Melvin Guillard drops to 32 - 20 - 2

Man Guillard had so much talent, but he just didn't have a knack for fighting. I don't even think it can all be chalked up to bad technique, it is almost like he had no instincts for how to use his strengths to his advantage. I guess you can call that a bad fight IQ.

Hope he hangs them up.

Based on what? He was extremely explosive, but his technique has never been great.
He was on that 5 win streak with some ko's, I felt like he had the power to put the champ to sleep but Lauzon spoiled that lol

Cocaine is one hell of a drug......

Truth is Melvin is a huge drug addict and that has been his downfall........

Cocaine is one hell of a drug......

Truth is Melvin is a huge drug addict and that has been his downfall........
Do you know the extent of his drug problem?

Why do you have dubs man?
You are one of the coolest guys around here. Weird

I'm gonna take a wild guess Melvin doesn't have the type of personality that consistently makes sensible life decisions or will have a tight lease on his substance abuse. Then again, does any abuser?

Why do you have dubs man?
You are one of the coolest guys around here. Weird
Thanks bro. Well basically I made a remark about Justin Trudeau in the War Room that got me in trouble lol

I'm gonna take a wild guess Melvin doesn't have the type of personality that consistently makes sensible life decisions or will have a tight lease on his substance abuse. Then again, does any abuser?
Fair enough you just sounded like you knew for certain he has a problem and could tell us a story lol

Melvin has been addicted to cocaine for years he started partying a long time ago burning the candle at both ends it' truly catching him now.

He tested positive for cocaine after a 2007 fight and brawled with fellow fighter Rich Clementi outside the cage,then tested positive again for cocaine after his fight at Bellator 159 against david rickels.

He has had a reputation for being very gifted but a complete headache to work with......he believes his own hype and feeds his ego.

One look at his last 8-9 fights shows him missing weight for title fights and just underpreparing and underwhelming performances.

Young assassin is his own worst enemy and has been for quite some time.

Melvin has been addicted to cocaine for years he started partying a long time ago burning the candle at both ends it' truly catching him now.

He tested positive for cocaine after a 2007 fight and brawled with fellow fighter Rich Clementi outside the cage,then tested positive again for cocaine after his fight at Bellator 159 against david rickels.

He has had a reputation for being very gifted but a complete headache to work with......he believes his own hype and feeds his ego.

One look at his last 8-9 fights shows him missing weight for title fights and just underpreparing and underwhelming performances.

Damn ...didnt he say he wanted to fight until he was 50? Yeesh....cannot imagine.

I always liked how Melvin was the Achilles Heel of the "athleticism is everything-- an amazing athlete will dominate this sport" ideal-fighter theory. Especially since he had the quintessential style for utilizing your athleticism. You have to have a big, wild style in order to make full use of your athleticism. The whole point of athleticism is that it makes it so you can land those big, wild, powerful strikes so fast that they'll land and you'll get an early knockout; that's what really separates those guys from anyone who can just throw a fast, hard punch. Just using athleticism to be a super-fast jabber isn't enough, since it's not gonna make your jab anywhere near more invulnerable to the problems that jabs face than anything else; unless you're more comfortable with that, you're wasting a lot of what your athleticism has to offer by doing that. You need form, but you still have to be wild, and Melvin was more of the perfect ratio of that than anyone else, even Krazy Horse (since Melvin did have some legit striking skills and wasn't just a brawler). And when he tried to be "more technical", it led to his extremely-underwhelming victory over Fabricio Camoes, then he went "fuck this shit".

His chin was never so amazing that he could survive the wild exchanges with certainty, and I don't think he ever really developed a passion for the finer points of grappling until he was in his 30's and his athleticism started to fade (so, since he didn't have a passion for it, his gains weren't much, and his time would be better spent working more on his striking and trying to survive exchanges with his striking style and having a hands-down-for-takedown-defense stance), and if you're gonna wish for those things on him you'd might as well start wishing for more shit until he's an unrealistic fantasy-fighter that nobody could ever hope to fill.
He can still make a comeback; he's only 34, and his body isn't so far gone that, with enough hard work, he could go on a respectable run. There're guys who're on really nice streaks from all over the world whose bodies are about at Melvin's level now.

He sounds kinda like the "hot but dumb" girl.
"Athletic... but lazy and egotistical."

To be fair to Melvin he started in New Orleans fighting in fucking bars when he was like 19......he was 40-0 as an amateur then turned pro to make 1300 in yes a fight in a bar lol.

He and his father traveled all over fighting and one night he ran into some NFL guys and they invited him to party.Drugs,alcohol,woman were all thrown in his face at a young age and he got hooked.He then started partying as hard and or harder then he trained. Melvin was so naturally gifted he didn't suffer for it until much later on and it was too late.

Melvin never reached his full potential ever which speaks to the achievemets he did achieve.

I didn't even know the guy was still fighting. What a sad state of affairs. I remember years ago when he went on that impressive 5-0 spree in the UFC and looked to be turning the corner in his career, maybe even shooting for #1 contender status. Then the wheels fell off and he hasn't been the same ever since.

50 loses - he'll be there in no time
Yes he will be there soon enough at this rate. I know Akihiro Gono said he was hanging it up at 50. I believe Guilliard also stated he wanted to retire at 50 lol

Back