Marvin Hagler vs Bernard Hopkins at 160

XThe GreatestX

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Who do you got?

Call me crazy........but Hopkins I think wins this.......

He's not gonna brawl with Hagler...and he probably would foul the shit out of him. I predict I am in the minority here. But Hopkins wins this. Too crafty.

Points win for Hopkins imo

I see Hopkins being crafty early on, getting sucked into the brawl slowly but surely and eventually being stopped late.

I see Hopkins being crafty early on, getting sucked into the brawl slowly but surely and eventually being stopped late.
hopkins sucked into a brawl sounds sorta surreal doesn't it? I suppose he somewhat did in the 2nd pascal fight but I am not sure that wasn't by choice

Hopkins beats Hagler.

I think a lot of people overrate what Hagler was. I'd pick any elite level technician over Hagler.

Hagler for sure, guy had skills, heart, gas tank, chin... and was a fucking beast

B-Hop via controlling the pace and not getting sucked into a slugfest. Not by a mile, though.

While I agree Hagler could be outboxed, I don’t see Hopkins as the guy to do it. He wasn’t that much better technically than Hagler and would probably foul the hell out of Hagler who would probably out tough Hopkins IMO. Hagler was one of the meanest, toughest SOB’s ever, and I think Hopkins had quit in him and it showed on many occasions. I’d take Roy Jones over Hagler for sure and actually think a prime James Toney or even a Mike McCallum would have a better shot at beating Hagler than Hopkins, but I would still favor Hagler.

Hopkins. He is all around better and bigger; further, his inside game is underrated. He wins a UD, 117-111 or 116-112 I am thinking.

Hagler beat a lot of people simply by being in better shape and wearing them down. Hopkins is equal in conditioning/preparation, and more skilled.

I didn't see much of prime hopkins, he wasn't easy to find in those years, so, i guess i'm saying i saw a lot of post 35 year old hopkins and i'm a little biased, Hagler would beat him. Hagler was a lot more than a mean brawler, watch some of his defenses, the lesser known ones and you'll see him skillfully dissect some of the guys who came to brawl like hamsho, giving ground, moving, slipping, out of all those type of mean mugging type of fighters, hagler was the only one who had that artistic bent that boxers have. Haglers career was always hurt by politics, he didn't get a shot until he was what? 28, some say 30 and that he lied about his age, and he was ripped in that contest, fortunately people realized how badly he was getting the shaft and petitioned on his behalf. He was getting on by the time he won the title, his hands had slowed considerably, and by the time Sugar ray came back, I believe he no longer wanted to fight, and also he had nothing left but his brawling abilities, which sugar ray saw. People who say Roy, I don't know about that either, Roy would definitely get hit. Haglers weaknesses were 1. his balance was bad, he was comfortable letting guys come to him, not chasing guys, 2. as manny steward said in an interview he was "too intense" mentally and that hurts a fighter. so, if roy could fuck with his head then he could win like sugar ray won, but if hagler comes in like he did against hearns, on that night he might have been the greatest middleweight in history, ready to put it all on the line.

Last edited:
Hopkins has a way of looking for the easy way out from claiming fouls when the going gets tough and if one thing is absolutely certain it's that Hagler would bring absolutely hell down on Hopkins. Hopkins has never fought someone with the tenacious resolve that Hagler had and as good as Hopkins defence is I think he would suffer from Hagler's bodywork. Hagler was used to having to fight 15 rounders and he always fought at a high pace. I don't think Hopkins would like that amount of pressure on him for 12 rounds. Calzaghe outworked him over 12 with volume and I think Hagler would as well. Also Hagler had an epic chin so I don't see how Hopkins could hurt him but Hagler could certainly hurt him.

Hopkins has never fought someone with the tenacious resolve that Hagler had

Strong disagree from me. Trinidad was a proven warrior. Down in several fights to come back and destroy his opponent. Same can be said with Pavlik.

Oscar is a proven warrior as well, and tho outsized, I do not think that was a dive

Jean Pascal has proven to be a warrior to a lesser extent as well, just less skilled.

Hopkins beats Hagler.

I think a lot of people overrate what Hagler was. I'd pick any elite level technician over Hagler.
It be tough but I think Hagler could win the first one but Hopkins would adapt and probably win the rematch.

Strong disagree from me. Trinidad was a proven warrior. Down in several fights to come back and destroy his opponent. Same can be said with Pavlik.

Oscar is a proven warrior as well, and tho outsized, I do not think that was a dive

Jean Pascal has proven to be a warrior to a lesser extent as well, just less skilled.
trinidad was tough as nails but a little too small, he was pretty soft looking in that fight and he also wasn't the complete fighter that Hagler was. I thought he'd lose the way he did in that fight and i wasn't surprised.

Prime Hagler wasn't a brawler.
Hagler post Hearns was a brawler.
Prime Marvelous that is still quick with his feet and agile punishes B-Hop.

Tough fight to pick. Prime Hopkins was crafty as fuck and really knew how to exploit any flaw an opponent had. But I think Hagler was just too much of a work horse and never got discouraged. He'd never let Hopkins dictate the pace for 12-15 rounds.

Hagler UD

Back