Smokes

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
How do two Negatives make a Positive?

Here is the problem

-23 - (-41)

the answer is 18.

How can that be answer. The rule doesnt make any sense.

Double negatives make a positive.

You're essentially adding 41 to - 23 (or subtracting 23 from 41).

You're gonna love partial differentials.

How do two Negatives make a Positive?

Here is the problem

-23 - (-41)

the answer is 18.

How can that be answer. The rule doesnt make any sense.
Because the difference between the real numbers -23 and -41 on the number line is 18

tim-and-eric-mind-blown.gif

This is arithmetic. This isn't i or anything. So it still makes sense on a concrete level if you just perceive it from a certain point of view.

Treat it like a balance sheet. You have two charges. Both are costs in the red. One is 23 dollars. One is 41 dollars. This puts you $64 in the red. Except the double negative rule indicates that you have a reversal on the charge from the bank for the second figure. Suddenly you have injected $41 back into your account.

So the sum comes out to $18 in the green.

Only Mog-Ur counts this far.

This is arithmetic. This isn't i or anything. So it still makes sense on a concrete level if you just perceive it from a certain point of view.

Treat it like a balance sheet. You have two charges. Both are costs in the red. One is 23 dollars. One is 41 dollars. This puts you $64 in the red. Except the double negative rule indicates that you have a reversal on the charge from the bank for the second figure. Suddenly you have injected $41 back into your account.

{<huh}

how does the bank just inject money into my account cause I over spent. where did it come from

This guy can't do simple.math, you think he has 64 dollars?

Well could be a trust fund guy

Math Don't Make No Sense

Something tells me you aren't exactly kicking English grammar's ass, either ...

{<huh}

how does the bank just inject money into my account cause I over spent. where did it come from
They are the ones who charged your account. By reversing the charge you suddenly get the money credited back to your account.

I inferred from your OP that you are trolling, but there really are a surprising amount of kids who struggled with these concepts when I was in school.

TS must not be asian.

Conceptually, Madmick explains it well.

My algebra teacher taught us to just multiply the signs. Neg X neg = Pos, neg X pos or vice verse = neg. For example 10 - (-6) is like 10 + 6. 10 + (-3) is like 10 - 3. 10 - (+3) is like 10 - 3, etc.

Back