Marvel's IRON FIST (March 17, 2017)

If you have seen the complete season 1 of IRON FIST, how would you rate it?

• Total voters
When they first announced Charlie Cox as Matt Murdock, I wasn't feeling the casting based on the actor's appearance. I'm giving the benefit of the doubt that they'll give Finn a proper makeover to play Danny Rand.

104234.39327345_1000X1000.jpg

Game of Thrones' Finn Jones to Play IRON FIST in Netflix Series

Finn-Jones-Iron-Fist-022516-Dragonlord.jpg

Marvel has found its newest superhero: Game of Thrones actor Finn Jones has landed the coveted series lead in Iron Fist.

Jones, who plays Ser Loras Tyrell on the HBO hit, will take on the role of the martial arts master in the upcoming Netflix series, EW has learned.

Iron Fist is set to be the fourth Marvel and Netflix collaboration, following Daredevil, Jessica Jones and the forthcoming Luke Cage. Scott Buck (Dexter) has been tapped as showrunner. Marvel plans to eventually unite all its heroes in a series called The Defenders.

In the comics, Iron Fist is Daniel Rand, who at age of 9 travels with his family from New York a lost mystical city called K’un-L’un. After some tragic twists of fate, Rand is adopted by city’s ruler and taught advanced martial arts and the mystical power of the Iron Fist. As an adult, Rand returns to his native New York and begins a career as a superhero.

Some fans have urged Marvel to cast an Asian actor in the lead role, though others countered that picking an Asian actor only because the hero’s ability is martial arts would be a stereotypical move. Jones’ casting was first floated as a rumor on That Hashtag Show.

Jones, who also appeared in British shows such as Hollyoaks, is next set to appear in season 6 of Thrones, while Marvel’s next premiere is the eagerly awaited return of Daredevil on March 18.

Game of Thrones Actor Finn Jones Confirmed to Play Iron Fist in Marvel-Netflix Series
original.gif

No way Loras can focus his chi into the Iron Fist.
Does this guy even kung-fu?

Better pick of the dude (looks less like a teenage girl)

45179_ori.jpg

His K'un Lun Style is still sus.

I do not dislike the casting choice, nor really like it. Completely on a wait and see thing.

I wonder if some of you are against this because you are just going to think of him as that dude who took it in the pooper on GoT?

You know eventually Marvel will make a casting mistake. This could be it.

This guy hasn't exactly blown me away with his acting chops on GoT.

Does he even know how to throw a punch?

So, the gay knight is playing IF? Well, as long as I don't have to see him naked.

This guy hasn't exactly blown me away with his acting chops on GoT.

Does he even know how to throw a punch?

Not so long ago this would've been my reaction as well.

But I doubt Charlie Cox had any more martial arts or stage fighting experience than Finn Jones has now when he was cast as Daredevil, so I'm going to trust that the producers can whip him into reasonably good shape and provide the best stuntmen money can buy to take up the slack.

Update: March 4, 2016

Rumor: Netflix Casting Shang-Chi for IRON FIST and Own Spinoff Series

Shang-Chi-Iron-Fist-030416-Dragonlord.jpg

A new rumor suggests that Shang-Chi, Marvel’s “Master of Kung Fu,” will be coming to Netflix and Marvel’s Iron Fist Series. Casting for the character has reportedly just begun.

The rumor comes from That Hashtag Show, the same show that broke the news of Finn Jones being cast in the lead role of Danny Rand in the series, and so is obviously an outlet with a solid source tied to Iron Fist.

The rumor states that Marvel and Netflix are considering Shang-Chi for his own spinoff series. In fairness, that’s a rumor we’ve heard about practically every hero appearing in Marvel’s Netflix series, and Marvel has continually said that it’s open to pretty much anything if the fan reception warrants it.

For those unfamiliar, Shang-Chi is arguably the Marvel Universe’s greatest martial artist. Unlike Iron Fist, Shang-Chi has no superpowers or supernatural gifts. His abilities come entirely from skill and training.

Shang-Chi was introduced in 1973 as the son of pulp villain Fu Manchu, whom Marvel had purchased the rights to at the time. He’s worked for MI-6, been a member of the Heroes for Hire, and joined the Avengers. Interestingly, Shang-Chi plays a major role in the Shadowland storyline, which some feel Daredevil is headed towards adapting.

The report states that Marvel and Netflix are exclusively auditioning Asian males for the role of Shang-Chi, so there should be no concern about whitewashing here. Production on Iron Fist is expected to begin in April, and it is expected to premiere on Netflix in 2017.

Netflix Rumored To Be Casting Shang-Chi For Marvel's Iron Fist Series and Spinoff Series

I don't know about this casting, I'll wait and see. But I definitely love Netflix's growing Marvel Universe so they get the benefit of the doubt until they actually mess something up.

I pretty much don't have much doubts when it comes to Netflix. They are just producing so many well done shows it's hard for me to question their decisions anymore. They clearly now what they are doing. I might not like every show they do but I like so many of them it's obvious they have a talented team working for them.

I have faith.

I wasn't exactly thrilled about Jessica Jones being played by the B in apartment 23. As it turns out, I was waaaay off base.

When they first announced Charlie Cox as Matt Murdock, I wasn't feeling the casting based on the actor's appearance. I'm giving the benefit of the doubt that they'll give Finn a proper makeover to play Danny Rand.

104234.39327345_1000X1000.jpg

If I'm honest, as much as I loved the show, I'm not convinced he was the best choice for the part.

Isn't Danny Rand some blonde hair California pretty boy? This guy might be a damned good fit, if he can act his way out of a paper bag. Think Beach Boys meets Mr.Miyagi and a dash of Dragonball Z thrown in.

Will withhold judgement. Luke Cage is the only actor I've seen for any of their shows who screamed "GOOD FIT!" and they've all been good fits so far.

Update: March 7, 2016

IRON FIST Rumored to Appear First in LUKE CAGE Netflix Series

Rumor has it that Finn Jones will be making his debut as Danny Rand, the Iron Fist, a little ahead of schedule. Speaking on the Collider Heroes podcast, Umberto “El Mayimbe” Gonzales claimed that Jones has already shot an appearance in Luke Cage, and that the reason Netflix and Marvel announced the casting was to avoid the news leaking early.

You can hear the full quote in the video below, at approximately the 19:50 mark, but beware possible spoilers as Mayimbe names the episode that Jones is supposed to appear in.

Iron Fist Rumored To Appear In Marvel & Netflix's Luke Cage Series

Update: March 17, 2016

Marvel Officially Announces Finn Jones to Star in IRON FIST on Netflix

Finn-Jones-Iron-Fist-031716-Dragonlord.jpg

Marvel and Netflix are pleased to announce that Finn Jones (Game of Thrones) will star in Marvel’s Iron Fist, the newest series coming soon only to Netflix.

Jones will play Daniel Rand, who returns to New York City after being missing for years. He fights against the criminal element corrupting New York City with his incredible kung-fu mastery and ability to summon the awesome power of the fiery Iron Fist.

“Danny Rand is a very complicated character. He’s a billionaire New York Buddhist monk martial arts superhero who’s still trying to figure out what exactly that all means,” said Executive Producer and showrunner, Scott Buck. “Finn is able to play all these levels in such an honest, revelatory way that as soon as I saw him I knew he was our Danny.”

“Finn wonderfully blends confidence with vulnerability, making him the perfect choice as he struggles to find his place in the world,” said Executive Producer/Head of Marvel TV, Jeph Loeb. “Now that we’ve found our Danny Rand, we’ve completed our principal cast for the upcoming Defenders on Netflix and we are thrilled to continue to show audiences unexplored corners of the Marvel Universe.”

Finn will next be seen in the upcoming season of HBO’s Game of Thrones, where he reprises his role of Ser Loras Tyrell. He is also known for his work on the British series Hollyoaks and Hollyoaks Later.

Marvel Officially Confirms Finn Jones to Play Danny Rand in Netflix's Iron Fist Series

Update: March 17, 2016

First Teaser Image from IRON FIST Hints at the Plot

Following the announcement of Finn Jones playing the role of Iron Fist in the Marvel/Netflix series, the first image from the show has landed online. As expected, there isn’t a lot of detail – but there is something interesting to note.

The note is addressed to Jay Meachum, and asks ‘who is Danny Rand?’

In the comics Danny Rand’s father Wendell Rand started Rand-Meachum Inc. with Harold Meachum. While Danny was being raised in K’un Lun, Wendell was killed. Upon returning, Danny – now Iron Fist – discovers that Harold Meachum was implicit in his father's death and seeks revenge. Iron Fist doesn’t kill him but instead takes his share of the company which is now being run by Harold’s daughter Joy Meachum. So it looks like the show is going to follow the character’s origin fairly closely.

CdwevzAUAAAPlqz.jpg

First Teaser Image from 'Iron Fist' Hints at Following the Comic's Plot

He clearly doesn't even lift, but I'm keeping the Faith. Netflix hasn't let me down yet.

Back