Medieval Martial Arts? Bf hitting me.

That medieval HEMA bullshit isn't really a "martial arts", it's just a bunch of nutty idiots trying to think they're some kind of medieval knights. Throw that shit out the window, we're in modern time now. Any wannabe king arthur try to wield a medieval sword at me, I'll stick a gun in their mouth and pull the damn trigger. Just like that. BANG!

I didn't know where else to post this.

Does anyone know anything about Medieval Martial Arts? They suit up in steel armor and beat each other with real blunted weapons like knights. I'm asking the MMA community because my boyfriend got into it some months ago, and ever since he's started hitting me. Not just slapping me, ruthlessly beating me, slamming me into walls and bashing my head in with a steel bowl. I'm not here to have the "you should leave him" convo because we've been together for almost a decade and he's only completely changed after getting into this...I don't even know if I can call it a martial art.

He seems to think that since I used to train MMA a long time ago, and since there are girls who do this sport with him, that it's okay to come home and hit me. I did train MMA years ago and the last time he got physical I had to pull guard. You have no idea how much I've been suffering inside myself because I had to use my skills against someone I love. It's made me vow to never touch my gi again, I never wanted it for that.

He was the most amazing fiance in the world before this past six months when he got into this full-contact knight fighting thing. I don't know anything about it and I'm afraid they're teaching him this is okay. I don't want a sport to ruin my family, I feel helpless and terrified. He's never been in a martial art or sport or anything, so this is his first time in a full-contact sport. I'd like to show the pictures of my injuries to his team captain but I doubt that would do anything. Does anyone know anything about this martial art? Can someone help me understand? I just don't know where to turn. If anyone can shed some light on this I'd really appreciate it.

Thank you.

Let's see a pic of you.

I'm sure if you're hot a white knight here on sherdog will come to your rescue.

4/10

and 3 of those are for the novel medieval theme

I am certainty are trolling us because everything you wrote sounds like horseshit.
Why's that? I've certainly seen this kind of pattern, where someone engages in contact sports for the first time, gets a bit of courage and becomes a worse/more violent person.

For obvious reasons, I'd also err on the side of caution calling trolling.

5Blades, I highly doubt any kind of answer for this behaviour is in the specifics of a sport that someone practises. Take the advice of experts in on the subject (http://www.ncdv.org.uk/are-you-suffering-domestic-abuse/ for example, assuming you're in the US), not random dipshits on the internet.

For obvious reasons, I'd also err on the side of caution calling trolling.

You really think someone is being beaten about the head with a steel bowl by a Medieval Martial Arts crazed boyfriend, and their first thought is to go to Sherdog's grappling forum for advice?

And that we should be careful as they're totally unaware of domestic abuse services or the ability to search on the internet?

You really think someone is being beaten about the head with a steel bowl by a Medieval Martial Arts crazed boyfriend, and their first thought is to go to Sherdog's grappling forum for advice?

And that we should be careful as they're totally unaware of domestic abuse services or the ability to search on the internet?
Stranger things have happened, and I've seen weirder justifications for shitty behaviour.

This is far from the first place I've gone. Most services want to press charges and those aren't charges you can drop. I didn't come to the Internet for advice on abuse I came to find out what this martial art is that's ruining my life by proxy. I can't find any info on it other than exposé articles and wiki explanations. Honestly I googled MMA forum and this is what came up. My reasoning being MMA is a bunch of martial arts together so someone might know something. Don't expect you to be nice but any knowledge about this sport or first hand accounts would be appreciated.

I think ppl here might think this is an attempt to trump up a debate on domestic violence or something. How about we forget that whole part of the post and just rephrase it to asking if anyone knows anything about this Martial Art?

This is a grappling forum. We don't cover medieval martial arts or weapons.

5Blades, I highly doubt any kind of answer for this behaviour is in the specifics of a sport that someone practises. Take the advice of experts in on the subject (http://www.ncdv.org.uk/are-you-suffering-domestic-abuse/ for example, assuming you're in the US), not random dipshits on the internet.

Agreed but this drastic personality shift started right when he started this sport. His life has revolved for the most part around buying gear for it. There's probably other factors but this is a big one.

That medieval HEMA bullshit isn't really a "martial arts", it's just a bunch of nutty idiots trying to think they're some kind of medieval knights. Throw that shit out the window, we're in modern time now. Any wannabe king arthur try to wield a medieval sword at me, I'll stick a gun in their mouth and pull the damn trigger. Just like that. BANG!

Are they actually roleplaying in period? The world was a violent place back then and I'm worried they're teaching him to act like people did back then and it's making him lose touch with reality.

This is a grappling forum. We don't cover medieval martial arts or weapons.

Like I said I didn't know where else to post this, I thought people in MMA might know because they know about all martial arts. Any advice on where I might go to get more info would be appreciated if anyone knows.

Like I said I didn't know where else to post this, I thought people in MMA might know because they know about all martial arts. Any advice on where I might go to get more info would be appreciated if anyone knows.

Well not this one for starters. Nobody here knows anything about it. It's a grappling sub-forum. Go ask here: http://forums.sherdog.com/forums/weapons-and-tactics.65/ people are on there right now discussing ancient swords. We talk about Jiu Jitsu and Judo - not even slightly relevant.

has this been a sporadic thing or is it a knightly occurrence?

watch-out-we-got-a-badass-over-here-meme.png

Well not this one for starters. Nobody here knows anything about it. It's a grappling sub-forum. Go ask here: http://forums.sherdog.com/forums/weapons-and-tactics.65/ people are on there right now discussing ancient swords. We talk about Jiu Jitsu and Judo - not even slightly relevant.

Thank you. I didn't see that sub forum. Hopefully a mod can move this post there or if not I will cross post.

I bet he started using creatine way before he got into medieval martial arts, you should have acted than, creatine use never ends well.

This is like asking "how do i get out of an already extended armbar?"

This is far from the first place I've gone. Most services want to press charges and those aren't charges you can drop. I didn't come to the Internet for advice on abuse I came to find out what this martial art is that's ruining my life by proxy. I can't find any info on it other than exposé articles and wiki explanations. Honestly I googled MMA forum and this is what came up. My reasoning being MMA is a bunch of martial arts together so someone might know something. Don't expect you to be nice but any knowledge about this sport or first hand accounts would be appreciated.

I think ppl here might think this is an attempt to trump up a debate on domestic violence or something. How about we forget that whole part of the post and just rephrase it to asking if anyone knows anything about this Martial Art?
If what you are saying is true. You need to get out of the relationship. If he continues down this path you can and may even lose your life. If pressing charges is out of the question you need to leave. Stop saying this and that is out of the question. I still really don't believe you but doing any type of activity isnt going to change a person to become an abuser they are either inclined to abuse you or not.

This thread would be much more productive if moved to the OT. Lots of experienced swordsmen there.

Back