Mass incarceration of African Americans affects the racial achievement gap — report

There are outliers in every distribution. You don't seem to understand the concept of a pattern.

You can't put human beings into a "pattern". We're humans and we are the chaos factor.

Ok....
Slavery
Jim Crow
2/3rds of a person
Separate but equal
100 to 1 drug possession laws
Arrested for Marijuana possession and striped of your right to vote
Arrested for Marijuana possession and given 20+ years in prison
As more African-Americans gained civil rights the "War on Drugs" goes into overdrive
The C.I.A. selling drugs in the American Ghetto.

African-Americans are still dealing with the aftermath of these facts and will be for some time.

All aimed at the African-American community to incarcerate and destroy a section of the population. Don't believe me? Bing/Google it.
1. If you're arguing that the system currently in place is stacked up against people of color, then just saying "bla bla bla SLAVERY" isn't much proof either.

2. "Dealing with the aftermath" is not evidence that the system currently in place is stacked up against people of color either. Your argument should be going into great detail about how "dealing with the aftermath" actually is manifested today in the system.

You can't put human beings into a "pattern". We're humans and we are the chaos factor.

-> Countless studies find that children of one-parent households do more poorly.
-> "Shut up, this one outlier means that all the studies are wrong."
-> "Humans are not patterns, man. I'm a free butterfly."

<36>

Are you saying the traditional Male-Female two parent household and traditional family values have an important positive influence on a child's upbringing, a stable household and society in general?

I think having as many caring adults in a child's up bringing the better. One parent certainly isn't enough, especially if there are multiple children.

My parents were divorced. I was raised by a combination of my mother, her friends, my aunts and uncles, and my grandmother.

Turned out great.

What's more important than a mother/father is having people that actually give a shit about the child caring for it.

1. If you're arguing that the system currently in place is stacked up against people of color, then just saying "bla bla bla SLAVERY" isn't much proof either.

2. "Dealing with the aftermath" is not evidence that the system currently in place is stacked up against people of color either. Your argument should be going into great detail about how "dealing with the aftermath" actually is manifested today in the system.

So you're saying is that racism is dead and that the court system is 100% fair (in spite of the cases I posted) to the Black community?

Ok.

It's a difficult subject. On one hand, the crime rate has decreased drastically since the 1970's, near 1950's (segregation) levels. On the other hand, the amount of people incarcerated is at an all-time high. And a large percentage of them represent minorities.

If many of these people were suddenly granted clemency for minor crimes, it is likely that the crime rates would again drastically increase. Only a life of petty crime would be awaiting them.

I suppose the only solution is to gradually re-work America's prison justice to be more rehabiliating (for minor criminals) than punishing. But it's a long process.

i agree with this

we got really good at getting criminals off the streets, we just arent good at turning them into law abiding citizens

american prisons make criminals worse, not better. a lot of people go to jail because they fell on hard times and were desperate, then made a bad decisions. so we send them to criminal university where they are surrounded by criminals who pressure them and teach them how to do more crimes. then when they are released, nobody wants to give them jobs so they turn back to crime again

american prisons are a fucking joke, many of them areent even in cells, they just have a big warehouse where they all hang out and discuss committing crimes together

california-institution-for-men-state-prison-chino-ca.jpg

we send shitheads who get into fistfights into that, and then they start more fistfights and if you fight back, they add to your sentence. the easy way to avoid it is to join a prison gang, which leads to committing more crimes. they allow prisoners to run the prison

-> Countless studies find that children of one-parent households do more poorly.
-> "Shut up, this one outlier means that all the studies are wrong."
-> "Humans are not patterns, man. I'm a free butterfly."

<36>

Stable two parent households are a big factor in success across all cultural groups, so a focus on that seems logical. What leads to that? Well what leads away from that..

Leading to it I think role models, value systems (religion for example, but values in general), incentives. Not a simple thing, but it seems that is the biggest bang for the buck to focus on it.

So you're saying is that racism is dead and that the court system is 100% fair (in spite of the cases I posted) to the Black community?

Ok.
No, i'm saying that your evidence to support your claim that the system currently in place is stacked up against people of color is misguided and insufficient.

P.S. Given that you interpreted my objection to your claim as direct evidence of me believing that racism is dead and the court system is 100% fair, i'm wondering whether or not you even care about evidence before making accusations.

Last edited by a moderator:
Stable two parent households are a big factor in success across all cultural groups, so a focus on that seems logical. What leads to that? Well what leads away from that..

Role models, value systems (religion for example, but values in general), incentives. Not a simple thing, but it seems that is the biggest bang for the buck to focus on it.

i like ben shapiros 3 rules to avoid poverty

1-finish high school
2-dont have babies until youre married
3-get a job

96% of people who do that, live above the poverty line

my big 2 has always been
1-2 parent household
2-no hard drugs

i feel like if we just accomplish that, we will see an enormous improvement in inner cities

No, i'm saying that your evidence to support your claim that the system currently in place is stacked up against people of color is misguided and insufficient.

I admit, I may not be the best at displaying the "evidence", I freely admit that. But you can't deny that it does exist.

When I say that the out of wedlock concerns are overstated part of it is that old metics don't reflect modern realities. We measure unmarried births. But we don't measure cohabitation models. We don't track extended family models. So forth and so on. With teasing out all of those details, we're having a very incomplete discussion. Which means we're not in a place to make good conclusions.

He already knows it's not stacked up against people of color. That's why Africans are constantly moving to America and Europe and not the other way around. If African Americans really believed the system was stacked up against people of color they would move to Africa and live under an African system.

i like ben shapiros 3 rules to avoid poverty

1-finish high school
2-dont have babies until youre married
3-get a job

96% of people who do that, live above the poverty line

my big 2 has always been
1-2 parent household
2-no hard drugs

i feel like if we just accomplish that, we will see an enormous improvement in inner cities

It's the Tim Duncan approach. 'Fundamentals'

Sort of like health, in that focussing on the basics of 'diet and exercise' first is the way to go, because the downstream effects of that help in many other areas.

I admit, I may not be the best at displaying the "evidence", I freely admit that. But you can't deny that it does exist.
Deny that the system is currently stacked up against people of color? I don't even fully understand what that refers to. That's the whole reason of me questioning your claim.

Deny that the system is currently stacked up against people of color? I don't even fully understand what that refers to. That's the whole reason of me questioning your claim.

Ok.

Do you feel you are more of a rare exception or the norm?
I wouldn't say rare or norm. Somewhere in between. Personally the people I know of that had tough upgringings turned out just fine. But yes having a rough upbringing definitely increases the chances of someone being a criminal. Doesn't make it a valid excuse by any means.

We all have a fair chance at living a criminal free life. Some of us just lack a sense of right & wrong. Even people who grow up in a stable eviroment can turn out to be criminals.

Some of just have enough sense to live the right way. Some of us have to learn the hard way. Some of us never learn.

Should black communities be creating jobs for themselves so less African Americans feel the need to sell drugs?
Sure. And the Black Community should create those jobs by tapping into that deep reservation of generational wealth that it's had access to ever since the days of slavery and the beginnings of the industrial revolution... oh, wait...

Bootstraps, men! Better bootstraps!

Sure. And the Black Community should create those jobs by tapping into that deep reservation of generational wealth that it's had access to ever since the days of slavery and the beginnings of the industrial revolution... oh, wait...

Bootstraps, men! Better bootstraps!

Hmm....That explains the situation in Africa.

Back