Matt Riddle and the cost of training...

LamaIronFist

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Though I did not expect him to be the GOAT, I always liked Matt Riddle. He started a bit limited but he improved his boxing and kicks quite a bit in recent times. On top, he was a game fighter and he liked to pump up the crowds. He seemed to be a great and funny dude to be around, always excited.

As you know, he recently got injured and due to a lack of income he had to hang his gloves. Bellator's Worker's Compensation office was on strike or something like that... ;-)

Not sure what he will do for a living.

This leads me to some $ questions:

What's a typical hourly rate an average boxing, BJJ trainer can charge to a guy like Riddle?

Roughly, what do you think are the average monthly training costs for guys of Matt Brown, Riddle type of level?

If you happened to have trained yourself or you had a buddy who trained pretty seriously, see if you can throw in a rough breakdown of what the general costs were:

I know that guys like GSP who brings in all kind of dudes from Thailand with their cohort or dudes like Roger Gracie must pay some serious extra... but I am pretty sure it is not that cheap for guys with a 'bit' less money than GSP, guys like Mike Pierce, etc.

Any way, all the best to Matt.

Didn't he make 167k last year?

How on earth he couldn't pay bills and training?

When you're a top tier fighter it's usually not so much per/hour, it comes out of your winnings / sponsors and so forth. Im sure some are different though.

There is no set amount. It is all individual and based on the relationship you have. Some fighters will negotiate better for themselves and others will give more to their trainers because they feel they truly deserve it for helping them become as good as they did or else because they did not negotiate well. When you want a set amount you won't find it. But there are many fighters who speak about what they pay out and it seems their total training expenses can range anywhere from 10 to over 50%.

Didn't he make 167k last year?

How on earth he couldn't pay bills and training?

That was last year though, after taxes, rent/mortgage, food, gas, electricity, car payments, gym fees, trainer fees, medical bills/health insurance, etc and now the fact that he's hurt and wasnt going to get to fight until next year it makes perfect sense to me how he couldn't afford to sit out that long. It's expensive to be a fighter who trains at the highest level, you don't have to be an accountant to figure that out.

Aside from varying fighter by fighter, it would probably change fight by fight also depending on how many people they bring in or if they travel a lot as some fighters don't stick to one camp.

In terms of figures, Mendes said some of his partially completed camps cost around $6-10k
http://www.mmajunkie.com/news/2013/...-says-canceled-fights-cost-up-to-10k-per-camp
"Basically, I've been through three back-to-back-to-back camps now, which sucks," Mendes said. "I go through a camp, and I spend my own money. I'll go $6,000 or $7,000 or even $10,000 in, and then right before the fight it falls through. I don't get that money back, so that in itself is frustrating, let alone having to kill myself for nothing.

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2013/6/27/4470436/tim-kennedy-rips-ufc-fighter-pay
Kennedy revealed that he was due around $55,000 to show up at UFC 162, with the purse potentially increasing to $70,000 with a win bonus – but that after the expenses of his camp, medicals and fight team, he would only pocket around $20,000, even before taxes. After the interview, Kennedy sent a detailed breakdown of how his fight purse would be divided up: 13% on gym fees, 12% for nutrition, 10% to his manager, 10% to his coach, 8% on his camp lodging, 3% for fight medicals and 3% on equipment. In total, that’s 59% of his fight purse before tax is deducted.

From his breakdown, excluding the money paid to his manager and medicals, 46% of his pay is spent on training.

That was last year though, after taxes, rent/mortgage, food, gas, electricity, car payments, gym fees, trainer fees, medical bills/health insurance, etc and now the fact that he's hurt and wasnt going to get to fight until next year it makes perfect sense to me how he couldn't afford to sit out that long. It's expensive to be a fighter who trains at the highest level, you don't have to be an accountant to figure that out.
Thank, but still....

Is that Seth Baczynski in your av?

as others said, there are no "standard" fees per se. it depends on who you are and where you train and with whom.

at your level, i would say tim kennedy gave some infos on how much it cost him:

13% on gym fees, 12% for nutrition, 10% to his manager, 10% to his coach, 8% on his camp lodging, 3% for fight medicals and 3% on equipment. In total, that

Damn, this rapidly turned into a whining session about fighter pay.

Lets be honest here about the training, who really thinks Matt Riddle is dropping $50K for a training camp? He's nowhere near top of the market, hell, he was barely able to get off the prelims. I'd be willing to bet his training, all in, was probably somewhere in the 20-25% of his purse... mind you, purse, not all-in net pay.

I like the one who said: "he can't blow 167K on all on weed" ;-)
Well if your sparing partners are the Diaz brothers and your BJJ coach is Eddie Bravo... you need to allocate some serious money to keep the space train going during the training camp...

That being said, it's amazing how little is left for a guy of Kennedy's level. The message is the same than in the music biz: get yourself a solid accountant from the get go when money starts trickling in.

as others said, there are no "standard" fees per se. it depends on who you are and where you train and with whom.

so almost 60% BEFORE tax. you dont need to be an einstein to understand, you want world class training, you need world class money. the ufc doesnt pay that unless you wearing a belt.

just recently chris weidman made news. basically danaher was saying that chris was bankrupt, lending money to stay solvent just to prepare for anderson silva.
just to remind you, chris weidman was 9 - 0 at that time, 5 - 0 in the ufc. one would think at that level, being number 1 contender at 185 lbs will make you have some money for the future. obviously not the case.

fact of the matter is, and thats why so many FIGHT FANS are pissed off, ufc makes, according to rumors / estimated, over 500 million us dollar per year (some say over 600, but i think the ufc denied that one... not that ufc denying over 600 makes it not true, we just dont know), and only pays the champs good money (if at all).

pathetic, greedy ufc.

Seems to me like Weidman is just very bad at managing his money. Didn't he finance a 1,500 dollar dog while being homeless and bankrupt?

There's been interviews with other fighters that praise the UFC for changing their lives. It's all about how you manage your money.

so almost 60% BEFORE tax. you dont need to be an einstein to understand, you want world class training, you need world class money. the ufc doesnt pay that unless you wearing a belt.

just recently chris weidman made news. basically danaher was saying that chris was bankrupt, lending money to stay solvent just to prepare for anderson silva.
just to remind you, chris weidman was 9 - 0 at that time, 5 - 0 in the ufc. one would think at that level, being number 1 contender at 185 lbs will make you have some money for the future. obviously not the case.

fact of the matter is, and thats why so many FIGHT FANS are pissed off, ufc makes, according to rumors / estimated, over 500 million us dollar per year (some say over 600, but i think the ufc denied that one... not that ufc denying over 600 makes it not true, we just dont know), and only pays the champs good money (if at all).

pathetic, greedy ufc.

It's taboo to mention this. Here come the apologists with some "rationalization".

Seems to me like Weidman is just very bad at managing his money. Didn't he finance a 1,500 dollar dog while being homeless and bankrupt?

There's been interviews with other fighters that praise the UFC for changing their lives. It's all about how you manage your money.

This right here. Look at how many NFL and NBA athletes go broke when they're done playing.

Back