Matt Hughes Considering Comeback Fight, Talking with Bellator

CC27

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
http://www.mmafighting.com/2017/3/15/14939790/matt-hughes-considering-comeback-fight

In the clip, Hughes hints that he’s talking about fighting a previous guest on Buck’s show. While he doesn’t mention who he’s referring to, sources say it’s Royce Gracie, who Hughes beat at UFC 60 in May 2006.

Hughes, the former UFC welterweight champion, retired in 2013 following two knockout losses in a row and promptly accepted a position within the UFC as vice president of athlete development and government relations. He was fired from the organization in December as part of company-wide layoffs following the sale to WME|IMG.

"The UFC has been great to me," Hughes told MMA Fighting after he was relieved of his duties in December. "Times change, and I understand the decision that was made. I will move on. My family and I are fine.

"I do love adventure, and who knows what's next for me."

Hughes didn’t respond when contacted by MMA Fighting on Wednesday.

According to multiple sources, the 43-year-old has had talks with Bellator recently about fighting again but no offer has been made and those talks were classified as preliminary.

Really hope the UFC doesnt bring him back. No interest in seeing him return.

I could see either org making Hughes vs CM Punk, if UFC signed Hughes or if UFC released Punk and Bellator signed them both.

That just seems like a fight that would be made.

My guess is Bellator signs him and does Royce rematch.

Really hope the UFC doesnt bring him back. No interest in seeing him return.

I could see either org making Hughes vs CM Punk, if UFC signed Hughes or if UFC released Punk and Bellator signed them both.

That just seems like a fight that would be made.

My guess is Bellator signs him and does Royce rematch.
Hughes vs saku

326.gif

Bellator could also try and do Hughes/Danis, look to blow Danis up right out of the gate with a legendary name.

I like it if the fight is right. Not to headline but maybe go 2nd on a main card.

The last fight Hughes showed how useless Gracie is, I don't see how a rematch would be any different

I like it if the fight is right. Not to headline but maybe go 2nd on a main card.

You may want that, but does that make sense for Bellator if the whole point of bringing Hughes back is to feature him and tie up any sort of promotion for the event around him?

Hughes seems like the type of guy Bellator is interested in... big name who wants to extend his career a bit longer... make Hughes VS Royce and Hughes VS Lytle

Yes the greatest ww ever

Hope so love Hughes

Yes he was the greatest of ground and hump. Hughes won't even be able to go against the top 5 in Bellator. They are going to have to find a scrub for him to win.

He's only 43.

Or as Bellator calls it, a young up and comer.

Would love to see him vs mvp and get danced on it would be as compelling as compelling gets to see mvps take down defense in a fight like that,

Lima leg kicks him to death

Koreshkov likely knocks him out

You wont see Hughes vs Lima or Koreskov etc... you will see Hughes vs Royce or Sonnen or Koscheck.

Yes he was the greatest of ground and hump..

78% finishing rate. Hughes was a beast back those days.

complain about his personality all you want but Hughes was a verry exciting competitior and was seldom in a boring fight

78% finishing rate. Hughes was a beast back those days.

complain about his personality all you want but Hughes was a verry exciting competitior and was seldom in a boring fight

The only thing exciting about Hughes at that time were his slams. He was able to lay on his opponents as much as he wanted just look at the 3rd round of the Serra fight all he did was lay on top of Serra. With today's rules he can't get away with the lay and pray tactics he gets KO'd by 100% of the top 10 in UFC and top 5 in Bellator.

Hughes vs Royce is a complete waste of time and money for Bellator.

At least match Hughes up with some aging star that can be competitive on some level. Unfortunately nothing really comes to mind so as usual with these one off fights maybe that money is much better spent attracting top 10 UFC fighters when contracts run up.

Bellator.. where old fighters go to die.

Bellator.. where old fighters go to die.

More like where old fighters go to get new life.

WOuldnt be shocked to see Vitor fighting in Bellator next year. I wonder if Hendo retired under contract with UFC cause if he didnt he'd probably be fighting in Bellator soon as well.

Back