Matt Serra was outstriking GSP before he hurt him and made GSP tap to strikes. Fight was not a fluke

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is silly to call the fight a "fluke" or to marginalize Serra's win in any way.

why not just celebrate the underdog's win and leave it at that? especially given that GSP tooled him in the rematch and virtually no one needed a trilogy fight to know who was the vastly superior fighter.

Serra did the unthinkable. He deserves nothing but respect for his accomplishment.

Sure, he got raped in ass in the rematch...but that doesn't discredit the win.

Making this statement is dumb. Nothing of note happened before he hurt him. If by winning you mean possibly was up on strikes landed then maybe you could be correct but saying it wasn't a fluke based on the striking before GSP got caught doesn't make sense.

It's not a fluke because Serra has decent KO power despite being small.

And he was winning the exchanges before hurting GSP.

And Serra lost every rematch he had. He first beat Shonie Carter (TUF), Chris Lytle and GSP...the proceeded to lose to each of them later. That's not exactly the mark of a champion.

Incorrect. Serra lost to Shonie Carter BEFORE TUF and avenged his loss to him during the show. Just an exhibition match though, and while we're on the subject of flukes, that spinning backfist was definitely a fluke lol.

It's a relevant fight, and now that GSP is returning, a good point to analyse GSP's chances against Bisping.

After that loss, GSP changed his style a lot, and became an extremely conservative fighter, and didn't finish any fight from 2009 to his retirement in 2013.

Also, that fight showed something that does not change: heart. GSP tapped to strikes, looked for a way out. Bisping will put a lot of pressure, and there's little reason to believe that GSP will endure.

serra-ko-s-gsp-o.gif
He showed quite a bit of heart against Condit.

Carlos_Condit_Head_Kicks_Georges_St._Pierre_UFC_154.gif

Attachments

• upload_2017-9-22_17-14-10.jpeg
    upload_2017-9-22_17-14-10.jpeg
    8.5 KB · Views: 2
good points.

imo..IF Bisping can keep it standing he will ktfo of gsp. But that will be very difficult. Imo IF gsp gets him down HE IS NOT GETING BACK UP .. IF it goes the distance ,gsp wins and bisping will be beat the fuk up ugly ala finch,kos, and thiago...
Except I'm pretty sure Serra hits harder than Bisping. But gsp losing a striking battle is definitely possible

It wasn't a fluke because neither man slipped on sweat, got poked, or got into some freak accident.

It was a fight dammit and GSP lost to a smaller man lol.

Some will argue "well if they fought 10 times GSP wins 9.6" on average" to equate "fluke" with "outlier"

Well, we don't KNOW that. On paper GSP should thrash Serra every single time.

WE only had two fights. Leave it be.
Well the definition of fluke states " an unlikely chance occurrence", which you just demonstrated pretty well

Matt Serra vs GSP 1 was not a fluke.

Matt Serra was outstriking GSP before GSP got rocked by Serra's right. Serra was landing good punches (to the head and body) and leg kicks before hurting GSP with the right. Serra landed more significant strikes than GSP before he rocked GSP. Rewatch the fight and tell me I'm wrong.

http://m.espn.com/extra/mma/fightstatistics?fightId=151836

Serra landed a total of 20 significant strikes

GSP landed a total of 6 significant strikes.

Some people, especially GSP fans, say that the first fight was a fluke but the stats and strikes landed say otherwise.

Thoughts?

Who cares?
Maybe he took him lightly, maybe an off night or maybe Matt was simply the better man that day. He lost that and won the rematch.
Did you make a thread to merely say HSP was outperformed that night? We know already cause he didn't loose by decision

oh wow, cool, none of that landed clean.
That's why he stayed conscious. The headkick was clean and on the temple. I'm a bigger Condit fan than I am of Georges, but come on now. Don't be a prick for the sake of getting a rise out of people.

Edit:
He got dropped cleanly, recovered, and beat Condit's ass. That's heart. He didn't just stay turtled up and say "oh well, I can't do it. I lose"

That's why he stayed conscious. The headkick was clean and on the temple. I'm a bigger Condit fan than I am of Georges, but come on now. Don't be a prick for the sake of getting a rise out of people.

I'm not being a prick. The head kick did not land flush and clean: it pushed GSP out of balance more than stir his brains.

Matt Serra vs GSP 1 was not a fluke.

Matt Serra was outstriking GSP before GSP got rocked by Serra's right. Serra was landing good punches (to the head and body) and leg kicks before hurting GSP with the right. Serra landed more significant strikes than GSP before he rocked GSP. Rewatch the fight and tell me I'm wrong.

http://m.espn.com/extra/mma/fightstatistics?fightId=151836

Serra landed a total of 20 significant strikes

GSP landed a total of 6 significant strikes.

Some people, especially GSP fans, say that the first fight was a fluke but the stats and strikes landed say otherwise.

Thoughts?

Damn straight.
Serra fought with no fear of the TD and that's why he landed.

It's not a fluke because Serra has decent KO power despite being small.

And he was winning the exchanges before hurting GSP.
How can you say he has decent KO power when that was his first KO? He only has two in his whole career. Even if he was winning exchanges it wasn't by much. Don't make it sound like he was lighting him up. When he caught him it was the first significant shot of the fight.

GSP's two greatest talents:

1. WW GOAT while being an athlete rather than a fighter

2. WW GOAT while not having any heart or toughness

Sherdog has gotta Sherdog

It was a fluke only in the sense that he'd probably never do it again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back