Master Wong still doesn't get it

Or in other words, the things would-be 'RBSD' posers often like harping on the most about... are things that cannot be adequately or safely trained or simulated anyways (convenient), so in the end you're going to spend your time of what can be regardless.

Last edited:
I'm not going to give you a detailed breakdown because you seem triggered like many on Sherdog.

Personal example of self defense: I trained and competed sport. H.S. wrestling, boxed under a USA Boxing sanctioned gym, also spent some time in a combat setting. I am in good shape and am often a subject for lab tests for the local university's ex phys dept.

I had a situation with one guy. Went unresolved. Next time I saw him, he had 5 or so guys with him. I was surrounded. Sport training meant nill in that self defense setting. More variables to consider.
There is no real point in planning for 5 on 1, you are going to lose no matter what you do. Luckily in all the self-defence situations I've been in I've been able to call on my sport developed combat skills just fine. They work and work well. If I was up against 5 on 1 there is little to nothing I'd be able to do either regardless of whether I'd trained for sport or RBSD.

Well unless you are this old guy, then 5 on 1 is nothing.

Last edited:
There is no real point in planning for 5 on 1, you are going to lose no matter what you do. Luckily in all the self-defence situations I've been in I've been able to call on my sport developed combat skills just fine. They work and work well. If I was up against 5 on 1 there is little to nothing I'd be able to do either regardless of whether I'd trained for sport or RBSD.

Anywhere I've ever been it's never been a one on one thing. I go to the bars, the events downtown, festivals, etc. People, cliques, gangs, show up with numbers at events. The only way you'll find a guy by himself is if he's on a date.

This dual stuff that people seem to be coming across I haven't seen it outside of high school or an actual fight gym. Perhaps I am the outlier in the discussion.

Whenever we go out, I'm always asked am I packing. Always. That question comes from competitive fighters as well. None of us go in expecting a dual, people don't want to fight you head up in self defense situations.

I've even had friends ask me, when I tell them what I'm doing in practice, does my training teach me how to dodge bullets? lol

You guys can carry on without me I guess lol. I just have different experiences with "self defense". Combat sports help readiness, yes.

Anywhere I've ever been it's never been a one on one thing. I go to the bars, the events downtown, festivals, etc. People, cliques, gangs, show up with numbers at events. The only way you'll find a guy by himself is if he's on a date.

This dual stuff that people seem to be coming across I haven't seen it outside of high school or an actual fight gym. Perhaps I am the outlier in the discussion.

Whenever we go out, I'm always asked am I packing. Always. That question comes from competitive fighters as well. None of us go in expecting a dual, people don't want to fight you head up in self defense situations.

I've even had friends ask me, when I tell them what I'm doing in practice, does my training teach me how to dodge bullets? lol

You guys can carry on without me I guess lol. I just have different experiences with "self defense". Combat sports help readiness, yes.

Maybe it's a different culture in the UK but I never carry a weapon but I always am aware that there could be knives involved. I've left several clubs on a night out because I thought there was a knife involved. I don't fancy getting stabbed so I just eject from the situation. But never do I expect to get shot at. But any actual fight I've been in I've always been able to deal with using my sports based fighting skills. They are just as applicable to the streets. Of course I don't pull guard or take someone to the ground when there are multiple opponents. But boxing has come in handy on numerous occasions.

Maybe it's a different culture in the UK but I never carry a weapon but I always am aware that there could be knives involved. I've left several clubs on a night out because I thought there was a knife involved. I don't fancy getting stabbed so I just eject from the situation. But never do I expect to get shot at. But any actual fight I've been in I've always been able to deal with using my sports based fighting skills. They are just as applicable to the streets. Of course I don't pull guard or take someone to the ground when there are multiple opponents. But boxing has come in handy on numerous occasions.

Yeah maybe it's different. Even the teenagers are carrying. We had a football game (American) let out over the summer, and the kids started fighting. Shots were fired by a juvenile. Three youths were shot, and one was killed I believe.

I would definitely use boxing or judo (grips, trips) to get out of a potential scuffle. However, I wouldn't prolong my time there. The longer I'm there I feel the less probability there is for me coming out okay. That is why I wouldn't attempt to go to the ground or armbar.

The biggest thing for me is situational awareness, avoidance, and calling stuff out when we see it.

My friend is a pro boxer, undefeated, national champ in America as an amateur, and he got jumped. If it were a fair fight, no question he would get the upper hand. However, the thought of fair fight around here is laughable. You'd be doing yourself a disservice. I'm sure the police would even laugh at you, and ask what are you doing around here with that mindset. That is not a knock to martial arts, it just is what it is. I've talked to a police chief, and he told me himself, these streets and MMA are two different things. Take that for what it's worth.

we did some knife training one day at my gym just for the hell of it. it was definitively clear that if your opponent has already drawn his knife then you will get stabbed maybe killed if you do anything but run away. you'd have a better chance against a gun.

we did some knife training one day at my gym just for the hell of it. it was definitively clear that if your opponent has already drawn his knife then you will get stabbed maybe killed if you do anything but run away. you'd have a better chance against a gun.
Yeah I sort of had that feeling. I've watched numerous knife defence videos on youtube and they always end up getting stabbed a bit.

Yeah I sort of had that feeling. I've watched numerous knife defence videos on youtube and they always end up getting stabbed a bit.

what i found was that you at least have a chance if you can 2-on-1 grab their wrist BEFORE they've drawn their knife. but otherwise, reaching at somebody holding a knife emphatically triggers their fight or flight impulse to STAB YOU MANY TIMES.

what i found was that you at least have a chance if you can 2-on-1 grab their wrist BEFORE they've drawn their knife. but otherwise, reaching at somebody holding a knife emphatically triggers their fight or flight impulse to STAB YOU MANY TIMES.
I would imagine diving on a kimura would be your friend

Also, relevant.

He isn't wrong about the prison part. lol

Terry Thompson just got 25 years.

What about him or his teaching do you not find to your liking?

A few mentions of Terry T. On this thread.

I read that he got sucker punched, the guy then tried to leave and Terry blocked his exit. At this point he lost the self defense claim.
Then he choked the guy while his wife helped. The guy turned purple and started tapping, onlookers begged him to let go, and he held the choke for an additional 3 min 30 seconds.

To avoid(further) self harm he could have let the guy leave. And he also could have let the choke go after he passed out. Holding on a choke for north of 3 minutes is a super long time. And he was surrounded by people in front of a Denny’s. He could have let the dude go but chose to kill him instead.

So it’s not like it was a freak accident, where applying the choke briefly accidentally killed the guy.

Also, relevant.

yeah, i definitely thought of that video. you can see the same unsettling thing i discovered: if you grab for somebody's knife then they really really won't want to let go. you need to be 100% sure that it's a do or die situation before trying to disarm somebody with a knife, because that's the situation you'll be initiating.

Last edited:
You can not adequately prepare for a "self defense" scenario as you would a sporting contest.

BJJ, boxing, mma, karate, wrestling etc you can conceptualize what your match will encompass. There is data to assist you.

Training for a sport has a much more narrow focus.

So every military group ever that has ever trained people for combat readiness, close quarters fighting, urban warfare, etc.......

They can't adequately prepare a person?

I mean, yeah if you're going with the argument that no Marine is ever prepared for combat, no fighter is ever prepared for a prizefight, and no man is ever prepared for fatherhood when their first child is born, then.............. I guess.

But the reality is we have a shitload of historical data about human combat and training people properly before pushing them into combat makes a MASSIVE difference in their effectiveness and longevity.

That vid was pure bullshit,dude asumes all you need is to tuck your chin, and he bases that on the dude he’s with trying to rnc him, who clearly doesn’t know shit about rncs...

Máster Wang in hilarious, but he doesn’t know shit about grappling...

Wasn't there just a reasonably high profile UFC fight in 2018 where a dude got choked through his chin?

A few mentions of Terry T. On this thread.

I read that he got sucker punched, the guy then tried to leave and Terry blocked his exit. At this point he lost the self defense claim.
Then he choked the guy while his wife helped. The guy turned purple and started tapping, onlookers begged him to let go, and he held the choke for an additional 3 min 30 seconds.

To avoid(further) self harm he could have let the guy leave. And he also could have let the choke go after he passed out. Holding on a choke for north of 3 minutes is a super long time. And he was surrounded by people in front of a Denny’s. He could have let the dude go but chose to kill him instead.

So it’s not like it was a freak accident, where applying the choke briefly accidentally killed the guy.

Yeah if you have someone unconscious whether from strikes or from a choke, and you keep going anyway........... that's attempted murder pretty quickly. It's not like he held it an extra 10 seconds due to not noticing the guy go out. At 3 min without oxygen brain damage can be very real. It's appropriate that in his case it would be treated as seriously as rib / head kicks/stomps on an unconscious person.

Last edited:
So every military group ever that has ever trained people for combat readiness, close quarters fighting, urban warfare, etc.......

They can't adequately prepare a person?

I mean, yeah if you're going with the argument that no Marine is ever prepared for combat, no fighter is ever prepared for a prizefight, and no man is ever prepared for fatherhood when their first child is born, then.............. I guess.

But the reality is we have a shitload of historical data about human combat and training people properly before pushing them into combat makes a MASSIVE difference in their effectiveness and longevity.

you can prepare for anything where there is a reasonable expectation of the rules of engagement. the problem with the ever-nebulous "street altercation" is that there are just too many uncertain variables to train for (am i being attacked or did i start the fight? are there drugs and alcohol involved? are there weapons? is my opponent tough/strong/trained, or just some nut? is it a mano-a-mano Worldstar fight in a parking lot, or a chaotic brawl in a bar? what is my opponent's intensity level versus my intensity level?).

Last edited:
I had already seen Master Wong's videos. This face for me is a joke.

Yeah I seen exerps of this guys videos before, his demeanor is so extra I thought it was rather a total joke, or at the least a character.

Like does order Starbucks with that tone?

You can not adequately prepare for a "self defense" scenario as you would a sporting contest.

BJJ, boxing, mma, karate, wrestling etc you can conceptualize what your match will encompass. There is data to assist you.

Self defense has sporadic data meaning it comes in so many different scenarios. There are not a set of rules, techniques, weight classes, number of participants, etc.

Also take into account self defense is different for different people with a greater range of possibilities.

Training for a sport has a much more narrow focus.
Do you believe in using Role Playing Scenarios when teaching and training for Self defense?

Personally I think martial arts are useful simply as a fighting tool if needed in any self defense situation. How you come out of that situation simply depends on how you handle that particular situation.

Master Wong is the chode of the year. He won't demonstrate anything on anyone that has any legitimate fighting IQ or skills. Gosh I hope there aren't people that actually believe his bullshit. He is nothing more than a TMA hack but instead of a gi he wears street clothes.

Time for a Gracie dojo storm.

In all seriousness if this Wong character put half the energy that he puts into his garbage videos to train BJJ or Sub Grappling he might be pretty decent.

Last edited:
Everytime, the wing chun guys they don't want to learn stand up grappling because it refutes a large percentage of wing chun cannon.

Lol this is hilarious. For years, I always thought that Master Wong was a comedy channel like the EnterTheDojoShow. This Master Wong dude actually thinks he gives practical advice. It's just pure bs that wont work in a fight or in real life

Back