masakatsu funaki

binny

I'll beat your ass if you jump on my couch.
@Brown
Reaction score
why doesn't he ever get talked about today? the guy beat every open weight king of pancrase accept Barnett (and himself of course) all by finish I think, some of them he beat twice. he was 1 of 2 guys to hold KOP twice, he did it first and beat the other ( kondo) twice. he had like 40 pro mma wins by 2000.most of his losses were against the top guys there were to fight on earth at the time. why is this guy never even talked about all time p4p on here? why isn't he one of the big 3 Japanese fighters over aoki?

Because the bulk of his fights were before the album "Willenium" came out, and people have short memories.

He was at his peak before MMA was widely covered, particularly in the US, but yes, he was a legendary fighter, one of the founders of "real" fighting and a true badass...

funaki.jpg

I do t get why Jason deluca isn't talked about. That dude is of the few to practice Kung fu

I loved watch Funaki fight, still go back and watch some old Pancrase from time to time and it always hits me in the nostalgia hard.

Legend indeed but Pancrase fights look suspicious

Funaki was about 50 years old in fighter years when he fought Rickson. He'd fought a ton of fights and a lot of injuries. Then he blew his knee out during the fight.

There's a reason Rickson never fought a young version of Sak, Frank or Ken Shamrock, Bas or others in the late 1990s.

Because the bulk of his fights were before the album "Willenium" came out, and people have short memories.
that comparison... wonderful.. that album......eh.

Funaki was about 50 years old in fighter years when he fought Rickson. He'd fought a ton of fights and a lot of injuries. Then he blew his knee out during the fight.

There's a reason Rickson never fought a young version of Sak, Frank or Ken Shamrock, Bas or others in the late 1990s.
yeah I hate any talk of Rickson being totally amazing. Royce and Renzo (especially Renzo imo) woulda whipped his ass.

anyone who made their name in pancrase has an * next to their record

especially funaki

During the match Funaki blew out his knee checking kicks from Rickson, it also holds the distinction of being the single most watched MMA match of all time. 30 million people just in Tokyo,Japan.

Except Royce and Renzo both said Rickson was the best. But thanks for your opinion...
I don't do who said what. I do both of them fought real fighters in their primes and Rickson fought funaki on the downslope and that's about it. if gsp said someone else was the best welterweight of all time that wouldn't really mean shit.

You're telling me you didn't like the jams "Afro angel" and "Uuhhh"? Blasphemy.
I was a bigger fan of Big Willie Style. Plus Men in Black is the greatest song of all time.

Back