to make sure their jiu jitsu is the standard. Lol.

Most of the sparring in that video is during the competition class. Nobody goes at a "relaxed pace" in the comp class.

Guy with the "kimura" gi goes at Gui like he has a chance. You can see Gui ups the pace and crushes him good.
He never went for the lapel brabo on the first guy, but he did there, and tapped him with it before even passing. He started going for his a-level tech basically, the ones you see him hit in comp.
His pull-fake ankle pick is like a viper strike. Whereas with the first guy he went for a kosoto or something, and was standing very tall and relaxed. After he crushed the kimura guy a couple of times you can see his pace relax again.

Have to admit, if I ever get out there I'd go full speed against both of them. They can handle it (obviously) and I feel like the harder you go the better sense of their game you'd really get, especially if you were good enough to push them to the point where they stop playing around and just crush you with their A game. A lot of the rolls on their site are pretty slow and you can see them just dicking around with stuff you never see them do in tournaments, that wouldn't be nearly as fun from my perspective.

I've rolled with both of them on multiple occasions and they definitely copied my pace. However, Rafa at one point seemed to be drilling his collar/sleeve guard on me. He would constantly get to that guard and would sub/sweep me with different variations. Nothing like rolling hard and it feel like the other person is just drilling on you haha.

Have to admit, if I ever get out there I'd go full speed against both of them. They can handle it (obviously) and I feel like the harder you go the better sense of their game you'd really get, especially if you were good enough to push them to the point where they stop playing around and just crush you with their A game. A lot of the rolls on their site are pretty slow and you can see them just dicking around with stuff you never see them do in tournaments, that wouldn't be nearly as fun from my perspective.

Oh, I agree. I just found it interesting how you can see the slope of intensity depending on the partners.

I found it weird these guys mostly sat to guard against the Mendes bros. Over and over, they'd get passed, back taken, subbed. Not that if they went for top they wouldn't get swept, back taken, and subbed, but they'd even stand, Mendes would stand with them, so they'd sit. Its a strange behaviour imo.

Big guy got some good singles though.

Back