Max Holloway is the definition of a TRUE mma champion!

rb3b3

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Somewhere down the road these new age fighters lost site of why fighters stepped into the octagon.. When the ufc first started, as you guys know, it was all about who the baddest toughest man on the planet was with basically no rules.. a true street fight if you will. It was NEVER about money or picking who you want to fight. It really makes me sick to see what the ufc has become. Dont get me wrong i love watching mma. I just hate how it is now with most all of the champions basically picking and choosing who they want to fight and holding out because they want more money.

Max Holloway in my opinion is the true definition of an mma champion. You NEVER hear him complain about money, He will fight ANYONE anytime to prove he is the baddest man on the planet. He is such a respectful guy and more ufc fighters should take note. I wish he was the pov king, he sure as shit deserves it! People wonder why mma cards are doing shitty ppv numbers and all the ufc has to do is look in the mirror for letting their fighters get away with this ish!

OK sorry fellas rant over.

It is what it is.

Anyone who becomes champ and has one defense is a true champion imo.

And no that wasnt a jab at McGregor but you need to defend once IMO to prove your legitimacy as champion. Even then you could argue that just winning the belt defines you as a true champion.

PS - champions that talk shit usually pull more than those who dont. The exception being GSP.

Anyone who becomes champ and has one defense is a true champion imo.

And no that wasnt a jab at McGregor but you need to defend once IMO to prove your legitimacy as champion. Even then you could argue that just winning the belt defines you as a true champion.

PS - champions that talk shit usually pull more than those who dont. The exception being GSP.

i think your missing my point.. i agree with you, but max never mentions money and hes ready and willing to fight anyone the ufc throws at him. His mindset is to show he is the best in the game and so many other fighters and champions need to follow his lead. Better yet the ufc need to make their fighters follow his lead.

So wanting to get paid = not a true champion?

Isn’t he one of the guys who had the pleasure of getting demolished by the Goat?

I really like Max, he's one of my favourite fighters to watch right now. His boxing may be the best and he has a "just scrap" mentality. It's great.

But he's 26. Let's wait till he puts 3-4 title defenses up, and watches Conor walk in and double what he made over those years in a night and see how he feels.

Max may claim not to care about money now, at least publicly, but when the years start counting down he's going to do what every man does, and consider his family's well being.

Lets see how long it takes for him to get civilized after making comfortable living money

i think your missing my point.. i agree with you, but max never mentions money and hes ready and willing to fight anyone the ufc throws at him. His mindset is to show he is the best in the game and so many other fighters and champions need to follow his lead. Better yet the ufc need to make their fighters follow his lead.
I disagree. Once you become a champion it is then that you start making life changing money. You dont stay at the top for very long (serra, HW champions, bisping, lawler etc). You have all the leverage at that point to make real money. Theyre putting their health on the line every time they go out there. The smart thing to do is hold out when you have the belt to get the deal you want. Yeah, honor and fighting everyone at anytime is cool but you'd be silly not to use the championship as leverage.

He is......... But Stipe and DC got potential to top that as well.

War Holloway! War Aldo!

Both are true champs wanting to prove they are the best by beating the best!

I want to get paid too dont you? everyone wants to get paid but what are u bringing to the table?? entitlement is plaguing our nation as a whole. If your fights sell im sure you would get paid very handsomely. max never talks money. He wants to prove he is the best. thats the difference.

"Hey Max, we'll give you a hundred million to hold up the division and go fight Floyd Mayweather"

"Nah, bro. I'm a true champ."

I actually like Max but unless you see a fighter turn down large sums of money to fight the "true contenders" or whatever that's all just hearsay/opinion/belief.

Don't think any of these old school mma fighters didn't wish they were getting paid the big bucks either. You think someone like Mark Coleman would turn down fighting one person to fight another if the difference was a couple hundred thousand dollars? sorry doesn't fly.

I get the spirit of what you are trying to say but in reality it just doesn't work that way.

I really like Max, he's one of my favourite fighters to watch right now. His boxing may be the best and he has a "just scrap" mentality. It's great.

But he's 26. Let's wait till he puts 3-4 title defenses up, and watches Conor walk in and double what he made over those years in a night and see how he feels.

Max may claim not to care about money now, at least publicly, but when the years start counting down he's going to do what every man does, and consider his family's well being.

im fine with that but in your opinion do you ever see max holding up an entire division?

I am all for fighters retiring from fighting instead of fighting retiring them. Either fight or gtfo right?

"Hey Max, we'll give you a hundred million to hold up the division and go fight Floyd Mayweather"

"Nah, bro. I'm a true champ."

I actually like Max but unless you see a fighter turn down large sums of money to fight the "true contenders" or whatever that's all just hearsay/opinion/belief.

Don't think any of these old school mma fighters didn't wish they were getting paid the big bucks either. You think someone like Mark Coleman would turn down fighting one person to fight another if the difference was a couple hundred thousand dollars? sorry doesn't fly.

I get the spirit of what you are trying to say but in reality it just doesn't work that way.

If you followed ufc from the beginning, it was never about the money, it was about being the baddest man on the planet and the money was a bonus. As the ufc started making money and started paying the best fighters really good money, everything started to change.

he's a champ indeed. wife was hawt in the cage last fight too.
4d6781f95e2cd.jpg

Back