Matt Hughes involved in car accident with a train, airlifted to hospital

Damn, he was talking about coming back. Hope he makes it and heal up.

Dude probably tried to kill himself, how do you accidentally get hit by a train, if the train is not off-track?

The ESPN article I saw said he was "helping a friend" at the time. I was like WTF? Helping a friend race a train?

That's not to make fun of Hughes or the situation but the shitty reporting.

Hope he is well, probably thought the lights didn't mean anything because I don't know how else you end up getting hit by a train
A lot of people don't want to wait so they try to race across once they see a train coming.

sad news....hopefully he will be ok. Honestly everywhere one turns you get bad news from every angle nowadays. so much shit happening

If he got hit full by the train I am really surprised he even survived.
Were I live we never had an accident like that with anyone surviving.

The force of a moving train on a car really looks like a war zone after
a crash.

Hope he recovers.

But, how does a farm boy get hit by a train ? He'd have been dealing with them all his life, I imagine. Maybe, a stroke or something ? Impairment of any kind, is possible, I guess.
someone in the other thread was saying it's pretty common in rural areas - that a lot of crossings don't have lights and people get used to just ignoring them.

19225616_10155358123093232_5179737198320517195_n.jpg

someone in the other thread was saying it's pretty common in rural areas - that a lot of crossings don't have lights and people get used to just ignoring them.

illinois is pretty flat though, i feel like you would see it coming, unless he was racing to get through

Dude probably tried to kill himself, how do you accidentally get hit by a train, if the train is not off-track?
Whoa, easy there turbo. And you re not alone...?!?! Ruthless.

My thoughts are with him, hope he s okay

I hope he's ok. My favorite 170 ever.
Im guessing it was debris. If he was hit by a train, he would not be in one piece.

illinois is pretty flat though, i feel like you would see it coming, unless he was racing to get through
what makes it even weirder is the report was saying he was 'helping a friend' - which implies that they were stationary. maybe car got stuck on the tracks and the radio was up?

I'll always remember him carrying Trigg across the octagon and slamming him after getting hit with the low blow.

Hope he's ok, but head trauma, train and airlifted sounds terrible.

I'm from Illinois....there is a crossing in a nearby town that has probably claimed 6 lives in the last 10 yrs. Its a rural crossing just outside town.

https://www.mmafighting.com/2017/6/...-legend-matt-hughes-injured-in-truck-accident

Poor guy. I wasn't exactly on pins and needles hoping for his UFC return, but it definitely isn't happening now.

If the link doesn't work for anyone, here's what the article says:

UFC legend Matt Hughes was injured in a truck accident Friday, UFC president Dana White told ESPN.com.

White said Hughes was airlifted to a hospital after a truck he was in collided with a moving train in Illinois. White said he has spoken to Hughes’ family and they are heading to the medical facility where Hughes was taken.

"Apparently he has head trauma," White said. "His family is traveling to him now."

TMZ reported that law enforcement sources said one person was taken from the crash with serious injuries, and White confirmed Hughes was that person.

The UFC tweeted a graphic, signifying Hughes is in its thoughts Friday.

I read about this on twitter a while ago, but wow Dana confirmed it, someone said Hughes crashed head on with a moving train, another report says he was helping someone who was stuck there, we have to wait for the real details first, but the a lot of times whenever someone gets hit by a train its usually Suicide attempt.

This is sad news, I hope he recovers from this.

Back