Matt Hughes: Too many events makes UFC not special...

I like two cards per month. No UFC withdrawals and slightly stacked cards.

I'd like less ppvs, more fight nights. This year the UFC have tried to pass of some incredibly weak cards as ppvs, they should be primarily reserved for big name fights or multiple title fights.

Yes. I'm not entirely sure if Matt can even talk right now, despite being up and about.

It’s too bad. I was hoping this was post accident. Clicked on it, watched it, and then I heard him say “i might have a fight lined up in another organization” when joe buck asked him what was next for him.

Then I was like fuck

It's awesome that even tho there's MUCH more events these days, the top fighters fight about half as often as they did during the Pride era of MMA

Hughes last fought at UFC 211 against Koscheck?
giphy.gif

He's right but they have so many fighters on the roster, those guys have to fight.

the free fights give me something to do if I'm at the house so im not complaining

It's plenty for me. I don't mind watching fights every weekend. Fuck Math Hughes.

Yes. I'm not entirely sure if Matt can even talk right now, despite being up and about.

It’s too bad. I was hoping this was post accident. Clicked on it, watched it, and then I heard him say “i might have a fight lined up in another organization” when joe buck asked him what was next for him.

Then I was like fuck

A relatively new picture of him

He seems doing fine!

I agree. The product is watered down with all these events. Do you see who is the headliner for some Fight Nights... Plus injuries are really hurting the cards with fighters pulling out on every card. But I don't have a say. And WME wants the "Money".

Eh. I mean obviously you need those special cards that fans can look forward to for weeks, but having a high volume of events, both PPV and cable, is necessary if you want the sport to continue to grow and become more mainstream. The increasing number of athletes leads to a bigger roster, which leads to more events. And as a fight fan, I'm not complaining. Do people complain that there are too many football games? Basketball games? There were a lot less fighters on the roster during Matt's day.
I notice you didn't mention baseball lol. But seriously you got some good points there

Chael Sonnen and Karo Parisyan have expressed similar sentiment. Chael said that less UFC event means more anticipation which leads in to the water cooler talk and build up in interest. Karo has said that, too many UFC event makes UFC events too generic.

Now Matt Hughes is saying the same thing:

http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/Ma...ra-with-Fights-on-Darn-Near-Every-Week-129371

Nonsense. MMA is an individual sport and we tune in to watch individuals fight.

I don't care that the UFC is putting on two cards two weeks in a row because I get to see Werdum fight and Bisping be a stud fighting Gastellum less than a month removed from his last fight.

Hughes's problem is that in his day, MMA WAS a spectacle, like the circus or monster truck rallies, meant to be viewed once every few months.

Now its a legit sport

I won't be happy until there's 2 cards of watered down mma on tv per day.

Very few cards are actually "watered down". You may not know some of the names but then again no one knew who Conor McGregor, Mike Perry, and Francis Ngannou were a few years ago either.

I just don't have the means to view. I have saturdays off, but sometimes events are on wednesday, friday, or sunday for some stupid reason.

I have Fight Pass, but thats usually just a few international cards a year. I see 2-3 fights on FP a card, but of there's any injuries they lift from the FP card and promote their position.

I don't have cable, I literally watch the FS1 cards at my work because they do have Comcast. Not the Spike cards for Bellator though, Spike is a "special" cable package. Same goes with FS2, for some reason they get the cards sometimes.

I have Fox which gets a couple good cards a year, but sometimes they do the prelims on FS1 for some stupid reason. God knows where UFC will go when their contract with Fox expires...

What separates me from you guys is I don't actually have a computer. Even if I did I don't know where these crystal clear streams are y'all talk about. (*psst*PM ME!) So I buy their PPVs like a shill every now and then. I am part of UFCs success! But hey I still don't have FS1 for the prelims and they don't show bonus fights anymore through the ppv broadcast.

So maybe the PPV model is dead, maybe they need to streamline everything bettet, and maybe less events would prevent dillution. You got a lot of fucking fighters on the roster though....

I agree

But the casuals at wme need the $
And
They think the ufc isn't dying

Oh they know its dying. They know theyre in trouble. But Dana just likes to use that power of positive thinking shit and pretend theyre having the greatest year ever even when its actually one of the worst.

He's right. They let any shitty guy into UFC so they can do so many shows.

Back