Mayweather calls MMA "a barbaric sport" in latest Instagram rant

What planet are you on where boxing is considered a dying sport?

The one where an arguable GOAT comes put of retirement for a freakshow just for payday. Are we going to pretend that the fact that boxing gets bigger PPV paydays it has the same aura as it did in the 90s and early 00s?

On the other hand, MMA has been on an upswing in the same period to the point where an unranked boxer Conor McGregor has enough of a name value among the casuals and fams alike to ask - and get - a fight with someone like Mayweather. In the overall scheme of things boxing isn't dead, but you can bet your house if you have it, wife, children and extended family that a random preson in the streets knows more active UFC fighters than boxers. That's not even a question. Do t hey know a lot about the sport? Maybe not. Does it matter? Not at all.

Speaking at least for the US. Europe is a bit different and I can't comment any longer, I've been in the US last 14 years so I don't have the same impression. But here, yeah, MMA > boxing, easily.

He's delusional if he thinks he's the greatest athlete ever. Kind of funny coming from an athlete who's protected by weight classes.

He's not even the greatest athlete in boxing. Prime Sugar Ray Leonard beats any version of Mayweather. And there are other boxers who are better, P4P. He benefitted from generally weak competition and ducking some fighters while they were in their primes.

The one where an arguable GOAT comes put of retirement for a freakshow just for payday.
...And demonstrates that a BOXING MATCH is able to draw 4.6 million+ PPV buys at the price of $100?
Are we going to pretend that the fact that boxing gets bigger PPV paydays it has the same aura as it did in the 90s and early 00s?
No, but the sport isn't dying. Top boxers still get paid more than top MMA fighters by far.

On the other hand, MMA has been on an upswing in the same period to the point where an unranked boxer Conor McGregor has enough of a name value among the casuals and fams alike to ask - and get - a fight with someone like Mayweather.
You forgot to mention that he's MMA's ONLY star, and all he has to do is lose a few times for those PPV numbers to fall. He already peaked.

In the overall scheme of things boxing isn't dead, but you can bet your house if you have it, wife, children and extended family that a random preson in the streets knows more active UFC fighters than boxers. That's not even a question. Do t hey know a lot about the sport? Maybe not. Does it matter? Not at all.
The average person on the street would only know about Conor McGregor.

The best athletes ever don't get punched in the head for a living.

One other thing that I would mention is that some of you all are talking about the sports of MMA and boxing, but then using only a tiny, tiny fraction of the sport (guys like Conor or May or ultra-unique events) as your reference point for comparison.

If you want to know about the health of entire sports, you need to dig into the entire distribution of fighters and events, not just the upper-uppermost crust.

Lol.....breaking news here guys.

And Mighty Mouse would make Floyd his bitch.

The one where an arguable GOAT comes put of retirement for a freakshow just for payday. Are we going to pretend that the fact that boxing gets bigger PPV paydays it has the same aura as it did in the 90s and early 00s?

On the other hand, MMA has been on an upswing in the same period to the point where an unranked boxer Conor McGregor has enough of a name value among the casuals and fams alike to ask - and get - a fight with someone like Mayweather. In the overall scheme of things boxing isn't dead, but you can bet your house if you have it, wife, children and extended family that a random preson in the streets knows more active UFC fighters than boxers. That's not even a question. Do t hey know a lot about the sport? Maybe not. Does it matter? Not at all.

Speaking at least for the US. Europe is a bit different and I can't comment any longer, I've been in the US last 14 years so I don't have the same impression. But here, yeah, MMA > boxing, easily.

Just because mayweather had a freakfight doesnt mean boxing is in a bad place. Ali had one in the 70s against inoki and boxing was doing pretty good back then.. I guess MMA is more popular in america for a certain agegroup but here in europe pretty much nobody gives a damn about mma and that goes for a lot of countries. Boxing is a universally respected sport, MMA is not. And I love MMA.

Just being a typical oldfag. Willing to wager more young boxers are at least casual fans of MMA than not.

Boxing isn't barbaric it's just moronic. Idiots are incapable of figuring out a rule set to manage KOs better.
I’d say limiting the sport to mostly repeated blows to the head pretty barbaric. To think otherwise is pretty fucking dumb.

I will agree with you about their ruleset though.

bad argument. MMA is gaining ground fast in that department considering boxing goes all the way back to the pyramids.
There are numerous boxing deaths around the world every year. You don’t have to go back to the pyramid age to know that.

MMA I believe has had a handful since it became ‘mainstream’ but a few of them were attributed to bad weight cuts.

Both sports are pretty brutal.

...And demonstrates that a BOXING MATCH is able to draw 4.6 million+ PPV buys at the price of $100?

No, but the sport isn't dying. Top boxers still get paid more than top MMA fighters by far.

Canelo is your biggest star. He made 5 million for the GGG fight. GGG made 3 million.

UFC 205 Conor made $3,590,000
UFC 202 Conor made 3 million. Nate Diaz made 2 million

And this doesn't include PPV points. Doesn't seem that far off to me.

I don't know much about your boxing stars, but I remember Chocolito because I was making this argument months ago to compare the boxing purse with the UFC 116 purse. They both happened on the same weekend. This guy Chocolito was the biggest star of the night. His purse was 600 k. HIs opponents purse was 120 k . Tony Ferguson, who nobody outside of MMA knows made 500k.

The point is, outside of a hand full of boxers, they're not getting paid that much more than MMA. fighters. That's a myth.

Last edited:
I’d say limiting the sport to mostly repeated blows to the head pretty barbaric. To think otherwise is pretty fucking dumb.

I will agree with you about their ruleset though.

No, because the intention is the exact opposite. It's just ignorant more than anything. Rules just need to be adjusted.

You cant adjust the rules for MMA to stop the sheer brutality involved in it, without it basically not being MMA anymore.

Also says there's only one G.O.A.T. and he's the greatest athlete ever.

When will MMA catch a break? always getting sonned by boxing lmao

Boxing needed an MMA fighter to do record numbers
That is hardly "sonned"

If MMA were truly "sonned", Floyd would beat Conor in MMA, but we know that he would never do something like that.

Mayweather calls MMA... Who cares? If you like it what does it matter what someone else thinks?

Back