Megan Anderson: Valentina vs Joanna matchup is disrespectful to the others in the flyweight divison.

Meaghan should concern herself with her utter lack of a take down defense. THAT is disrespectful to professional or amateur MMA in general.

Let Sherdog worry about matchups.

If you miss weight as a champion in combat sports you are automatically stripped of the title and it becomes vacant

It has never happened before in the UFC, but that is the general rule throughout boxing, kickboxing and MMA

Montano didn't even make it to the scale her weight cut was so bad, and in doing so vacated her own title. That's not out of pettiness.

How can you be the champion of a weight division you can't make?

If you make it to the scale you are correct. But she was hospitalized. I might feel differently if they found Valentina an opponent that night. Since they are scheduling it months later, she should be allowed to defend.

I personally find both Valentina and JJ extremely unlikeable. There is confidence and then there is being a shit-talking classless jackass. They are both in the latter category.

Rose and Nunes are also much better fighters, sorry to break it to the fanboys

Liz Carmouche, beat the #1 flyweight in the world and has a win over Val

Sijara Eubanks, 1-0 at flyweight, TUF finalist who didnt get her title shot, BJJ black belt and multi world champ

Jessica Eye, already 2-0 at flyweight

Jo Calderwood, already 2-0 at flyweight

Chookagian, already 2-0 at flyweight

Do I need to go on...

All five of those have done more in the division than Valentina has.

But Valentina has done way more in MMA. You're trying too hard to defend that division. Lmao Does your sister fight in there or something?

Being 2-0 at flyweight does not make you a better contender than the former 115 lb champion with like 5 title defenses. Or a former #1 contender at BW who arguably beat Nunes and has a win over Holly fucking. Now those are real credentials. Not someone winning TUF or simply having a black belt lmao.

Lmao. She can't be serious. Joanna has accomplished more in MMA than the rest of that Flyweight division put together.

That depends on whether Joanna plans on going up and staying in the flyweight division as former strawweights like Paige VanZant oder JoJo Calderwood have decided to do. In that case no, it's not disrespectful, the division is fresh and no fighter in the top 15 rankings has had more than one fight at 125 since its introduction I believe so you can't claim they're deserving of a title shot.
Should Joanna however only go up for that one challenge and return to strawweight in case of failure, then I see her point because what's essential to a division that's still in its set-up process is to create its faces and top stars. You don't help that by bringing in top stars from the well-established divisions for quick superfights, especially not in the first real flyweight championship contest. There might be he argument that Valentina vs Joanna as a fight between two of the biggest names in WMMA could draw attention to the division, but quite frankly, a title fight as the co-headliner of a PPV and either Valentina or someone who was good enough to beat Valentina in the championship spot of the new division will suffice.

Fine. 1-2 vs 2-1. Real championship fight material. Totally should headline a $65 PPV.

This was the fight to make a year ago. Now? Not so much.it has lost its luster. Neither have done jack in the last year to warrant a title shot against each other, even in a thin division. As others have said, there are other fighters with more wins at 125. Let some of them duke it out for the title.

Again, they are more than the sum of their last three fights. And you know this as well. Some people can actually see the larger picture, others ignore data to push a narrative.

JJ has six wins at 125. We all know the division is a mess, so they are probably going to proceed from a marketing standpoint, which may raise awareness of the division. But people are going to bitch no matter what.

But Valentina has done way more in MMA. You're trying too hard to defend that division. Lmao Does your sister fight in there or something?

Being 2-0 at flyweight does not make you a better contender than the former 115 lb champion with like 5 title defenses. Or a former #1 contender at BW who arguably beat Nunes and has a win over Holly fucking. Now those are real credentials. Not someone winning TUF or simply having a black belt lmao.
Her mma accomplishments comprise a grand total of a failed title challenge.

Again, they are more than the sum of their last three fights. And you know this as well. Some people can actually see the larger picture, others ignore data to push a narrative.

JJ has six wins at 125. We all know the division is a mess, so they are probably going to proceed from a marketing standpoint, which may raise awareness of the division. But people are going to bitch no matter what.
Joanna’s flyweight fights are over four years old at this point.

This fight being a possibility is pure marketing BS at this point. It’s about marketing the blonde Russian (whose star power is completely unproven at this point) against a former champ in a lower weight class. Two fighters with one fight in the UFC flyweight class between them (against someone who had no business fighting in the UFC no less) does nothing to legitimize this new weight class. You fanboys are letting their fantasy matchup blind them to reality.

UFC has a mess on their hands, but this matchup isn’t the way to fix it. If they’re going to have Val fight for the title, then the next best choice is this point is Chookagian, the only fighter with more than one win in the division (and 3x the fights Shevchenko has in it).

Last edited:

I did not know they had an expiration date.

This fight being a possibility is pure marketing BS at this point. It’s about marketing the blonde Russian (whose star power is completely unproven at this point) against a former champ in a lower weight class. Two fighters with one fight in the UFC flyweight class between them (against someone who had no business fighting in the UFC no less) does nothing to legitimize this new weight class. You fanboys are letting their fantasy matchup blind them to reality.

I do not view this as a fantasy matchup, your ad hominem assertions aside (you seem to default to this logically fallacious point when you run out of ideas)

I agree it is marketing BS.

UFC has a mess on their hands, but this matchup isn’t the way to fix it. If they’re going to have Val fight for the title, then the next best choice is this point is Chookagian, the only fighter with more than one win in the division (and 3x the fights Shevchenko has in it).

So now it is only fights in the UFC division that matter? I can dig up posts where you were championing Maia vs. Nicco, I believe? Or others.

You really need to be a bit more consistent. If only fights in the UFC 125 lbs. division matter, well, then even Roxy is not worth very much, given her limited number of UFC wins.

I would have no problem with Chookagian getting the shot. She would be the logical choice from a rankings standpoint. But the UFC has been far from consistent with respect to following rankings. And you know this.

Val gets the title shot because she was promised it and went through camp, etc. so the UFC is actually honoring its word - a rare occurrence. A decent argument can be made for quite a few people as the division is so new hardly anyone has any fights in the UFC 125 division and using it as your sole metric gives you an insignificant sample size which results in corrupted conclusions.

{<huh}
The UFC women's FLW championship belt has been around for 10 months.

I did not know they had an expiration date.

I would say four years and eleven (2/3 of Joanna’s career) fights certainly is a significant amount of time.

[/QUOTE]I do not view this as a fantasy matchup, [/QUOTE]

Many do. Many have indeed said said so. Btw, stop trying to deny your fnboy tendicies when it comes to Val. They’re so obvious..

I agree it is marketing BS.
it’s pretty undeniable.

So now it is only fights in the UFC division that matter? I can dig up posts where you were championing Maia vs. Nicco, I believe? Or others.

You really need to be a bit more consistent. If only fights in the UFC 125 lbs. division matter, well, then even Roxy is not worth very much, given her limited number of UFC wins.

Six or so months ago, when Maia was being brought into the promotion, and was the consensus #1 in the division? Sure. You always wanna bring up context, yet ignore it here.

Chookagian, the only fighter with more than one win in the division (and 3x the fights Shevchenko has in it).
Jo Jo Calderwood has 2 UFC wins at 125 lbs., as does Jessica Eye. Both are undefeated in the UFC at 125 lbs.

I would say four years and eleven (2/3 of Joanna’s career) fights certainly is a significant amount of time.

And? They are still victories. At what point do they start counting.

Many do. Many have indeed said said so. Btw, stop trying to deny your fnboy tendicies when it comes to Val. They’re so obvious..

You will note that
A. Other than commenting about Val being promised a shot I said little about her and,
B. I am spending more time defending JJ.

But again, do not let data get in the way of your ad hominem attacks. Sure, I am a fan of Shevchenko. So what? Show me where I denied I am a fan? You cannot. So your accusation of my trying to deny it is also false.

Six or so months ago, when Maia was being brought into the promotion, and was the consensus #1 in the division? Sure. You always wanna bring up context, yet ignore it here.

It is not a case of context. All of a sudden you are not counting fights outside the UFC. You did when it suited you. Again, logically and ethically inconsistent.

And? They are still victories. At what point do they start counting.

You will note that
A. Other than commenting about Val being promised a shot I said little about her and,
B. I am spending more time defending JJ.

But again, do not let data get in the way of your ad hominem attacks. Sure, I am a fan of Shevchenko. So what? Show me where I denied I am a fan? You cannot. So your accusation of my trying to deny it is also false.

It is not a case of context. All of a sudden you are not counting fights outside the UFC. You did when it suited you. Again, logically and ethically inconsistent.
It is indeed a case of context. Maia was number one at the time when i Was saying she had a bigger case for a title shot than most others. Joanna hasn’t fought in the division in years, and is 1-2 in her last three fights at a lower division, no less. Shevchenko hasn’t done much either, besides beat up somebody who had no business getting signed.

Record, fights in the division, and timing of fights in the division should all be taken into account. What is so hard to understand about that?

Last edited:
It is indeed a case of context. Maia was number one at the time when i Was saying she had a bigger case for a title shot than most others. Joanna hasn’t fought in the division in years, and is 1-2 in her last three fights at a lower division, no less. Shevchenko hasn’t done much either, besides beat up somebody who had no business getting signed.

Record, fights in the division, and timing of fights in the division should all be taken into account. What is so hard to understand about that?

Because it is more than their last two or three fights. This is not enough to determine anything. You do not have enough data to draw a proper conclusion.

It was true right before Maia lost to Liz so long ago and it is true now.

I have always maintained that a fighter's body of work is what should be considered. In one post you are using the last two fights, in the next the last three. Now you are saying it is more than that.

Pick one instead of changing your tune every time you post.

It's too late to market Valentina like that, Joanna already lost in mma, and main marekting value of Valetnina was she can beat undeafeated Joanna (and she helped Rose,lol). Longest win streak of Valentina is 2 (UFC), Andrade who is strawweight right now has 3 win streak as WBW (UFC)...Valentina's UFC run is very underwhelming and even KO'ing Joanna in round 1 won't change it, because it was already done by smaller fighter.

It is indeed a case of context. Maia was number one at the time when i Was saying she had a bigger case for a title shot than most others. Joanna hasn’t fought in the division in years, and is 1-2 in her last three fights at a lower division, no less.

Because it is more than their last two or three fights. This is not enough to determine anything. You do not have enough data to draw a proper conclusion.

It was true right before Maia lost to Liz so long ago and it is true now.

I have always maintained that a fighter's body of work is what should be considered. In one post you are using the last two fights, in the next the last three. Now you are saying it is more than that.

Pick one instead of changing your tune every time you post.
There’s a wide difference between fights that happened in their last three, over a 1-1.5 yr span, and you trying to act like fights from over four years ago have any relevance now, when they don’t. Especially when talking about deserving a title fight, more recent fights hold more weight than fights that happened 11 fights ago. A knockout loss to Rose Namajunas in a lower weight class last year holds way more weight than a than handing an end of her career Rosi Sexton her third straight loss in 2014.

Back