Max HR Question

KylePulley

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
I understand its genetic and can't be changed significantly and that its not related to performance. I also understand it is sport specific. Running Max HR will be different then biking (I assume biking is lower because your sitting?)

My question is:

Would all standing activities have roughly the same max HR? (Mauy Thai vs Running) or are there other factors I'm unaware of?

I don't know what the research says on it, but I would think so(unless you happen to be pool running or some other aquatic activity). Why do you ask?

gspieler: I'm curious because I like to do eliptical for aerobic work (low impact) and I want to make sure my HR is where its support to be. I know my max HR for running so I wanted to know if it could be used for eliptical. I'm sure if there is a difference its minimal.

Lat Flare: Interesting read, I thought it was based on how much muscle mass your incorporating.

gspieler: I'm curious because I like to do eliptical for aerobic work (low impact) and I want to make sure my HR is where its support to be. I know my max HR for running so I wanted to know if it could be used for eliptical. I'm sure if there is a difference its minimal.

Lat Flare: Interesting read, I thought it was based on how much muscle mass your incorporating.
I can't imagine there is signiicant difference in running vs eliptical. In any case, you should be able to use a combination of your HR and perceived rate of exertion to get a good estimate of your intensity.

It sounds strange that different acyivities produce different max heart rates. I would think your heart will max out at the same rate regardless of activity, as long as the activity is taxing enough.

It sounds strange that different acyivities produce different max heart rates. I would think your heart will max out at the same rate regardless of activity, as long as the activity is taxing enough.
IIRC, HR at any given intensity, is generally lower while swimming vs running, biking, etc. I think it has something to do with thermal regulation, and the pool being a cooler environment. I've never heard of any differences in land-based activities, though.

Sitting is lower than standing. It simply takes less effort for the heart to circulate blood when you aren't in a standing position

IIRC, HR at any given intensity, is generally lower while swimming vs running, biking, etc. I think it has something to do with thermal regulation, and the pool being a cooler environment. I've never heard of any differences in land-based activities, though.
This is a large part of it due to the body not needing to reroute blood to the peripheral cutaneous areas. Body position also does matter as well as muscle groups involved. Standing requires more effort than sitting, as well as more muscle useage will require more oxygenation and an increase in hr over time due to cardiovascular drift(affected by temperature).

I know i keep telling ppl this hut i have a very good DL book on environmental physiology. Just pm for emailing to anyone.

Back