Mayweather/McGregor Discussion

Who wins?

• Total voters
By the end of the fight Mayweather could have easily knocked out The Ghost/Berto/Mosley/Cotto/Marquez but he chose to let them all go the distance rather than step on the gas and finish off any of them. He isn't willing to risk knocking anyone out because it increases the odds of him getting caught ever so slightly. If he cared about the "fans" or his legacy he would have at the very least knocked out Berto in his farewell fight but he doesn't. The win and the purse are all he wants. Nothing wrong with that but it makes it nearly impossible to expect him to knockout anyone.

yes, but those were elite boxers, with both the physical and technical ability to actually land something on him and hurt him. they'd all certainly knock mcgregor the fuck out, possibly in the first round.

conor can't box, he has shown suspect cardio, and he's been tagged multiple times by nate diaz. he's been finished in all 3 of his losses, he isn't some gritty fighter with incredible heart - i'd say he's a front runner. a brilliant one, but when things go south, he usually loses. so he has neither the technique, cardio, chin, or even heart to go 12 rounds. the way i see it, floyd can't even carry him all the way to the scorecards, not unless he completely stops punching him. and why on earth would he? he's facing a guy that's making his debut, in floyd's 50th fucking fight.

i don't expect floyd to one punch KO him (though it wouldn't shock me, tbh), but he can certainly land 20 unanswered shots from the outside, while conor hits nothing but air and gasses badly. the accumulation of punishment puts him down, or the ref stops it. unless floyd lost 90% of his fighting ability, this isn't even a fight. it's bag work for floyd.

Wasn't that kid McCoy?

Yes, that could very well be one of them. I don't keep track of this stuff, I just remember going "what in the fuck is wrong with you people" when reading their predictions before the fight and seeing how much confidence they appeared to have in them. Stupidity on that level is something you'd expect from someone who just got into fighting sports, but certainly not from someone who's been around for a while.

Yes, that could very well be one of them. I don't keep track of this stuff, I just remember going "what in the fuck is wrong with you people" when reading their predictions before the fight and seeing how much confidence they appeared to have in them. Stupidity on that level is something you'd expect from someone who just got into fighting sports, but certainly not from someone who's been around for a while.
I'm fairly sure he got banned after that fight for trolling the shit out of the heavies.

There were even a couple of long time, respected posters on this subforum who asserted that Toney would win that fight. That's basically how you disqualify yourself from the discussion for all future. I mean, how fucking retarded would you be to not see how that fight was going to go?

The problem was the opponent. If you are even a novice MMA fan you would have known Toney had no chance. If they picked Dos Santos or Rampage he might have been some sort of show, but Randy was probably the worst sort of match up for a boxer crossing over, I think Dana was pissing his pants laughing when he made that fight.

What if Floyd puts a beating so bad on Conor, that he actually dies from the punishment afterwards? It just got me thinking about it with all these recent deaths going on in combat sports lately. Its the commissions job to protect fighters. The skill and experience disparity is ginormous here.

The problem was the opponent. If you are even a novice MMA fan you would have known Toney had no chance. If they picked Dos Santos or Rampage he might have been some sort of show, but Randy was probably the worst sort of match up for a boxer crossing over, I think Dana was pissing his pants laughing when he made that fight.

True. Absolutely horrible match up for someone whose boxing style is not even well suited for MMA. That fight was obviously going to the ground quickly.

What if Floyd puts a beating so bad on Conor, that he actually dies from the punishment afterwards? It just got me thinking about it with all these recent deaths going on in combat sports lately. Its the commissions job to protect fighters. The skill and experience disparity is ginormous here.

The fight should of course never have been sanctioned. Sure, Conor is a top level pro fighter, but in a very different sport, so allowing him to fight a 12 round fight against an unbeaten opponent considered by some to be the best to ever do it reeks of corruption, incompetence, or both.

Fight will be a shitshow in itself. You got to be a sucker if y'all paying for it.

Watch the stream or if its free in your region; besides that save the money for another more meaningful fight, including GGG vs Canelo or something else.
Why do people like you even comment? We get it! Its a shit show but why go out of your way to try and make others not pay for it? Stop whining and don't pay if you don't like it. Some people like myself will happily pay for both canelo/ggg and Floyd/conor and we don't need you to tell us what to do.

I can't believe how many people are convinced the same guy beats Floyd.
The power of emotion over logic. Wanting something to happen over it actually happening to the point where they make themselves believe it.

He wasn't outboxed. He got tired. He jumped two weight classes for this fight and his cardio was messed up.
He didn't take Nate seriously and he paid for it.

oh come on, i expect that sort of crap in the heavies, but guys here should know better. he jumped up precisely one weight class. mcgregor vs diaz was sanctioned at 170lbs, but neither man is a welterweight and neither man cut any weight for that fight. conor weighed in at 168lbs, nate weighed in at 169. that's pretty much standard fight night weight for lightweights.

he was also in camp to fight for the title vs a prime RDA, he definitely trained seriously. the opponent change happened what, 12 days before the fight? he spent 6-7 weeks preparing for the best lightweight in the world, he was in shape. or did he not take nate seriously during the fight?

oh and he gassed at pretty much the same time in the second nate fight, the only difference was that nate also slowed down completely. his cardio wasn't messed up for that lone occasion in the first fight, his cardio just isn't there.

This thread is clearly non-serious. I can't believe people are trying to rebut TS's thesis.

c2767e6259674b9a60ad4237937a36cd.png

This thread is clearly non-serious. I can't believe people are trying to rebut TS's thesis.

Dude. Don't you watch Brendan Schaub? He says Conor will destroy Floyd with his wide stance.

Conor gassed badly fighting at a pace and with greater pressure than he was used to in the fight fight, plus actually getting hit. His conditioning isn't great though so he still gassed partly in the second fight, and he doesn't seem mentally all that strong when he gets pushed, but then he's not used to those tough situations and the Diaz fights may have helped him there. Obviously not to any significant extent to prepare him for a beating vs Mayweather.

we all know on paper and skillset floyd should be able to destroy conor.

However we need to consider there's a huge age gap between them, and with age you lose your abilities. Also conor will be quite larger come fight night, he has more muscle mass and will have the extra power/weight in his punches.

The reality is conor only needs to hit floyd with a one clean, solid shot that has enough force behind it to rock or wobble floyd...conor will then go in for the kill and either floyd will weather the storm and shake conor off or conor will get the finish.

When you take the age difference and size difference come fight night you simply can't count conor out and believing he has no chance landing something big, even if fans do say its luck.

You take both guys at the same age no doubt floyd destroys conor with ease, but floyd is older, his body can't take punches like he use to, and conor will be the stronger hitter, if conor wins it will tarnish boxing for a long time...a guy who has no experience finishes the p4p best and does something no other professional boxer could, ya that looks real good for the ufc but bad for boxing.

we better hope floyd is on top of his A game and actually makes it look easy beating conor, but we have to realistic and give conor the benefit of the doubt that if he actually does catch floyd with a solid punch who knows what could happen.

we all know on paper and skillset floyd should be able to destroy conor.

However we need to consider there's a huge age gap between them, and with age you lose your abilities. Also conor will be quite larger come fight night, he has more muscle mass and will have the extra power/weight in his punches.

The reality is conor only needs to hit floyd with a one clean, solid shot that has enough force behind it to rock or wobble floyd...conor will then go in for the kill and either floyd will weather the storm and shake conor off or conor will get the finish.

When you take the age difference and size difference come fight night you simply can't count conor out and believing he has no chance landing something big, even if fans do say its luck.

You take both guys at the same age no doubt floyd destroys conor with ease, but floyd is older, his body can't take punches like he use to, and conor will be the stronger hitter, if conor wins it will tarnish boxing for a long time...a guy who has no experience finishes the p4p best and does something no other professional boxer could, ya that looks real good for the ufc but bad for boxing.

we better hope floyd is on top of his A game and actually makes it look easy beating conor, but we have to realistic and give conor the benefit of the doubt that if he actually does catch floyd with a solid punch who knows what could happen.
It's not the age difference that matters, it's the skill difference. Conor has no chance. His power is also overrated. Guys like Canelo, Cotto, and De La Hoya all hit harder than Conor and none of those guys had anything for Floyd. I'd bet a lot of welters Floyd fought also hit harder than Conor. The UFC marketing machine if fucking amazing...

I'm guessing that I am in the minority when I say that I still cannot believe they're going to let this farce happen.

Not to say PBF doesn't deserve whatever he wants, he's laced them up and proved himself time and time again. However, for him to break the record with basically some bum off the street is slightly appalling.

The only funny part of this, is the amount of people that have tried to tell me that Connor has even the slightest of a chance.

I reckon that is the general stance from most boxing fans in all honesty and probably the vast majority of those that post in this boxing section. I think we're both naive to think this wasn't going to happen. I just didn't think tjere would be demand for such a pointless mismatch!

It is laughable that Floyd is going to break the record against a guy who's never had a pro fight but Connor chased this fight to bolster his bank balance. No one is going to turn down the money offered, especially mayweather lol.

Back