McGregor is P4P number 3

UFC rankings are nothing more than a marketing tool. Nothing more. How else do you keep a guy relevant who has never defended a belt and hasn't been in a cage in nearly 2 years?

Conor has had some great wins, and getting the LW belt was very impressive indeed, however it has been two years since his last MMA fght, and going 1-1 against Nate does not help his P4P standings. IMO he needs to beat a few top LW's to be in the top 5. Certainly a win over Khabib will do wonders.

6 months is too short. Should be 12.

7-9 months of inactivity is pretty normal.
Without injury? Absolutely not. Normal turnaround without medical suspension/complications is about 4-6 months. 7 is pushing it and is usually due to contract issues.

If you're out for 7+ months with no fight booked then you don't need to be in the top 5. If you go a year then you don't need to be in the top 10.

He probably is tbh if you discount the last 20 months

And then he lost, and moved down into hiding. Unlike McGregor who won and moved up, and still won.
FLW is DJ's natural weight class. And he's still smaller than almost everyone he fights. And he was still beating former BW top 10 fighters. How is it hiding to fight people your size?

Conor went 1-1 with a LW in Nate at 170 and beat Eddie. Great! That is a great achievement.

DJ spent the majority of his career fighting people at least a full weightclass bigger than him and won 14 times. That is more than most fighters do! DJ, Frankie, and Dodson are some of the only guys that still do this.

P4P is fantasy bullshit, P4P cockroach beats an entire lion pride.

So, Mighty Mouse refuses to fight at 135 (cuz he lost last time around). He's P4P #1, supposedly.

Stipe is #2, but he hasn't got the opportunity to move up in weightclasses. He could be said to be THE best, disregarding weightclasses. As opposed to P4P.

Conor is the ONLY one to clean out a division, then beat the champ at the above weightclass - and in the meantime he beat a solid fighter at 170.

Him being #3 is reasonable atm.
he has never defended a belt....cleaning out a division is beating the top 5 handily while defending the belt for said weight class

Without injury? Absolutely not. Normal turnaround without medical suspension/complications is about 4-6 months. 7 is pushing it and is usually due to contract issues.

If you're out for 7+ months with no fight booked then you don't need to be in the top 5. If you go a year then you don't need to be in the top 10.

...you're being ridiculous.

So you are saying that it's normal for most fighters to fight 3 times per year? That's what 4 months would be. That's extremely abnormal.

...you're being ridiculous.

So you are saying that it's normal for most fighters to fight 3 times per year? That's what 4 months would be. That's extremely abnormal.
You're being narrow minded. The turnaround time isn't always the same.

Lets say you fight in late January. Come back by mid May or June. Thats a common turnaround. But most fighters will then take 6 months between their next fight. For fighters who fight twice a year, the average turnaround is about 5 and a half months.

Just because you make a 4 month return doesn't mean it gas to be followed up by another one. It's usually 5 and 5, 4 and 6, 5 and 6, or 6 and 6. 7 month turnarounds are very rare for healthy fighters

Unlike McGregor, he refuses to challenge himself at a higher weightclass.
On the other hand... McGregor refuses to challenge himself in the cage at all, since he doesn’t fight anymore and never defended a belt he won.

<{cruzshake}>

People call him the best ever. Imagine if Wayne Gretzky got in to the NHL, won the stanley cup and scored more than anyone else and just dropped his shit and left.

Imagine if Michael Schumacher won his first F1 world championship and stopped driving.

You see where I’m going with this, don’t you?

<{fry}>

Keep hugging, blind followers.

You're being narrow minded. The turnaround time isn't always the same.

Lets say you fight in late January. Come back by mid May or June. Thats a common turnaround. But most fighters will then take 6 months between their next fight. For fighters who fight twice a year, the average turnaround is about 5 and a half months.

Just because you make a 4 month return doesn't mean it gas to be followed up by another one. It's usually 5 and 5, 4 and 6, 5 and 6, or 6 and 6. 7 month turnarounds are very rare for healthy fighters

No shit on the math you did.

7 month turn arounds are rare? Based on what? Let's see your data.

Edit: looking up numbers myself.

MM -7 months between Moraga and
Benevidez
-7 months between horiguchi and
cariso
-7 months between Dodson and cejudo
-7 months between Borg and Cejudo
(though he did have surgery for that one for sure.)

Werdum
- 8 months between Arlovski and
gonzaga
- 10 months between JDS and Kyle
- 8 months between big foot and Fedor
- 1 year between Fedor and reem
- 7 months between Reem and Nelson
- 1 year between Russo and Big Nog
- 10 months between Not and Browne
- 7 months between Cain and hunt
- 11 months between Cain and Stipe
- 10 months between Browne and reem

According to you, a champion level fighter like werdum couldn't have been ranked top 5 for most of the past decade and mighty mouse would have lost his ranking despite holding the belt.

These were the first two that I thought of.

Last edited:
LMAO

barely going 1-1 against a gatekeeper LW at 170 does not equal P4P #3 :rolleyes:

i think stipe dc is the fight to decide #1 right now.

mouse is fighting bums and every1 else doesnt have as many title defenses.
A Heavyweight can't be P4P number 1. The whole concept of P4P is that if everyone weighed the same, who'd be best. Heavyweights lose a lot of what makes them dominant when everyone is suddenly the same size.

Also, DC was already a HW. I don't even see this much as a LHW vs a HW because of that. It's just a guy who used to be a HW that won the LHW title, who is now fighting the current HW champ. Stipe beating DC means pretty much nothing as far as P4P rankings go. Stipe, as the HW, is supposed to have an advantage based on size.

I'm getting real tired of doing research for Sherdoggers who are too lazy to it it themselves...

Top 3 for each division, longest layoffs uninjured
FLW
DJ:7 months; Sep 5 to Apr 23; Sep 27 to Apr 15;the rest are 4-6
Cejudo: 8 months Apr 23 to Dec 3; due to filming of TUF
Pettis: 7 months Mar 14 to Oct; due to medical suspension
JoeB: 8 months Apr 23 to Dec 3; due to filming of TUF
BW
TJ: 11 months; Dec 30 to Nov 4; TUF and Cody's injury; Next longest is
Cody: 11 months; his first 2 fights; reason unknown
Dom: 1 year; After loss to Faber
Assuncao: 6 months; anything longer was due to injury
FW
Max: 6 months; Dec 12 to June 4
Ortega: 14 months; March 2011 to May 2013; unknown reason
Edgar: 1 year; July 6 to July 6; Due to TUF; next longest 7(once)
Stephens: 7 months; Oct 8 to May 15
LW
Khabib: 7 months; April 16 to Nov 12
Conor: 19 months and counting; 10 if you count Floyd
Tony: All 5+ months layoffs due to injury of himself or opponent

You get the point by now 7 months is rare without outside interference. It'll happen every once in a while but is not common. 5-6 tend to be the most common rest periods.

All of them were top ranking FWs at the time and were in line for a fight. Not sure what you're laughing at.

Conor fought 3 ranked opponents in FW. Dustin, Mendes, and Jose. That is not cleaning out a division.

Edit: looking up numbers myself.

MM -7 months between Moraga and
Benevidez
-7 months between horiguchi and
cariso
-7 months between Dodson and cejudo
-7 months between Borg and Cejudo
(though he did have surgery for that one for sure.)

Werdum
- 8 months between Arlovski and
gonzaga
- 10 months between JDS and Kyle
- 8 months between big foot and Fedor
- 1 year between Fedor and reem
- 7 months between Reem and Nelson
- 1 year between Russo and Big Nog
- 10 months between Not and Browne
- 7 months between Cain and hunt
- 11 months between Cain and Stipe
- 10 months between Browne and reem

According to you, a champion level fighter like werdum couldn't have been ranked top 5 for most of the past decade and mighty mouse would have lost his ranking despite holding the belt.

These were the first two that I thought of.
2 fighters is all you can come up with? That only serves to prove my point of how rare it is. And losing ranking was referring to P4P status.

DJ had been signed to for fights 2-3 months prior to his fights happening, thus his ranking stays. Same can apply to Werdum in some cases.

Also, layoffs tend to be longer at HW in general.

Edit: Some of your numbers seem to be off

The gap between Benivedez and Moraga was about 5.5 months. The gap between Gooch and Cariso is almost 6 months on the dot.

Are you counting the month of the first fight? As a rule of thumb, I do not. It's a given that they will rest for the remainder of that month, so I exclude it.

Last edited:
I'm getting real tired of doing research for Sherdoggers who are too lazy to it it themselves...

Top 3 for each division, longest layoffs uninjured
FLW
DJ:7 months; Sep 5 to Apr 23; Sep 27 to Apr 15;the rest are 4-6
Cejudo: 8 months Apr 23 to Dec 3; due to filming of TUF
Pettis: 7 months Mar 14 to Oct; due to medical suspension
JoeB: 8 months Apr 23 to Dec 3; due to filming of TUF
BW
TJ: 11 months; Dec 30 to Nov 4; TUF and Cody's injury; Next longest is
Cody: 11 months; his first 2 fights; reason unknown
Dom: 1 year; After loss to Faber
Assuncao: 6 months; anything longer was due to injury
FW
Max: 6 months; Dec 12 to June 4
Ortega: 14 months; March 2011 to May 2013; unknown reason
Edgar: 1 year; July 6 to July 6; Due to TUF; next longest 7(once)
Stephens: 7 months; Oct 8 to May 15
LW
Khabib: 7 months; April 16 to Nov 12
Conor: 19 months and counting; 10 if you count Floyd
Tony: All 5+ months layoffs due to injury of himself or opponent

You get the point by now 7 months is rare without outside interference. It'll happen every once in a while but is not common. 5-6 tend to be the most common rest periods.

Lol...look at werdums career my friend.

And yea, 5-6 may be more common, I never argued that. 7 months is still very, very common. Werdums had that shit how many times in his career?

Shit 7 months can happen simply because the UFC can't line up an opponent for you or your opponent pulls out.

Saying somebody has to fight every 6 months or lose spots in the rankings is dumb.

Back