Matt Hume on MMA Evolution

Obitronix

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
This is for those who haven't seen this video. Matt Hume makes some interesting points about the evolution of MMA:
(Bonus) Matt Hume Explaining Pride FC Scoring system:

This is a video from a Pride backstage in 2001, with Hendo, Couture, Heath Sims and Matt Hume.
Chael says that Hume is a real genius and was way ahead of his time, the stuff he showed in this video are techniques that are used today.

I also remember a Couture interview when he said that at Team Quest everybody came from a wrestling background, so everything they did was hard, basically hard sparring everyday.
Then they started to travel to Matt Hume gym to get more a technical training and get the best of the two worlds, hard sparring and technical training.

He's got nothing on Coach Kav

This is for those who haven't seen this video. Matt Hume makes some interesting points about the evolution of MMA:

Very knowledgeable and articulate coach. Thanks for the posting the video.

If I were an MMA fighter looking for a coach to train with, Matt Hume would definitely be one of my top choices, without a doubt. The other would be Firas Zahabi.

PRIDE FC had good rules, no ristrictions, they actually thought about fighting and how to make it good. I didn't like the ban of elbows.

UFC rules still are just compromises.

PRIDE FC had good rules, no ristrictions, they actually thought about fighting and how to make it good. I didn't like the ban of elbows.

UFC rules still are just compromises.
Funny thing about the ban of elbows, i rewatched Hendo vs Arona recently, and Stephen Quadros, another guy that was way ahead of his time and a had really good vision into the future, was talking about the lack of elbows in Pride because deemed too dangerous.

Quadros continued saying that mma will be the sport of the future and to do that you need to take away the most dangerous techniques to make it more appealing to a wider audience.
Same thing that Joe Silva said, but funny how in the USA they had elbows and in Japan soccer kicks and stomps.

Evolution of MMA is hype. Evolution of skill can't match UFC's growth rate, so they have more good mid-tier fighters and hype them to top-tier status to show evolution, while there are just a handful of elites who push skill forward, like 15 years ago.

Thanks for that. Matt Hume is one of the few people I would actually listen to on a podcast on a regular basis.

Anyone know if he's ever done one?

Wizard is the perfect nickname for him

Not a coincidence that he's a coach of the best fighter in MMA today.

This is a fixed match if i ever seen one, they weren't offering resistance in those takedowns and most of the grappling transitions.

Have you watched the Sonnen-Ortiz fight? Now that one stinks of a fix a touch more in my book.

Back