Melatonin

Klotz

Shalom
Reaction score
I just bought some melatonin to help me sleep. Anything I should know about it?

The capsules are 10 mg, but most other bottles come with 3 mg tablets. Is 10 mg too much?

No I have taken 50mg, they did a study on women somewhere and gave them something obscene like 10,000mg and they were fine. Just take one.

While some folks (and many supplement companies) claim to melatonin's efficacy, I'd avoid it based on down-regulation of endogenous production; this is based in studies, as well as anecdotal evidence from rapid tolerance deveolpment, and stabilized efficacy from intermittant use.

I used to get very vivid dreams/nightmares from melatonin. I was not a fan at all.

With melatonin, usually less is more. start by spliting a 3mg one in half. i don't know what you should do with 10mg ones. maybe throw them out.

I used to get very vivid dreams/nightmares from melatonin. I was not a fan at all.

I often get trapped in dreams, where I keep waking up from one dream into another, which can get pretty scary when I realize I can't wake up. I've taken melatonin two nights now, and I can remember a lot of details (like what this piece of paper said), but nothing particularly scary. Actually, there were wolves last night.

I often get trapped in dreams, where I keep waking up from one dream into another, which can get pretty scary when I realize I can't wake up. I've taken melatonin two nights now, and I can remember a lot of details (like what this piece of paper said), but nothing particularly scary. Actually, there were wolves last night.

Lol. That same shit happens to me. Melatonin made my dreams really crazy and vivid, which can sometimes be pretty cool actually, but I didn't like it in the long run.

Snap. I still do. I take melatonin most monday and wednesday nights, as I only finish MMA class at like 9:15pm. Without the melatonin I struggle to get to sleep after training so late.

Wicked dreams too. :icon_twis

Wasn't there some studies that showed melatonin was more effective is much much smaller doses? cause your body produces like .10-.20mg total for sleep? Don't remember the exact ones off hand but maybe someone else here does.

I seem to have much better results when I split my 3mg pills into quarters, but I also take ZMA at the same time.

It will help you sleep but don't take too much or it will make it very difficult and uncomfortable to fall asleep.

Tylenol PM is much better for helping you sleep.

Tylenol PM is much better for helping you sleep.

Tylenol PM is for people with sleep issues too stupid to figure out said sleep issues or treat it appropriately---which would be probably 90% of the population. 25mg of diphenhydramine, aka Benadryl, is a weak-assed CNS depressant. Not only will you develop tolerance to it, it has a half-life of 8hr, give or take another 2-3.

There are much better options out there, with the main one being seeking out and finding the cause of your insomnia---not treating symptomatically.

This happened to me the first time I took melatonin. It was weird, I was conscience of being asleep and dreaming, but the dreams continued and I was like a participant/spectator that couldn't get out.

Are any of your guys still taking Gaba, ZMA etc...? - just curious, I'm sleep aid free currently.

I cut out my GABA a few months back after I ran out, and have no ill effects. Still taking ZMA.

Mikey, I cut them all out a while ago and am sleeping just fine. I've had a few positive changes in my life though so I probably don't have the same stress that I did when I was taking ZMA, Valerian Root etc...

Mikey, I cut them all out a while ago and am sleeping just fine. I've had a few positive changes in my life though so I probably don't have the same stress that I did when I was taking ZMA, Valerian Root etc...

That's cool; sleep aside, I still rate ZMA as one of my top supps for anyone, especially athletes. If someone was pretty set against ZMA, I think it'd be prudent to supplement in SOME form of Mg.

That's cool; sleep aside, I still rate ZMA as one of my top supps for anyone, especially athletes. If someone was pretty set against ZMA, I think it'd be prudent to supplement in SOME form of Mg.

Why not just take zinc and magnesium separately? It's a whole lot cheaper.

Back