Mcgregor's ground game is underrated

Nate Diaz has the 2nd most submission wins in UFC history. He is also the naturally bigger man yet Conor easily prevented him from taking him down in their 2nd fight. Even in the first fight Nate easily got swept in the 1st round. It was only when Conor hit a wall and completely gassed in the 2nd that he got subbed.

Also Mcgregor's first submission loss was to a guy who's 15 wins were all by submission and 14 of them in the 1st round. And eveyone knows his 2nd loss by sub to Duffy. 10 of Duffy's 15 wins are by submission.

And after he blew out his acl against Holloway, he took the fight to the ground and basically beasted Holloway for the rest of the fight.

His ground game is underrated.
You are talking about take down defence ... What does that have to do with ground game ?

We love to go on about how Mendes fought Conor on short notice and dominated him for a majority of the fight, but hate to remember that Conor had a horrible knee and hadn't been able to wrestle properly during that camp. Did we not notice the difference between his physique and movement at 189 and 194? The difference is night and day, so I'm inclined to believe him (and everyone else who claimed this before and after the fight).

As for his grappling pedigree / having not faced a good wrestler, do not feel like typing it all out again.
Well, to be fair, there are not many fighters he has faced that are known for their wrestling. However, you could say the same for a majority of the roster. So if anything, in saying that Conor is unproven and has not faced / won against a legitimate wrestler, you're pretty much saying the same for a vast majority of the roster. As far as I'm concerned, Poirier, Siver, *short-notice* Mendes, and Brandao have better wrestling than most fighters in the UFC. Poirier wrestled the hell out of Duffy, who is far from average. Siver was outwrestling Cub if I remember correctly. Your average fighter doesn't get the chance to face the likes of Khabib, Alvarez, Edgar or even Mendes. Now he's obviously not a phenomenal wrestler. But to argue that Conor's wrestling is anything below -above- average is ridiculous.

Because if his bjj was nonexistent vs Nate the second time around, then how can it be underrated?

It's underrated because people say it's shit and it's not.

Can you provide factual evidence that he has a solid ground game with the exception of the grade school "he beat Holloway and Holloway beat cub and cub is good so therefore Conor is good" argument. I wonder how Conor gained his three losses? Not hating just wondering and you seem the most knowledgeable based on your reply.

BlankWarmCaecilian.gif

56d0bc230f9d4.gif

56d0bf6031aa1.gif

Also watch Holloway fight post Conor's ACL tear.

Eddie Bravo on Conor's ground game
Bravo has seen McGregor roll in person and insists that the BJJ abilities of 'The Notorious are legit.

"People are talking a lot of shit on Conor’s Jiu-Jitsu. I know Conor’s Jiu-Jitsu is good," Bravo told Rogan.

“He’s come to my school. That guy is good. Just because he was mounted and choked out... He was already hurt!

"But even if he wasn't hurt, I get mounted by my purple belts sometimes and get my back taken.

"There's some shit going on and you add punches and all this hype, just because he got mounted and got his back taken, it does not mean that Conor's Jiu-Jitsu sucks. Don't get it twisted.

"He was a little hurt and Nate Diaz is really good. Nate Diaz could probably do that to me, it doesn't mean I suck."

Ryan Hall on Conor's ground game
“Not only did I get the opportunity to roll with Conor, but I was very impressed,” said Hall. “I think people don’t realise how much ability he has and I was pleasantly surprised by his level of skill and level of composure. Those things don’t always go hand-in-hand; sometimes you get someone who’s very skillful in one area but when you get them out of their comfort zone they’re not complete.

“But Conor’s a fantastic martial artist and I was very, very impressed. He trains very diligently and he puts in those hours. Jose Aldo is a fantastic fighter and a very high-level jiu-jitsu guy but the gulf between them on the ground is not what people might think. Not at all.”

Nate diaz cant take down my sister. Wait until a real wrestler double legs him. Oh you already saw that in half pint mendes who took Conor down at will. The bigger wrestlers in 155 will do it even easier.

- Has been tapped early 3 times by very basic submissions.

- Offers no submission threat himself.

- Takedown defence was awful the only time he ever faced a top wrestler (that he probably outweighed by 20lbs)

Nah, it isnt underrated at all. It's a clear weakness in his game. You're a biased fan is all.
The professionals who are rivals of McGregor disagree with you, but what do they know compared to you.

Lol No I meant like real evidence. EDDIE FUCKING BRAVO? Jesus come on man. Couple of gifs. Those are all of his positive positions in grappling in one post. Lmao

What's real evidence then? If you're asking me have I rolled with Conor personally then no.

What are your credentials to diss Edgie Bra? He was schooling Royler with his "fancy shit" and has one of the best grappling tournaments around.

There aren't many bad grappling exchanges in Conor's UFC career. A couple lost takedowns against Mendes and Diaz and his loss to Diaz but he was rocked and gassed (and of course because Nate is better on the ground (which doesn't mean Conor's ground game is bad)).

based on him dominating Holloway on the ground. Holloway subbed Cub Swanson who's really good on the ground.
Oh no but you see conor doesnt train these things so he cant get better at them unlike every other fighter out there........ sherlogic

This topic is about Conor's BJJ being underrated and I stated Coiner was begging Nate to get up. This showed us how "underrated" Coiner BJJ is.... LOL@Coiner non-existent BJJ in the fight.

Try to stay on topic.
He was absolutely destroying Nate on the feet why would he sacrifice that to go into a grappling match you fucking moron?

Conor was begging Herb Dean to get 2 week notice Mendes off him

& only retards think Conor swept Nate
The pros and analysts actually think people who say it wasn't a sweep are the retards, but you know more than them, right? And McGregor's complaints to Herb Dean was mostly about Mendes digging his steroid creamed, midget fingers into McGregor's eyesocket.

- Has been tapped early 3 times by very basic submissions.

- Offers no submission threat himself.

- Takedown defence was awful the only time he ever faced a top wrestler (that he probably outweighed by 20lbs)

Nah, it isnt underrated at all. It's a clear weakness in his game. You're a biased fan is all.
This

I'd say it's underrated on Sherdog, considering most people seem to think Conor's BJJ is at whitebelt or bluebelt level.

Luckily Conor has a higher fight IQ than his haters. Why the hell would he choose to go to ground with Diaz when that's where he's at a disadvantage?

... basically confirming that his ground game is kinda not up to snuff.

The professionals who are rivals of McGregor disagree with you, but what do they know compared to you.

Let's stick to the reality of what has happened in the cage, as opposed to what people say when they're on camera.

... basically confirming that his ground game is kinda not up to snuff.

Nate has better jiu jitsu than 99 % (rough estimate) of the black belts on the planet.

I'll bite, let's take a look at your post.

1. Has been tapped early 3 times by very basic submissions.

So? The most basic submissions are what work best at the highest level in grappling. Go watch some of Roger Gracie's grappling matches. Not to mention two of those happened early in his career.

2. Offers no submission threat himself.

Submissions are relatively rare at the highest level in MMA. Aldo was a legit competetive jiu jitsu player and he has never shown any submission threat in his WEC/UFC career. Do you shit on his ground game too?

3. Takedown defence was awful the only time he ever faced a top wrestler (that he probably outweighed by 20lbs)

Conor was preparing for a well-rounded striker but he was still able to defend 4 out of 7 takedown attempts from the best wrestler at 145. Not bad IMO.

The weight difference was probably something similar to Nate/Conor.

By "I'll bite", you clearly meant "I'll basically confirm you were right with a truly piss-weak response".

Referring to the RNC as a "basic submission" as if that makes it less effective shows your lack of knowledge

Nope, just stating a plain fact.

Thanks for your invaluable contribution.

While I agree we shouldn't call McGregor's grappling skills (ground game or clinch) anything but a liability, I think this is a common misconception in the grappling world. Asking any sport jiujitsu/catch wrestler/samboist or MMA fighter which submissions are worthwhile implementing and they will tell you they the basic submission. The rest of the importance of the grappling game lies in defensive skills (guard sweeps, stopping the takedown etc.) and positional advancing which includes using submissions to attack and create openings to advance position. The most effective, highest-percentage submissions (RNC, triangle/armbar from guard, armbar from side control or mount) should be the one grapplers are going for and losing to them are by no indication of grappling weakness in and of themselves.

Yes they are. Tapping 3 times in MMA to basic submissions tells us the guy is not "underrated" in terms of his ground game. If he had never been subbed before and people were shitting on his ground game, well then maybe we'd have something worth debating.

By "I'll bite", you clearly meant "I'll basically confirm you were right with a truly piss-weak response".

What a witty response. How about trying to make an argument to disprove my points? Oh, right, there aren't any.

I find it kind of funny how people can actually think that McGregor's groundgame outright sucks when his main coach is a BJJ blackbelt and one of the better grapplers in Europe (first ever Irishman awarded a black belt) , and one of his main training partners is Gunnar Nelson who is a highly decorated grappler. His ground might very well be average for all we know, but it would be almost impossible to train in such an environment and not develop at least decent ground skills – especially for someone like Conor, who seams to pick up new skills with relative ease. I mean come on – Kavanagh coaches Nelson to be one of the better BJJ practitioners in the world, but his other star pupil somehow has the ground skills of DADA 5000?

Yes they are. Tapping 3 times in MMA to basic submissions tells us the guy is not "underrated" in terms of his ground game. If he had never been subbed before and people were shitting on his ground game, well then maybe we'd have something worth debating.

Haters say Conor's ground game is bad but in reality it's good hence his ground game is underrated.

Back