Mary Shelley - the Frankenstein author finally gets the bio treatment

G

Guestx

Mary Shelley lived an interesting, but tragic, life. I'm kind of surprised it's taken this long to get a film about her.

I just read Frankenstein a couple of years ago so I'm very interested in this. It also seems like Elle Fanning's career is really starting to take off.

I'm excited for this. I've been meaning to watch the first feature from this director, Wadjda, for a while now.

I'm excited for this. I've been meaning to watch the first feature from this director, Wadjda, for a while now.

I guess if you had not responded this thread would've just floated by without a single reply. I figured there'd be a bit more interest.

My only concern for the movie is that they make all the men in her life villains, which wasn't true at all.

My only concern for the movie is that they make all the men in her life villains, which wasn't true at all.
My guess is Percy Shelley will be helpful and encouraging while Lord Byron will be condescending and antagonistic.

Echoing my sentiments from the MNN thread, and concerned about the political correctness and "righteous fiery feminism" distorting the accuracy of the biopic, and creating a story that didn't really happen. Or portraying characters as heroic / antagonistic that shouldn't be based on historical facts.

Then again, the same applies to "The Conjuring" films, and I love that series.

Echoing my sentiments from the MNN thread, and concerned about the political correctness and "righteous fiery feminism" distorting the accuracy of the biopic, and creating a story that didn't really happen. Or portraying characters as heroic / antagonistic that shouldn't be.

Then again, the same applies to "The Conjuring" films, and I love that series.

To repeat a frequent sentiment, it's important to remember that this is fictional take on real events, not a documentary. So if they take some creative license for dramatic purposes, I'm fine with that provided it does actually help the story.

But if the film does just end up being "Mary Shelley vs the men" then that will be a disappointment and will be about the cheapest direction they can go in. It also won't be very fair to Percy Shelley who, from what I understand, was always a loving and supportive husband.

To repeat a frequent sentiment, it's important to remember that this is fictional take on real events, not a documentary. So if they take some creative license for dramatic purposes, I'm fine with that provided it does actually help the story.

But if the film does just end up being "Mary Shelley vs the men" then that will be a disappointment and will be about the cheapest direction they can go in. It also won't be very fair to Percy Shelley who, from what I understand, was always a loving and supportive husband.
I didn't say it was a documentary, I said it was a biopic, which shouldn't be fictionalized, but dramatized as close to possible to historical facts (as opposed to an agenda).

I didn't say it was a documentary, I said it was a biopic, which shouldn't be fictionalized, but dramatized as close to possible to historical facts (as opposed to an agenda).

Is there a rule in some rulebook that you can point to that says this?

True events provide the basis for films all the time, but details are changed to make the story more interesting.

Ever watched Mary Shelley's Frankenstein?

Is there a rule in some rulebook that you can point to that says this?

True events provide the basis for films all the time, but details are changed to make the story more interesting.
Yeah, it's on page 76, section C of the "@shadow_priest_x Pretends to Know What He's Talking About, but Doesn't Know Anything" rulebook, where it says, "when you've lost an argument, ask the other person to quote a rule in a rulebook when they're clearly stating their opinion."

Yeah, it's on page 76, section C of the "@shadow_priest_x Pretends to Know What He's Talking About, but Doesn't Know Anything" rulebook, where it says, "when you've lost an argument, ask the other person to quote a rule in a rulebook when they're clearly stating their opinion."

Aww shit! RTL getting an attitude tonight!

The whole network of people around her was bananas.

Bet she would have had a fun time playing six degrees of separation.

Ever watched Mary Shelley's Frankenstein?
Yup. When it first came out. About a year after I first read the book. I think I would need to reread and rewatch in order to make any sort of intelligent comment. My fuzzy memory has it being pretty good, and accurate(ish).

She did enough crazy shit in her life that they don't need to make up anything. They will, but it's unnecessary.

Pretty sure women didn't even have voting rights when Mary lived, so if they in some way portray that she was impacted or held back by society (men) at the time would hardly be unhistoric or unreasonable - to gloss it over would be.

Having said that, i'd also hope they focus on her creativity and courage.
Haven't seen the movie yet.

Back