McGregor's stance?

Practical Goat

Knowledge Seeker
@White
Reaction score
Apologies if this has been asked a billion times... What martial art has mcgregor taking his stance from? (the sort of side on, bouncing back and forward one). I've seen something similar in Karate but can't get a name of what it's called or where it actually comes from.

It's more or less a side on boxing stance, although there are valid comparisons to it being karate like.

Conor McGregor's striking background is boxing first, then he took up kickboxing, and then taekwondo after that. So all three styles have likely influenced his style in some way.

mcgregorelbowcounter.gif

conor-control-the-lead-hand.png

boxing-stance-heavy-vs-too-heavy.jpg

P4-05.jpg

Keep in mind that Conor can often over extend himself and some photographs of him in his stance have been taken mid step making the stance appear wider than it actually is. He is not as low to the ground as he may often appear.

It's more or less a side on boxing stance, although there are valid comparisons to it being karate like.

Conor McGregor's striking background is boxing first, then he took up kickboxing, and then taekwondo after that. So all three styles have likely influenced his style in some way.

mcgregorelbowcounter.gif

conor-control-the-lead-hand.png

boxing-stance-heavy-vs-too-heavy.jpg

P4-05.jpg

Keep in mind that Conor can often over extend himself and some photographs of him in his stance have been taken mid step making the stance appear wider than it actually is. He is not as low to the ground as he may often appear.
he also studied karate under gunnar I believe.

For bouncing back and forth, his stance is great. Seems like a mix between a bladed boxing stance, karate stance and TKD stance as Andy said. Less a boxing stance I would say.

Range is Conors game, and he does come from odd angles and has a few good slips. Imagine if he could protect himself with quality in the pocket. He would be unstoppable on the feet.

It reminds me of a Karate stance, especially with the ease of how he also throws kicks from it.

Is Conor primarily an outside boxer then?

I would call Conor a pressure counter-fighter. I think he's at his best when he comes forward and makes you throw, countering off whatever you throw. I don't think he actually likes to lead much, he just like to threaten to get you to lead.

It looks like a karate stance to me. Like the one you see in styles like Shotokan, in semi contact fights.

I have seen many karateka saying that this bouncy stuff is no true karate.
The irony of the matter is that people who use this "bouncy stuff" are the ones that have represented
Karate best in MMA.

Whatever stance it was, Mayweather threw that karate shit out the window.

Whatever stance it was, Mayweather threw that karate shit out the window.
Mayweather's never lost. So he's thrown all the "boxing shit" that his past opponents have used out the window, too?

And Conor's not a boxer, he's a MMA fighter that uses his stance in MMA, 99.99% of the time.

It would be hard to say Conor's stance is one specific thing. Above an intermediate level technique starts to be fluid. He does skip step in and out like TKD, but then he stands static extending out over his lead leg gauging range.

It's hard to pinpoint but if you're going to train it dedicate a hr a day analyzing his fight footage and isolate the top ten repetitive movements and turn them into drills.

Also scour YouTube for style specific footwork clips and cross reference them against what you've already absorbed visually and trained.

Back