Mass incarceration of African Americans affects the racial achievement gap — report

good bit of research @moneyfight

-To address this, there should definitely be a a multi-pronged approach, some ideas that come to mind:

1. Evaluation on the current sentencing trends for crimes of the same name(including defendant's race, age, and court location)... with this information, there should be comparisons on a national level, as well as on a state and local municipality level; I know various states have different laws, and some judges get voted into office at some smaller towns/jurisdictions.
-This should put some perspective, state by state, county by county, on how the incarceration trends are.

2. decriminalization of certain drug offenses;
-not complete legalization just yet, let's see how some of these new states with recreational marijuana legalization do.

3. local tax dollars should really fund after school activities with male role models(maybe even previously incarcerated males)
-The reason I stress male role models is that who is missing from a lot of young children's lives
-Also it seems the time right after school and before their parent likely gets home is when mischief bad behavior/negative influence can occur.

One factor as to poverty, which exacerbates the cycle of crime is that 4 out of 5 caucasians live outside of cities, whilst 70%+ of AAs and Latin Americans live in cities.
- you are dealing with a much higher cost of living in the inner city regions as opposed to suburban areas.
--Tough to relocate people, but may informing minorities of the cheaper cost of living and higher home affordability in the suburbs might lead some AAs into moving away from inner cities but still working in them (many cities have multiple systems of transportation via trains, car/van pools, etc.
---I'd personally prefer to live in the city but most people want a home and a yard, etc.

Last edited:
Actions have consequences

What, flooding poor black communities with crack in the 80's and introducing stringent criminal penalties along racial lines has consequences for minority communities even now?!

You must be deluded.

I don't see how anything you wrote there relates to anything in the post you're responding to, sorry.
Where do I shift blame to whom exactly?
You say to stop throwing non violent criminals in jail. That's awfully simple minded imo

And yes, blacks have borne the brunt of the war on drugs.

Why is that?
5I5s8.png

Should black communities be creating jobs for themselves so less African Americans feel the need to sell drugs?

Yes, but that is easier said then done. How do you create jobs when box stores and online retailers have such a competitive advantage through leverage and efficiency driven by their size, that it takes a billion dollars to create a cost efficient competitor?

I don't see how anything you wrote there relates to anything in the post you're responding to, sorry.
Where do I shift blame to whom exactly?
Aren't you blaming the high incarceration stats on locking up non violent criminals, the fact that drugs are illegal & the fact the black communities aren't being positively influence?

If so you're definitely shifting blame.

Because black people get 20+ years for crack while white people get rehab for OxyContin.

Crack heads in the hood are not getting 20+ years for using crack, stop with this nonsense.

Non-violent drug crimes are not the issue.

Aren't you blaming the high incarceration stats on locking up non violent criminals, the fact that drugs are illegal & the fact the black communities aren't being positively influence?

If so you're definitely shifting blame.
I don't advocate any of those measurements in order to help black people specifically.
I advocate those points
because I think it's immoral to impose punishments which are more violent than the criminal offense itself
because the government has no justification for telling people what to put into their bodies or what to sell or buy on a market, including drugs
because costs for this nonsense are completely out of control and paid by taxation

it would also help black people

Why did obama pardon a ton of weed offenders but not legalize/decrim it?

Didnt want to look bad in the history books or something?

Obama was president, not congress.

I don't advocate any of those measurements in order to help black people specifically.
I advocate those points
because I think it's immoral to impose punishments which are more violent than the criminal offense itself
because the government has no justification for telling people what to put into their bodies or what to sell or buy on a market, including drugs
because costs for this nonsense are completely out of control and paid by taxation

it would also help black people

Violent crime is the reason for mass incarceration of Africans in America not petty drug crime.

You know what occurred to me? No one cares. People like to talk the talk but people have to be willing to make some serious changes. People like to argue about it, people like everyone to know how much it really bothers them but what does anyone do?

Crack heads in the hood are not getting 20+ years for using crack, stop with this nonsense.

Non-violent drug crimes are not the issue.
Crackheads in the hood have absolutely gotten 20+ years for getting caught with crack. Of course, it's usually "only" 10 years. Which is still life-shattering.

You know what occurred to me? No one cares. People like to talk the talk but people have to be willing to make some serious changes. People like to argue about it, people like everyone to know how much it really bothers them but what does anyone do?

Don't groups under the BLM umbrella do loads of work relating to community outreach and education programs to stop kids turning to crime?

I mean obviously there aren't a lot if self proclaimed conservatives who will give a damn because it doesn't fit in with the agenda, but that's an honest answer to your question.

Perhaps not disproportionately targeting minority communities through law enforcement would help as well.

I agree .. like stop committing crimes ..

Genius.

Totally ignores any historical context of the war on drugs, over policing of minority communities by police with a monetary incentive to deprive citizens of their freedom and property, the effect of mass incarceration on current generations who didn't make bad decisions, all the way down to basic psychology and the reason people actually commit crimes.

Fuck all that. Just don't commit crime!

Crackheads in the hood have absolutely gotten 20+ years for getting caught with crack. Of course, it's usually "only" 10 years. Which is still life-shattering.

Personal use or dealing, there is a big difference.

Fair point;
-The onus is definitely on the individual, AA community.

But if city/state/federal funds are going to be spent on these programs, there may be ways to strategically implement spending that are more effective than what we are currently doing as a society.

I do believe the long-term strategy is on the individual, and their influence on their direct family.

I am curious to see if some more decriminalization helps a bit; spending time in jail/prison seems to proliferate recidivism in some cases, rather than rehabilitate.

But all in all, the onus is on members of the AA community and those individuals who are incarcerated.
<mma4>

Genius.

Totally ignores any historical context of the war on drugs, over policing of minority communities by police with a monetary incentive to deprive citizens of their freedom and property, the effect of mass incarceration on current generations who didn't make bad decisions, all the way down to basic psychology and the reason people actually commit crimes.

Fuck all that. Just don't commit crime!

maybe there's a reason for that 'overpolicing' .. stop making excuses for shit behavior .. never works .. go tell all the well to do blacks that they're victims of all of this you talk about .. you have a choice .. it's up to you what you're going to choose .. be a degenerate or do something with yourself .. everything else are bullshit excuses

maybe there's a reason for that 'overpolicing' .. stop making excuses for shit behavior .. never works .. go tell all the well to do blacks that they're victims of all of this you talk about .. you have a choice .. it's up to you what you're going to choose .. be a degenerate or do something with yourself .. everything else are bullshit excuses

I wonder what the reason for the 'overpolicing' could be? hmm....

Back