Megan Leavey (2017) - Possibly the best movie I've seen so far this year

G

Guestx

I watched this last night, and I have to say, it was the most refreshing movie experience I've had in a while.

All too often I sit down and watch a movie and I'm just a little bit bored. I'm like, "I've already seen this story." But not so with Megan Leavey.

If you're not familiar with the premise, here it is:

The true life story of Megan Leavey, a young Marine corporal whose unique discipline and bond with a military combat dog saved many lives during her deployment in Iraq. Assigned to clean up the K-9 unit after a disciplinary hearing, Leavey starts to identify with Rex, a particularly aggressive dog that she trains.

Over the course of their service, Megan and Rex complete more than 100 missions until an improvised explosive device injures both, putting their fates in jeopardy.

I thought it was an interesting story that was well-acted and that really brought the feels in a few parts. I don't know that I want to say that it's the BEST movie I've seen this year, but it just might be the most enjoyable. Especially if you're a dog lover you should get into it.

8/10

I would actually recommend just watching the movie without watching the trailer--I hadn't seen the trailer and so the story was totally fresh to me all the way through--but if you're not sold yet, here you go:

Does the dog die? If it does, I can't watch it because my gf will cry and then no sex that night

I hate it when they can't think of a title so they just use the person's name.

If the person is a super famous household name then sometimes it's okay. Like "Ali" or "JFK"

But Michael Collins, Erin Brokovich, Jackie Brown, Jerry Maguire, can fuck right off.

Can you imagine if they called The Social Network "Mark Zuckerberg"

Nope, nope, not watching any dog movie where there is a high probability the pooch dies.

If the person is a super famous household name then sometimes it's okay. Like "Ali" or "JFK"

But Michael Collins, Erin Brokovich, Jackie Brown, Jerry Maguire, can fuck right off.

What about Zuckerberg, would that have worked?

American Sniper. Lone Survivor.

That said, I wanted to see this in theaters and fucking Transformers pushed it out.

LOL. That seems like a pretty minor thing to get so upset about.

Nope, nope, not watching any dog movie where there is a high probability the pooch dies.

If you like dogs and care about animals, as you clearly seem to, you really should enjoy this film. I'd highly recommend that you check it out.

That said, I wanted to see this in theaters and fucking Transformers pushed it out.

Transformers pushed out Megan Leavey? That really is a damn shame.

tenor.gif

Come on guys, has there ever been a drama involving a dog where he doesn't die? Search your feelings...

White Fang came so damn close at least 3 separate times in that story though.

Call of the Wild the main dog almost dies too.

Ah ha, but he doesn't!

In the end he and Jack live happily after after.

Pretty sure Liam Neeson kills him in the sequel

I know you're making a joke about The Grey--good one!--but I looked up the actual sequel to White Fang expecting it to have an abysmal RT score. I was surprised to see that it actually has a 71% and Ebert gave it 3/4 stars.

I might have to check it out.

You know, I've read the book like 4 times but I've never seen the movie

It's not really a great movie, honestly. It's okay.

It's Disney and really aimed at the "family" crowd, so it's a toned down, less gritty version of Jack London's tale. And it was also made in 1991 and feels kind of dated.

I still kind of like it, and in fact I just rewatched it a couple of years ago for the first time since seeing it in the theater way back in the day. But it could be better.

Considering all the remakes that we've been getting in the past several years, I'm kind of surprised that this one hasn't been adapted again. I would probably welcome it if they did.

Does the dog die? If it does, I can't watch it because my gf will cry and then no sex that night

What's even sadder is that the real life Megan Leavey got fat after she left the marines.

Back