Mayweather vs Maidana 2 RBR

I legit thought he may have killed Tra Telligman when they fought.

Without completely derailing this thread, allow me to share some opinions on the Mayweather Fight.

1) Despite Mayweather looking great, and still remarkably in his prime, this fight was anti-climatic compared to the first one. Most likely because it was very one sided. I think I had it 10-2, or 9-3.

2) I thought Bayless did break up several of the clinches too early. (not that it would have made much difference)

3) Mayweather has power, and incredible accuracy. Some of his counters and shots were a thing of beauty...I love the feint, dodge, RIGHT...there were several points in the fight where he had Maidana visibly hurt...especially with the body blow followed up with the shot to the head. (I forgot what round it was)

And as a fight fan, I can see why so many others get frustrated with Mayweather...the same criticism hurled at GSP when he was champion. Fight fans want fighters to go in for the "kill" rather than "play it safe."

(I perfectly understand why Mayweather fights the way he does, playing it safe)

I think Mayweather is perfectly capable of stopping his opponents. I honestly thought he could have stopped Guerrero, he was landing at will and in rounds 9, 10, 11 he had visibly hurt, shaken and completely vunerable.

Same as in his fight with SSM. There was a moment (I think it was the 10th or 11th), he rocked Mosley and his legs almost gave out under him. Why he didn't follow up additional shots was very frustrating.

I'm not sure how many of you remember this, but the first Morales vs Pac fight.

Morales was clearly ahead on the scorecards and could have coasted and played it safe, similar to what Mayweather did last night. Instead, he decided to stay in the middle of the ring and slug it out with a dangerous fighter, taking a risk he didn't have to.

That is something many fight fans love...it could go back to our primordial blood lust...or primitive savagery,

That is something many fight fans love...it could go back to our primordial blood lust...or primitive savagery,

absolutley! but you just cant expect everyone to be like morales <3

IncompleteComplicatedKid.gif

Looks like Floyd may have lost a tooth from that punch, see something go flying in that gif

Without completely derailing this thread, allow me to share some opinions on the Mayweather Fight.

(I perfectly understand why Mayweather fights the way he does, playing it safe)

I think Mayweather is perfectly capable of stopping his opponents. I honestly thought he could have stopped Guerrero, he was landing at will and in rounds 9, 10, 11 he had visibly hurt, shaken and completely vunerable.

Same as in his fight with SSM. There was a moment (I think it was the 10th or 11th), he rocked Mosley and his legs almost gave out under him. Why he didn't follow up additional shots was very frustrating.
Dude was sharp. He really needs to be careful with that pull counter though. Someone's gonna eventually pay attention and knock his ass out...

your points are valid though. He could've KO'd JMM, Mosley, Cotto, Guerrero and Maidana. Every guy since De La Hoya except for Canelo. He just doesn't care for it for some reason.

I think Floyd fought tactically much better than he did in the first fight, but it wasn't one of his best performances.

I think Floyd fought tactically much better than he did in the first fight, but it wasn't one of his best performances.

All he had to do was open up a little in spurts and it would've looked like the Gatti fight. He had Maidana that bewildered. Marcos was taking deep breaths by the 6th. Floyd could've embarrassed him and just chose to hang out for 12 rounds.

All he had to do was open up a little in spurts and it would've looked like the Gatti fight. He had Maidana that bewildered. Marcos was taking deep breaths by the 6th. Floyd could've embarrassed him and just chose to hang out for 12 rounds.

The fight was heading in that direction (it was never going to on the level of the Gatti fight, but Floyd was working him early) until he got hurt late in the 3rd. That caused Floyd to fight a little more conservatively, I think. He could have done more, but Maidana is a very dangerous puncher, and was catching him from time to time from odd angles. In the end, we probably shouldn't expect a 37 year old fighter to do much more than win clearly and safely against top competition, but a lot is expected from Floyd.

Floyd Mayweather - boxing's greatest humanitarian.

Give him a Nobel Peace Prize for his commitment to peace and nonviolence (unless it relates to rabbit punching the mother of his children in front of said children.)

The fight was heading in that direction (it was never going to on the level of the Gatti fight, but Floyd was working him early) until he got hurt late in the 3rd. That caused Floyd to fight a little more conservatively, I think. He could have done more, but Maidana is a very dangerous puncher, and was catching him from time to time from odd angles. In the end, we probably shouldn't expect a 37 year old fighter to do much more than win clearly and safely against top competition, but a lot is expected from Floyd.

I just wish he'd put an ol' fashioned ass whuppin on a guy for once, the way he used to back in the day. He has the arsenal to do it, he just plays it safe. I admire it, but at the same time, loathe it.

Give him a Nobel Peace Prize for his commitment to peace and nonviolence (unless it relates to rabbit punching the mother of his children in front of said children.)

Brilliant and worthwhile post.

what-you-did-there-i-see-it.thumbnail.jpg

Dude was sharp. He really needs to be careful with that pull counter though. Someone's gonna eventually pay attention and knock his ass out...

You saw that too. You could see Maidana had worked that counter in camp. He got close several times. I was smiling watching him try to pull it off. Really it was a slick set up, high level timing stuff. Jab or faint then wait for the right hand to come and sling his own while angling off to avoid the punch.

Anyone else feel like Floyd was fighting with a Roy Jones like style at times?

what i dont see on here is people giving floyd his props for this fight and the last fight.

Before the last fight floyd said he would bang with maidana and people didnt give any props for the fight. Gave more credit to maidana for coming forward.

well here comes the next fight and floyd fights a masterpiece where he barely got touched. The fighter is truly fucking amazing

Back