Mauricio Shogun Rua Vs Quinton Jackson

Agree ,but he joined Bisping there in England,he wanted away from US>< just train

Yeah, he was well conditioned for a few fights with them but he also began his decline there (although a huge part of that is likely injuries he incurred which greatly hampered his cardio and conditioning).

There are times where lesser fighters beat better fighters via style match-ups, and there are times when Better fighters beat lesser fighters dominantly due to style match-ups. This was 2 HOF first ballot LHW's(Both above Chuck and Wandy in the all time rankings), and the ass whooping was so severe it cemented Shogun's career as a notch above his peers. He blew an equal fighter out of the water.

Knee-Existent Shogun

it was 2 years after he beat Chuck and 2 years before he beat Chuck again. Rampage was on a skid at the time (some felt he should have lost to Murilo in the prior fight). It was after this that he started to piece it together again.

Can't agree with this. While I won't deny that he may have had some transitional issues related to wherever he was training or any other number of factors may have played a part, your statement just completely dismisses Shogun and Wanderlei as though they "got lucky," which is totally facetious. Fact is, they both obliterated him. All three of those guys are top ten 205ers, historically, so I don't say that to disparage Rampage. Just how it went down.

Yeah, he was well conditioned for a few fights with them but he also began his decline there (although a huge part of that is likely injuries he incurred which greatly hampered his cardio and conditioning).
So we Agree Then:)

Can't agree with this. While I won't deny that he may have had some transitional issues related to wherever he was training or any other number of factors may have played a part, your statement just completely dismisses Shogun and Wanderlei as though they "got lucky," which is totally facetious. Fact is, they both obliterated him. All three of those guys are top ten 205ers, historically, so I don't say that to disparage Rampage. Just how it went down.

pretty sure you misinterpreted my post. I've never once downplayed how good Wanderlei or Shogun were (you can infact check my post history, I've always put those two amongst the greatest ever, not just at LHW, but in the sport). But to say Quinton was at his best in that fight is not a true statement at all. He looked like shit vs Murilo in his previous fight.

Also, Wanderlei didn't "obliterate" Rampage either time. Shogun did for sure, but Wanderlei went to war with Rampage and came out the winner.

pretty sure you misinterpreted my post. I've never once downplayed how good Wanderlei or Shogun were (you can infact check my post history, I've always put those two amongst the greatest ever, not just at LHW, but in the sport). But to say Quinton was at his best in that fight is not a true statement at all. He looked like shit vs Murilo in his previous fight.

Also, Wanderlei didn't "obliterate" Rampage either time. Shogun did for sure, but Wanderlei went to war with Rampage and came out the winner.

That's true. Wanderlei and Rampage were competitive both times in Pride up until the end, and like I said, I don't know much about Rampage's circumstances during that time which may have affected his performances, but either way I don't believe he looked off in the 2003 grand Prix. He definitely handled Chuck.

That's true. Wanderlei and Rampage were competitive both times in Pride up until the end, and like I said, I don't know much about Rampage's circumstances during that time which may have affected his performances, but either way I don't believe he looked off in the 2003 grand Prix. He definitely handled Chuck.

yeah he looked great during the GP, after that he faced Arona and won, faced Wanderlei again and got KO'd. I remember vaguely him saying that being KO'd didn't sit well with him. That it caused him to go in a slump, I mean look at his hairdo in the fight vs Ninja. He looked off, he looked like he hadn't been training as much. I mean, that was the first fight I can remember Rampage not just actively looking to get the guy out of the ring. Then he got smoked by Shogun. He fought Yokoi and the OG Dong, Yoon, after that. Got the job done, finished Yokoi but looked ok vs Yoon.

I'm not 100% that he was like in some sort of depression, but he most certainly was not the Rampage from 03. Nor the Rampage from 07. He went into a little slump where he was basically #2 LHW in the world trying to be #1 to some middle of the pack guy behind Shogun and Arona and even Chuck at this point. It wasn't until he beat Chuck that I think he was at the top and that had a little to do with the decline of the others at this point (Wand been KO'd 2x since, Shogun broke his arm + loses to Forest, Arona left MMA to surf and bang chicks).

I think he was at his best around 03-04, but, think he was the best LHW in the world, even if just for a few months/year when he beat Hendo to unify the belts. Not sure if that makes any sense.

yeah he looked great during the GP, after that he faced Arona and won, faced Wanderlei again and got KO'd. I remember vaguely him saying that being KO'd didn't sit well with him. That it caused him to go in a slump, I mean look at his hairdo in the fight vs Ninja. He looked off, he looked like he hadn't been training as much. I mean, that was the first fight I can remember Rampage not just actively looking to get the guy out of the ring. Then he got smoked by Shogun. He fought Yokoi and the OG Dong, Yoon, after that. Got the job done, finished Yokoi but looked ok vs Yoon.

I'm not 100% that he was like in some sort of depression, but he most certainly was not the Rampage from 03. Nor the Rampage from 07. He went into a little slump where he was basically #2 LHW in the world trying to be #1 to some middle of the pack guy behind Shogun and Arona and even Chuck at this point. It wasn't until he beat Chuck that I think he was at the top and that had a little to do with the decline of the others at this point (Wand been KO'd 2x since, Shogun broke his arm + loses to Forest, Arona left MMA to surf and bang chicks).

I think he was at his best around 03-04, but, think he was the best LHW in the world, even if just for a few months/year when he beat Hendo to unify the belts. Not sure if that makes any sense.

All makes sense to me, and I agree that he was definitely numero uno after his bout with Hendo. He was definitely a bit faster and more athletic earlier, but his hands by the time he'd come to the UFC were much sharper and I think, overall, that was the best version of him. He didn't quite have the mobility of the young Rampage, but his experience and boxing made him a more complete package, I feel.

Of course, he then went immediately on to lose to Forest, a guy who's never looked "elite" (as in top of the world), so I don't know what that says. MMA is a crazy sport and prime Forest had the Rocky magic. (Not to derail the thread topic)

Good fight .but rampage fought that fight with a injury. Regards.
Hmm Rampage also stated that with sakuraba fight fight he was injured

Got damn! Poor hampage took a beating there.

<{you!}>

SO EXPLAINE?

Good fight .but rampage fought that fight with a injury. Regards.
thought he got injured right at the beginning when Shogun kneed him? either way, Rampage would have put on a better fight if that didn't happen. and that's from a huge Shogun fan.

Rampage after loosing too sakuraba said with bas ruten ,he was best trained after that fight....

thought he got injured right at the beginning when Shogun kneed him? either way, Rampage would have put on a better fight if that didn't happen. and that's from a huge Shogun fan.
Yes maybe,U know rampage was inured? No u don't.. dont speculate,Sakuraba could also been injured

Back