Maybe "fixed fights" are just bouts between old-timers?

TedCzech

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
I initially thought the Ortiz-Sonnen fight was fixed in some way, and yeah, the suspicion is still there, but I started looking at it from another angle ... so the last few fights that come to mind where fixing has been suspected -- Shamrock vs Kimbo, Shamrock vs Gracie and Ortiz vs Sonnen -- were all held under the Bellator banner, an organization that seems dedicated, at least in part, to what Pat Miletich called "the Geritol Posse."

And, all of the fighters involved are (were, RIP Kimbo) in their 40s and 50s. So, is it that these fights are simply older fighters who can't perform like 25-year-old studs anymore? If you hold a fight between two veterans, is this what it looks like?

Chael was purple that wasn't a fix.. he just has terrible JJ and couldn't escape

What if Sonnen just came off the couch and sucks.

Which is much much more likely regardless of the tin hats of sherdog.

I initially thought the Ortiz-Sonnen fight was fixed in some way, and yeah, the suspicion is still there, but I started looking at it from another angle ... so the last few fights that come to mind where fixing has been suspected -- Shamrock vs Kimbo, Shamrock vs Gracie and Ortiz vs Sonnen -- were all held under the Bellator banner, an organization that seems dedicated, at least in part, to what Pat Miletich called "the Geritol Posse."

And, all of the fighters involved are (were, RIP Kimbo) in their 40s and 50s. So, is it that these fights are simply older fighters who can't perform like 25-year-old studs anymore? If you hold a fight between two veterans, is this what it looks like?

Its not boxing Fixes don't happen at high level.

Chael was purple that wasn't a fix.. he just has terrible JJ and couldn't escape

There's that.

But the big thing is Tito and Sonnen are similar style wise. Sub par strikers with good wrestling and ground and pound. There was no way Sonnen was going to go in and beat Tito at that game. Tito is the larger version of Sonnen.

The fight wasn't fixed. There's nothing Chael did/does/do better than Tito in regards to MMA.

every fight you listed was a fix. donst matter if the winner didnt know before hand. a dive is a dive

I don't really have a problem with Chael tapping on the face of it, I do think he could have (should have?) "tried harder" and gotten out, but I can certainly believe that Tito had it just right or Chael simply gave up.

This is the weird thing:

WTF is that? Why is it happening? I'm not totally sold that it was "the signal" to change positions but it's definitely fucking weird.

I'm pretty much OK with the rest of it.

every fight you listed was a fix. donst matter if the winner didnt know before hand. a dive is a dive
Well that's one way to do it. Then you have the agreement between the two fighters, then a third way is if the promoter or an outside entity/person is involved. Several ways it can be done.

I don't really have a problem with Chael tapping on the face of it, I do think he could have (should have?) "tried harder" and gotten out, but I can certainly believe that Tito had it just right or Chael simply gave up.

This is the weird thing:

WTF is that? Why is it happening? I'm not totally sold that it was "the signal" to change positions but it's definitely fucking weird.

I'm pretty much OK with the rest of it.

Yeah I don't know about you guys, but I've never seen a fighter do that before. There's the tap and the thumb's up, but initially that looked to me like he was trying to signal Chael in some way. ... I don't know what to think, guess that's why I made the thread.

lol chael is old? hes not even 40.

DanHenderson is like 45 and has not looked to be in any fixed fights in the UFC

By Volume alone the number of old fighters that have fought in the UFC is at least 10 times more than Bellator

All of the old time fighters, freaks etc that ever fought in the UFC under ZUFFA stewardship have never been in a suspected fix

But Bellator has had two major suspected fixes in the last two years.

Both times involving the main events of tent poles

Let's be honest here the evidence is that both RIZIN and Bellator are fixing things

It was a fix, don't be dissuaded by the naysayers.

Someone can't take money to be choked? Do you think a blood choke hurts you at all other than making you look like Barney for a moment?

My guess is that these particular fighters either wouldn't fight at this point to begin with unless they can control certain outcomes (ie getting hurt). All they have left is their name/brand at this point since they are nostalgia acts now, trying to milk fans of their money on their farewell tours.

Ken has been losing questionable for years and years.

Royce hadn't fought in years and then fought Ken.

Kimbo (RIP) couldn't even move, had limited skills but was a draw.

Chael doesn't really lose anything by dropping a bout to Tito as he has a built in excuse of a long layoff/rusty/off-night.

Most of these fighters have done some pro wrestling training or actual pro wrestling. What it has in common is that both are a business and it is all about entertaining the fans and getting paid without getting hurt.

I highly doubt Bellator, Spike, and Viacom would even for one second think about fixing a fight. It would completely tear the org to its foundation. Overnight Bellator would be be gone. Sure the hell aren't going to risk that on any of those fights you mention because at the end of the day it doesn't matter who wins any of those fights cause there isn't anything massive to gain win or lose.

Now if you want to talk Pride early days I understand.

Back