"McG doesn't defend."

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by Wise1, Mar 13, 2018.

1. TheBulletwithWings

TheBulletwithWings WAR EL CUCUY!

Sorry to spoil the bet guys but Tony got this!

2. Paolo Delutis

Paolo Delutis Yellow Card

Im not moving goal posts..having multiple defenses is mothing new..and is the industry or sports standard for measuring how good a fighter is ..

For example randy couture is a multi weight champion too but hes not beloved for just wining titles.. Hes beloved because the man fought everyone available and beat some of the best ever in UFC history..

Thats a mark of a true champion and fight not that ..he just targets people and only fights them..or sit outs waiting for favorable match ups..

3. Spookv

Spookv Brown Belt

Defending a title is literally validating yourself as the best in that category. Conor not so much, dudes been stripped and it wasn't because of injury etc.

Seriously I like him as a fighter and his antics before champ, but after champ he has turned into what he called himself a bum, a rich bum though.

Thepaintbucket likes this.
  4. Kassitus

Kassitus Blue Belt

Agreed. Daddy gets way too much hate.

5. TheBulletwithWings

TheBulletwithWings WAR EL CUCUY!

It only pisses off the people who follow MMA.
    His target was the casuals and them hearing he is fighting for his second belt, Champ Champ nonsense seemed to work. Even if it was just for promotion and basically bullshit, it worked and set him up for the retirement payday.

6. Soul On Ice

Soul On Ice Shookologist Belt

It's a dumb argument because it's not the argument i'm making

I agree it has nothing to do with it because title defenses have little to do with anything, It's a nice argument in the GOAT discussions among us but it doesn't gain you many fans or much popularity, even in the GOAT discussion it's not that important, the consensus Sherdog GOAT has 3 title defenses.

I don't mention the others because they have more than title defenses going for them, whether it's having a country backing you like GSP or being a HL reel machine like Anderson

You seem to think I'm saying if you defend your title you CAN'T be popular or embraced by the fans
    I'm saying it doesn't matter.
    You can have no title defenses and be popular/rich and have a lot of fans
    You can also have only a few title defenses and be considered the GOAT
    Wheres the incentive?

7. Blonde Mousasi

Blonde Mousasi Banned Banned

8. IamStryker

IamStryker Silver Belt

There is no consensus Sherdog GOAT and if there was it would be a fighter with a lot more than 3 title defenses.

Having title defenses does get you some popularity but more importantly it gives you credibility. Conor is not an established champion and what he has done with the LW belt has given him massive backlash. He would have been much better off getting in a title defense here and there.

9. LSU

LSU Banned Banned

It’s nice to see someone living up to their screename other than Kennysucks

10. IamStryker

IamStryker Silver Belt

Conor is a LW and fighting in his natural weight class. He is not someone who moved up because he had nothing left to do and wanted to challenge himself.

Zefram Cochrane and lsa like this.
  11. Thepaintbucket

Thepaintbucket Red Belt

0 title defenses. Dozens of fights and years later. Ducking confirmed.

Conor knew what he was getting himself into when he won the belt yet he avoided defending.

Defend or vacate.

lsa likes this.
  12. Soul On Ice

There is a consensus, most polls i've seen has Fedor as the GOAT around here and I believe he defended his PRIDE title 3 times
    Even if he wasn't the consensus he's up there as one who many consider.

Define "much better off"
    You listed a little popularity and credibility, is that "much better off" than 2 belts and the Mayweather cheque?

Trading a little popularity and credibility for CTE seems like a uneven trade to me

$100M for some CTE...Not bad

13. IamStryker

IamStryker Silver Belt

I believe the topic we started on was how to make the fans love you. If that's the case then I stand by what I said in that he would have a lot more people defending him if he had some title defenses instead of sitting on his ass and getting stripped.

14. MadDogMahoney

MadDogMahoney Brown Belt

Defend or vacate. It's that simple.

15. 613

613 Silver Belt

Conor NEEDED to rematch Nate. Beating Nate was the only way he could get back his marketability

Zefram Cochrane likes this.
  16. Socialhandgrenade

Socialhandgrenade Silver Belt

No one's taking away hos previous accomplishments, he was great before the boxing nonsense. You can say whatever you want in his defence but it doesn't change the fact that he flat out doesn't want to defend. The title is more like a status for him in terms of making money. He should just give up the belt and chase money fights

Zefram Cochrane likes this.
  17. Blonde Mousasi

Blonde Mousasi Banned Banned

I'm with this. Been saying the same thing. I don't blame him for dropping the CW titles to go to the UFC because that's where he would be able to build his brand easily. That's not the issue. The issue is the fact that he's been stripped of two separate titles for the same fucking thing. Not defending while perfectly healthy and ready to fight. He's a punkass pussy with no integrity because if he had any he would understand the honor in giving the next best guy his due shot. Especially when he got both of his shots without really earning them. He talked his way past at least two contenders at FW and never even competed at LW to get that title shot. At least give someone who actually earned that shit a shot at it, lol.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
  18. snackgod

snackgod Brown Belt

so conor isn't ducking khabib I don't believe you. after ufc 205 he said he wanted khabib next and the work is still waiting.

19. Soul On Ice

Based on what?

Did the people who currently criticise Conor for not defending turn on Conor? Or did they already dislike him to begin with?
    Did he lose any fans for not defending?

I stand by my point, they don't really matter
    The same people that hated him still hate him, the same people that liked him still like him
    Him not defending hasn't changed a thing, so I don't see how him defending would change anything either, haters will stay hating, huggers will stay hugging

A lengthy reign will get in the GOAT discussion, not embraced by the people.
    DJ is on a killing spree and no one outside our little MMA bubble cares, even a large portion inside the bubble don't care.

20. snackgod

snackgod Brown Belt

and after tony wins I case in my ticket