Mayweather/McGregor Discussion

Who wins?

• Total voters
It is arguably. Theres so much hype for this fight. It will sell like crazy.

Not to mention that it is a once in a lifetime event

Its not arguable. Ali fights were bigger then the Superbowl. Frazier VS Ali was more watched then the moon landing.

Its not arguable. Ali fights were bigger then the Superbowl. Frazier VS Ali was more watched then the moon landing.

People shouldn't be basing it just on interest and total viewership numbers anyways. If they did then they'd have to say that Bob Sapp vs Akebono was the "biggest" kickboxing event of recent times if not all time. It wasn't. They would also have to say that Kimbo Slice was involved in 3 of the 5 "biggest" MMA fights seen on US television over the past 15 years. Again, he wasn't. Shit, back at the end of Ali's time, Ed Too Tall Jones drew more viewers to CBS for his first couple of pro fights than some of the bigger stars did at the time when they were featured on network television. Certainly doesn't mean his fights were "bigger". What the interest level and viewership numbers behind Sapp, Kimbo, Jones (and many others) shows is that there are combat sports events that can appeal to people's morbid curiousity on a widespread level. But those were certainly not "big" fights in their respective sports. They were basically insignificant besides the fact that they appealed to a mass audience.

People shouldn't be basing it just on interest and total viewership numbers anyways. If they did then they'd have to say that Bob Sapp vs Akebono was the "biggest" kickboxing event of recent times if not all time. It wasn't. They would also have to say that Kimbo Slice was involved in 3 of the 5 "biggest" MMA fights seen on US television over the past 15 years. Again, he wasn't. Shit, back at the end of Ali's time, Ed Too Tall Jones drew more viewers to CBS for his first couple of pro fights than some of the bigger stars did at the time when they were featured on network television. Certainly doesn't mean his fights were "bigger". What the interest level and viewership numbers behind Sapp, Kimbo, Jones (and many others) shows is that there are combat sports events that can appeal to people's morbid curiousity on a widespread level. But those were certainly not "big" fights in their respective sports. They were basically insignificant besides the fact that they appealed to a mass audience.

My dad grew up in a rural village in Korea and he said the entire village would gather around the one television in the entire village to watch Ali fight. Nobody is fucking doing that for Mayweather vs McGregor. People talk about it on social media and catch the highlights on youtube, then forget about it a few days later.

My dad grew up in a rural village in Korea and he said the entire village would gather around the one television in the entire village to watch Ali fight. Nobody is fucking doing that for Mayweather vs McGregor. People talk about it on social media and catch the highlights on youtube, then forget about it a few days later.

Thats not true and if it were free to poor little villages Im sure they would be gathered around too.

This is a once in a life time sporting event that will be huge. This will not beforgotten because of mma fans and there will be copy cats. MMA fighters that want conors pay will be dying to get in the boxing ring.

You might not like it but its going to be huge like it or not

were talking about the fight in this thread. What hijack?
I responded to a post in a mcgregor mayweather fight that mentioned neither, but talked about Ali Frazier and the Superbowl. That isn't on topic.

might jack the thread now tho. Just found out chester bennington from linkin park killed himself. FUck

I responded to a post in a mcgregor mayweather fight that mentioned neither, but talked about Ali Frazier and the Superbowl. That isn't on topic.

what thread are you in? and who am i talking about?

That should help you

Thats not true and if it were free to poor little villages Im sure they would be gathered around too.

This is a once in a life time sporting event that will be huge. This will not beforgotten because of mma fans and there will be copy cats. MMA fighters that want conors pay will be dying to get in the boxing ring.

You might not like it but its going to be huge like it or not
Most likely outcome is that Mayweather very easily beats McGregor. Now after that happens, why would the casual sports fan get sold on watching another MMA fighter box against a boxer?

Most likely outcome is that Mayweather very easily beats McGregor. Now after that happens, why would the casual sports fan get sold on watching another MMA fighter box against a boxer?

UFC always has a flavor of the week

UFC always has a flavor of the week
And the casual fan will know that the UFC flavour of the week has no chance in a boxing match against the boxer. It'll just be common knowledge. They'll know that the fight won't match the hype. So they won't buy it on the same scale ever again.

First of all that weird looking creature doing the interviews is not human let alone Irish. Secondly I am working in Africa and I have locals here all jumping up and down thinking Mcgregor is going to destroy Mayweather. I think the UFC really has marketed itself so well internationally that most of the population (that have no clue about fighting of any type) think the hype is real lol.

Disclaimer- I'm Irish and embarassed lol.

Edit- it is going to be miserable as an Irishman living in the USA after this fight and the embarassment it will be...do any of you Americans realise how many fucking people per day I will have talking to me about that fight for the next 2 years???? fuckers lol.
Welcome to being Filipino, but not a Pacquiao fan.

damn there really a thread in here on this.

i am thinking mcgregor falls around round 8ish. Chopped down like Hatton

And the casual fan will know that the UFC flavour of the week has no chance in a boxing match against the boxer. It'll just be common knowledge. They'll know that the fight won't match the hype. So they won't buy it on the same scale ever again.

I dont think that is right. It might not be for a long time but if you have a guy like stipioic and a guy like Wilder why wouldnt a fan believe that their UFC guy has a chance.

Not everyone in boxing has floyd level defense. Shit theyre talking win lose or draw conor might face the winner of ggg vs canelo. people know that floyd is hard to hit but put conor in a fight with the latter 2 then we get fireworks.

The odds are conor gets crushed but do you see how these casuals minds work

Yes but you were bitching before that. Do you realize that?
I said you had gone off piste, and you had. The Ali Frazier and super bowl stuff had nothing to do with the topic. Keep it in your pants. I have no issue with you and I've derailed threads before so I'm no angel, it just seemed like there were still things to talk about and it was getting swerved.

Back