Melatonin

Tylenol PM is for people with sleep issues too stupid to figure out said sleep issues or treat it appropriately---which would be probably 90% of the population. 25mg of diphenhydramine, aka Benadryl, is a weak-assed CNS depressant. Not only will you develop tolerance to it, it has a half-life of 8hr, give or take another 2-3.

There are much better options out there, with the main one being seeking out and finding the cause of your insomnia---not treating symptomatically.

Maybe so but it still works fine.

It depends on what kind of sleep issues a person is having. Chronic sleep issues, like what MM is referring to, obviously would not be best treated with Tylenol PM. Maybe if you're referring to just wanting to get to sleep earlier or something. Even then, I wouldn't tell someone to take it.

I only state my case so harshly because:

1. I've been down the insomnia road many, many times as a shiftworker for the past 15 years, and
  2. I understand the pharmacology behind diphenhydramine, and have experienced the sedative effects, the "hangover" effect, and the frustrating tolerance that rapidly develops.

I don't have serious sleep issues, and I know stuff like going to sleep and waking up at the same time, keeping your room very dark, watching or reading fiction instead of someting that gets your mind stimulated, not eating/drinking too much before bed, ect. will all help.

Sometimes I just think too much or I'm out of it and I can't sleep and the PM's will help, same with melatonin. I wouldn't doubt that isn't too good for you but my dad has been taking it about every night for over 10 years with no negative side effects, and he runs marathons at 53. I'm not saying it should be used in the place of finding the reason you have insomnia.

Last edited:
5-htp, gaba, magnesium, and valerian root are all safer alternatives to tylenol pm

I don't, but it helps sometimes.

I don't really have any sleep issues anymore, but I'm guilty of taking Tylenol PM every once in a while. It's normally when I have a day off from training and I'm sore as shit. 8 PM rolls around and I want to pass out early. There is no way I could sleep from 8:30 PM - 6:30 AM without Tylenol PM. I'd say I pop them about once a month.

There are much better options out there, with the main one being seeking out and finding the cause of your insomnia---not treating symptomatically.

Any advice on how to go about this? My girlfriend has pretty bad insomnia...has trouble falling asleep and is often woken by nightmares.

Made me go to sleep great.... but then I would wake up at 3am not able to go back to sleep.

I didn't want to start a new thread, so I'm just going to necro this one.

I work shift work, and I have trouble sleeping during the day when I'm working overnight. I have no problem falling asleep, as I pass out as soon as I get home. Staying asleep is my issue.

I sleep for 3-5 hours if I'm lucky, I wake up and most often than not can't fall back asleep. It makes staying awake while at work extremely difficult when there's down time, and working out nearly impossible when I'm working.

I was curious to know if anyone would recommend melatonin, or something else to help with this.

Thanks in advance!

I work shift work, and I have trouble sleeping during the day when I'm working overnight. I have no problem falling asleep, as I pass out as soon as I get home. Staying asleep is my issue.

I sleep for 3-5 hours if I'm lucky, I wake up and most often than not can't fall back asleep. It makes staying awake while at work extremely difficult when there's down time, and working out nearly impossible when I'm working.

I was curious to know if anyone would recommend melatonin, or something else to help with this.

Thanks in advance!

Get a different job, there is no long term way round it, humans should not be working like this.

Melatonin has helped me fall asleep a bit faster but mostly when I wake up in the middle of the night get back to sleep quicker and without the headaches and drowsiness of sleeping pills. Small dose is all that's needed (I take 1/4 of 1 low dose pill max). More is not better.

Thanks in advance!

I tried it. 6 grams before falling asleep.
- yes, you sleep better and longer.
- the problem is that you might get dizzy after waking up.

It happened with me and also I gave some to my cousin who had some sleeping problems, and he experienced the same thing at first. Now, he says he is more ok. Maybe the body got used to it.

I don't take it because I've read somewhere that melatonine lowers testosterone.

My advice? Try some! It's not dangerous, there have been study it's a natural hormone produced by the body, but because of the lifestyle (pollution, stress, diet) we don't have as much melatonin in our body. Try it on weekend at first, when you don't work.

Also, you can try tea for better sleep. I tried and it works, although you might sometime wake up in the middle of the night because you need to piss.

Thanks for all the help guys! I think I'm going to try some in a couple of days and I'll report back!

I take 3mg. Ive taken 5 and even 10 before, but I feel sluggish waking up and for awhile afterward. On any dose , I get very vivid, colorful dreams which I don't mind.

Back