Matt Serra was outstriking GSP before he hurt him and made GSP tap to strikes. Fight was not a fluke

Status
Not open for further replies.
Matt Serra vs GSP 1 was not a fluke.

Matt Serra was outstriking GSP before GSP got rocked by Serra's right. Serra was landing good punches (to the head and body) and leg kicks before hurting GSP with the right. Serra landed more significant strikes than GSP before he rocked GSP. Rewatch the fight and tell me I'm wrong.

http://m.espn.com/extra/mma/fightstatistics?fightId=151836

Serra landed a total of 20 significant strikes

GSP landed a total of 6 significant strikes.

Some people, especially GSP fans, say that the first fight was a fluke but the stats and strikes landed say otherwise.

Thoughts?
My thoughts
hqdefault.jpg
"We need more strict drug testing, USADA/WADA testing" (testing gets implemented) "I need to take time off to collect myslef I am not happy fighting is not fun anymore, I want to find Aliens"

Some more leveling of the GOAT playing field, eh? If ya boy can't stand tall without you making up shit...he'd prolly just as soon you put a sock in it.

I just rewatched for the lulz. GSP was letting Serra in the pocket way too much. I'm not surprised he got caught.

If it wasnt a fluke, how come he couldn't do it again and got dominated in the rematch? Plus it was the back of gsp head
Second fight was a fluke, if it wasn't how come he didn't dominate the first fight

Serra also set up the punch by throwing several straight rights to the body. Once gsp started to lower his guard and anticipate the right to the body serra went high.

Gsp is undoubtedly the better overall fighter but the punch that rocked gsp was by design. He didn't land a desperate haymaker in a wild exchange or something

It's a relevant fight, and now that GSP is returning, a good point to analyse GSP's chances against Bisping.

After that loss, GSP changed his style a lot, and became an extremely conservative fighter, and didn't finish any fight from 2009 to his retirement in 2013.

Also, that fight showed something that does not change: heart. GSP tapped to strikes, looked for a way out. Bisping will put a lot of pressure, and there's little reason to believe that GSP will endure.

serra-ko-s-gsp-o.gif

It's not a relevant fight. Is Anderson Silva's fight against Ryo Chonan relevant?

He finished BJ Penn in 2009.

There aren't a lot of finishes in recent welterweight fights that don't include Robbie Lawyer. Since becoming champion, Tyron Woodley doesn't have a finish. Hendricks and Robbie both went 5 rounds twice, Woodley and Thompson went 5 rounds twice, Woodley went 5 rounds with Maia, Lawler went 5 rounds with Condit, and Condit and Diaz went 5 rounds for interim. The only finishes since 2013 in welterweight title fights were Lawler vs. McDonald and Woodley vs. Lawler.

Johnny Hendricks had 5 straight 5 round fights at welterweight including his number 1 contender fight with Condit, GSP fight, title win against Lawler, title loss against Lawler, and subsequent fight with Brown.

As for the idiotic comment that GSP doesn't have heart or "little reason to believe GSP will endure", likely you never saw GSP vs. Condit, particularly the head kick in the third round. Or round 3 against Hendricks where GSP was wobbled.

hendricks-stpierre-1.jpg

Saying a UFC champion doesn't have heart is laughable. For all GSP's flaws, and there are many, he has more heart than your entire family put together. Show me your record in MMA fights. Any service in combat? Seriously you are a keyboard warrior and not a good one at that. Stand for something before you criticize others for not having heart.

GSP deserves criticism for many things. His claim to this Bisping fight is dubious. I think he lost to Hendricks. I think he will have a lot of trouble with a bigger fighter at middleweight. But this type of unintelligent conversation is sadly reflective of what has become of Sherdog. Judging a fighter by his lowest point, which he avenged and won 12 straight, demonstrates not only bias but a general ignorance and lack of character.

Gsp completely changed his style after that fight. He used to be like a karate dude with good bjj. Now hes a LNPer with a jab

True, but I contend that it was the combination of 2 fights that changed his style. His style started to change in the first fight with BJ Penn. He came into that fight very much a striker. For the first round and a half, BJ busted his face with jabs. By the midpoint of round 2, GSP said f the bs and took his ass down. That was the beginning in my opinion. 2 fights later Serra jumps all over him and that was the last we saw of karate man GSP. lol

Matt Serra vs GSP 1 was not a fluke.

Matt Serra was outstriking GSP before GSP got rocked by Serra's right. Serra was landing good punches (to the head and body) and leg kicks before hurting GSP with the right. Serra landed more significant strikes than GSP before he rocked GSP. Rewatch the fight and tell me I'm wrong.

http://m.espn.com/extra/mma/fightstatistics?fightId=151836

Serra landed a total of 20 significant strikes

GSP landed a total of 6 significant strikes.

Some people, especially GSP fans, say that the first fight was a fluke but the stats and strikes landed say otherwise.

Thoughts?

Anderson fans are so fragile that GSP is about to do something Anderson can't do....beat Bisping and reclaim the belt. LMAO

You forget serra had the element of suprise

I've only seen it once before but George mentioned that he was having some family issues right before the Serra fight and hadn't slept in days.

Not one to make excuses he never brought it up again.

This most likely lead to the defeat not the fact that GSP was worse than Serra before their first fight.

GSP lost that fight because of his pride. He let Serra in the pocket because he knew there was no way Serra could outstrike him. After he got clocked he stayed in the pocket because he knew there was no way Serra could outstrike him.

My thoughts
View attachment 279479
"We need more strict drug testing, USADA/WADA testing" (testing gets implemented) "I need to take time off to collect myslef I am not happy fighting is not fun anymore, I want to find Aliens"
tbh he doesn't look that much different. just doing a lat spread and tanner

And Serra lost every rematch he had. He first beat Shonie Carter (TUF), Chris Lytle and GSP...the proceeded to lose to each of them later. That's not exactly the mark of a champion.

Not trying to pick on you, but I think you have the Shonie fights backwards. The spinning back fist KO happened pre-TUF, and Serra avenged that loss on the show.

I watched an interview with Matt Serra where he talked about "hanging out" with St. Pierre leading up to the fight. He said that he was initially intimated by Georges, but the more time he spent with him the more he came to realize that "he's just a regular guy".

Serra referenced a particular scene where they were out at a club, after a promo appearance, and GSP was being bombarded by fans and was visibly uncomfortable with it. He saw a mental weakness there and it emboldened him.

IMO this was the biggest mistake GSP made. Allowing Matt Serra to peek behind the curtain and see how the sausage is made.

It's not a relevant fight. Is Anderson Silva's fight against Ryo Chonan relevant?

He finished BJ Penn in 2009.

There aren't a lot of finishes in recent welterweight fights that don't include Robbie Lawyer. Since becoming champion, Tyron Woodley doesn't have a finish. Hendricks and Robbie both went 5 rounds twice, Woodley and Thompson went 5 rounds twice, Woodley went 5 rounds with Maia, Lawler went 5 rounds with Condit, and Condit and Diaz went 5 rounds for interim. The only finishes since 2013 in welterweight title fights were Lawler vs. McDonald and Woodley vs. Lawler.

Johnny Hendricks had 5 straight 5 round fights at welterweight including his number 1 contender fight with Condit, GSP fight, title win against Lawler, title loss against Lawler, and subsequent fight with Brown.

As for the idiotic comment that GSP doesn't have heart or "little reason to believe GSP will endure", likely you never saw GSP vs. Condit, particularly the head kick in the third round. Or round 3 against Hendricks where GSP was wobbled.

hendricks-stpierre-1.jpg

Saying a UFC champion doesn't have heart is laughable. For all GSP's flaws, and there are many, he has more heart than your entire family put together. Show me your record in MMA fights. Any service in combat? Seriously you are a keyboard warrior and not a good one at that. Stand for something before you criticize others for not having heart.

GSP deserves criticism for many things. His claim to this Bisping fight is dubious. I think he lost to Hendricks. I think he will have a lot of trouble with a bigger fighter at middleweight. But this type of unintelligent conversation is sadly reflective of what has become of Sherdog. Judging a fighter by his lowest point, which he avenged and won 12 straight, demonstrates not only bias but a general ignorance and lack of character.

Conor and GSP have demonstrated a lack of heart.

Going to the throat of people in such a deep personal level is sadly reflective of what has become of Sherdog.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back