McG vs Khabib - The oversight

Yeah, what is the point in referencing a fight where the allegedly unbeatable wrestler got out wrestled when talking about the plausibility of them being out wrestled...

View attachment 415563
It has no point because fighters improve and gain experience and all that.

But if you want to bring up old fights, McGregor got submitted by Duffy and some no name. Khabib gonna tap him out easy. Doesn't matter that it happened ages ago.

People clinging to Conor’s performance against Mendes when he walked to the octagon looking like death and one knee that could pop at any moment .

A fully fit Mcgregor and Mendes wouldn’t have got near him .

Rememeber when Eddie was supposed to take him down like he did against Pettis ? How did that go ?

Also Khabib better hope he can take him down and keep him there otherwise he is going to walk into a catastrophic KO

Trujillo, Healy, RDA, Barboza and Iaquinta. Khabib did not put them away. He took them down, put in good work and when they got back up he put them down again... But he could not put them away...

Chad Mendes had 2 rounds of high energy, motivation, will, skill and power to cause as much damage as he possibly could to a “helpless” McGregor... He was unable to cause any significant damage.

People want to say Conor is useless on the ground, he is not. Is he a worldclass wrestler like Khabib, of course not but is Khabib a world class striker like Conor, no. That hasn’t stopped either of them from reaching the top.

If Conor does not land early and does indeed get taken down, this fight is not over. He is good enough on the ground to minimize damage and he is willful and skillful enough to make every moment in the stand up a dangerous one for Khabib.

This fight is a tossup and anyone claiming to know otherwise is probably just trying to push their guy.

Ladies and gentleman, this is the fight we have all been waiting for. This is the classic of classics, the striker vs the wrestler, the Anderson vs Gsp that we never got to see. I hope everyone can put their bs to the side and just sit back and enjoy the greatest show in the world.
You forget that Conor never fought anyone as big or bigger than him. Mendez is 5’2. Com on man!!!!

I lost you at “Conor is a world class wrestler.”

You lost yourself because it doesn’t read that. Go back!

It’s funny too because that’s what my brain saw first as well and I thought to myself... Conor fans can’t be this retarded can they? And I reread what he wrote.

There should be a “?” But he left it out.

I generally agree. This would be a great match and an intriguing clash of styles. However, I think TS is significantly overplaying the ideas that Khabib doesn't generally finish fights and that Conor "is good enough on the ground to minimize damage." We've already seen that cardio is Conor's achilles heel - he's admitted as much himself. His history demonstrates that if his opponent pushes the pace, Conor reaches a point of exhaustion fairly early. And Khabib's history demonstrates that his brutal pace zaps the the energy and will out of guys who don't have cardio problems.

It seems to me that Conor has 2 rounds, at most, to get the job done. If it goes past 2 rounds, it's difficult to imagine he'd have the energy to pose any real threat. But for that first round or two, Khabib would be in imminent danger every second the fight remains standing.

It has no point because fighters improve and gain experience and all that.

But if you want to bring up old fights, McGregor got submitted by Duffy and some no name. Khabib gonna tap him out easy. Doesn't matter that it happened ages ago.

Who said fighters can’t improve and gain experience?

And that’s a terrible and irrelevant parallel. But i suppose you can’t fugure out why that’s the case, and school isn’t in session, sorry, bro.

If you can’t see the relevance then there is simply no hope for you. Amazing.

Dude, didn't you make a thread saying you can't see how Conor can win?

This thread is definitely less bias than that one lol
Except my title clearly stated that it was my opinion.

People want to say Conor is useless on the ground, he is not.
Proof?
He is useless on the ground. His methods of finishing are all by striking. Look at his losses, which took place where? On the ground.

Khabib is an overrated WW. He's going to have to finish Conor early which he has shown a complete inability to do. Even Michael Johnson almost survived 3 rounds.
Maybe he likes to punish people. Sure Johnson survived but everyone seemed to wonder when the corner would throw in the towel. He got owned for 3 rds. Had no chance whatsoever

That’s not an elephant it’s more like a feather. Conor is not Thor and his face will suffer if he is down on his back against a world champion of Sambo!

You're being narrow minded.

Mendes had Conor pinned on his back for the vast majority of round 2. Thus, he absolutely could hold him down after landing another TD. Chad, in theory, could have landed another TD and controlled Conor for a large portion of the 3rd as well. Nothing is conflicting about that statement imo.

HOWEVER, I don't think Mendes could have made a comeback in that fight. He was gassed and hurt bad. I think that Chad's top game is poorly suited to pin Conor down. The majority of Conor's defense on the ground comes from his sweeps. Specifically his sweeps from the bottom of guard. Chad is far too complacent in guard to properly lock down Conor. Instead of trying to pass and lock dowm Conor's tools for escape, he went for a Guillotine directly off of his pass. Thus, giving Conor the space he needed to sweep.

Conor ate some mean shots from Chad while in guard but he locked up Chad's movement well enough to force a sweep opportunity. It was a very good performance by Conor.
it just read to me at first like 'Chad would've won if he didn't lose'

People seem to make a lot of excuses for Chad in that fight so I wasn't sure exactly what was being said

Proof?
He is useless on the ground. His methods of finishing are all by striking. Look at his losses, which took place where? On the ground.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

BlankWarmCaecilian.gif

LegitimateCheerfulHyracotherium.gif

McGregor-elbows-bottom.gif

56d0bf6031aa1.gif

1422377422ConorLegDrag.gif

4LnkzLNfKW1W3HMsQxjGWev6OdEUxRX8QPOx4Qz7jXQ.gif

giphy.gif

Iad12ok.gif

Hill_1.gif

giphy.gif

Yup, utterly useless on the ground.

Proof?

You can also go back and watch the Holloway fight or watch the several TD’s defended vs Diaz or take into consideration that his head coach is one of if not the top BJJ instructor in Ireland and his training partner of years now is among the elite in the BJJ world.

1AF82CA5-E813-4317-805F-C07D6C1A16FD.jpeg

I don't see Khabib gassing but agreed. I think if Conor keeps getting back up, he will start catching Khabib

This should be a great fight. Not like the next HW circus show the UFC is selling.

I generally agree. This would be a great match and an intriguing clash of styles. However, I think TS is significantly overplaying the ideas that Khabib doesn't generally finish fights and that Conor "is good enough on the ground to minimize damage." We've already seen that cardio is Conor's achilles heel - he's admitted as much himself. His history demonstrates that if his opponent pushes the pace, Conor reaches a point of exhaustion fairly early. And Khabib's history demonstrates that his brutal pace zaps the the energy and will out of guys who don't have cardio problems.

It seems to me that Conor has 2 rounds, at most, to get the job done. If it goes past 2 rounds, it's difficult to imagine he'd have the energy to pose any real threat. But for that first round or two, Khabib would be in imminent danger every second the fight remains standing.

If McG has only got two rounds in him then Nate would have been able to repeat his performance from the first go around, he couldn’t. Nate, the cardio/volume machine who also happens to be bigger than Conor, like Khabib.

it just read to me at first like 'Chad would've won if he didn't lose'

People seem to make a lot of excuses for Chad in that fight so I wasn't sure exactly what was being said
Fair. There are a lot of factors that went into that fight. I firmly believe that Chad would do better with a full camp but that is still a hard fight for him to win.

Chad did much better than many Conor fans give him credit for but Conor adjusted and took advantage of Chad's weaknesses well.

People clinging to Conor’s performance against Mendes when he walked to the octagon looking like death and one knee that could pop at any moment .

A fully fit Mcgregor and Mendes wouldn’t have got near him .

Rememeber when Eddie was supposed to take him down like he did against Pettis ? How did that go ?

Also Khabib better hope he can take him down and keep him there otherwise he is going to walk into a catastrophic KO
Yeah just like Floyd and Nate!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freddie556
Back