Marvel's IRON FIST (March 17, 2017)

If you have seen the complete season 1 of IRON FIST, how would you rate it?

• Total voters
This 35-second Iron Fist fight scene with 56 cuts shows how not to edit action

Netflix’s latest Marvel collaboration Iron Fist has not gone down well with critics, the general consensus being that it’s a lazier superhero vehicle than many of those that came before it.

One of the key areas in which it is lacking is its action, typified by this fight scene posted on Reddit today which features 56 cuts in just 35 seconds of footage (a la Taken).

The result of the fast cutting is a disorientating, messy and ultimately not particularly impactful sequence

Luke Cage
Jessica Jones
now, Iron Fist.

Where are all these comics i never heard of coming from?

Theyre all....ok shows. However, Daredevil was much better, known, and i doubt anyone would disagree.

I would disagree. I rank them:

Jessica Jones
Luke Cage (seen up to episode 4 so far)
DD Season 2 (Castle and Karen Page make this season for me)
DD Season 1

I've never liked the Daredevil comic either (other than that Year One style mini by Miller and JRjr (Man Without Fear?)) so maybe I just don't connect to the character. I will say, though, that as an asian dude one thing that bugged me immensely was in two seasons worth of episodes, they didn't give any characterization at all to the Asian antagonists, even though all other ethnicities got some backstory or motivations etc.

Jessica Jones was awesome all around. Appropriately tension-filled and terrifying in all the right spots, and then kind of hangovery after the action.

Luke Cage so far is what Tarantino only wishes he could evoke. I see comments saying that the series goes downhill in the second half, but I am really digging it so far.

Last edited:
Even if we look past his physique, the dude looked fake as shit every time he was in a fight scene. It was made even worse by the fact that Jessica Henwick so obviously took the training more seriously than him. She obviously didn’t do all her own stunts, but she sure as shit did a greater percentage of them than Finn. Look at both their fights, and pay attention to when you can see their faces in the frame, that’s how you can tell.

She looks way more intimidating than he does. Heck, they should just make a show about her.

So lame. The star of the show is obviously Colleen Wing, who is white in the comics and Asian in the show. And what's up with typecasting Asians as Kung-Fu fighters? Kind of racist IMO.

Wait, what? Colleen Wing is white in the comics? Her surname sounds Chinese to me.

Jessica Jones
DD Season 1

I've never liked the Daredevil comic either (other than that Year One style mini by Miller and JRjr (Man Without Fear?)) so maybe I just don't connect to the character. I will say, though, that as an asian dude one thing that bugged me immensely was in two seasons worth of episodes, they didn't give any characterization at all to the Asian antagonists, even though all other ethnicities got some backstory or motivations etc.

Jessica Jones was awesome all around. Appropriately tension-filled and terrifying in all the right spots, and then kind of hangovery after the action.

Luke Cage so far is what Tarantino only wishes he could evoke. I see comments saying that the series goes downhill in the second half, but I am really digging it so far.

What i hated about Luke Cage is that he has no enemy. I am never worried about his well being or those he loved. They didn't build that tension correctly.

OR..

Its likely cuz the main actors of both Cage and Jones are quite dreadful. Their acting is pretty bad so if im not always reminded that theyre acting, then i cant get emotionally involved.

Daredevil is played better, if we ignore his partner and Elektra.

Saying you dont like Daredevil gives you me, a TrueBias.

Wait, what? Colleen Wing is white in the comics? Her surname sounds Chinese to me.

Colleen has always been at least biracial, as her mother is Japanese. The confusion arises because she's also a been portrayed as a redhead for most of the character's history. So it's posible that despite his name, Prof. Lee Wing was a white guy.

Another explanation is that Colleen simply dies her hair.

Here are some pages of the first appearances of the character that I could find in the web. Going by these, I'd say that at least the original intent is that both Colleen and her father are Asian.

MP019B.png

M04Marvel_Premiere_20-05.jpg

Jessica Jones
DD Season 1

I think youre jumping the gun big time on Luke Cage.

I do agree tho, Jessica Jones has been my favorite thus far. Best villain easily.

What i hated about Luke Cage is that he has no enemy. I am never worried about his well being or those he loved. They didn't build that tension correctly.

OR..

Its likely cuz the main actors of both Cage and Jones are quite dreadful. Their acting is pretty bad so if im not always reminded that theyre acting, then i cant get emotionally involved.

Daredevil is played better, if we ignore his partner and Elektra.

Saying you dont like Daredevil gives you me, a TrueBias.

Luke Cage had a few flaws. That street fight in harlem with the dude in the armor suit was so weak. It had no real tension and you were just waiting for Luke to blast the guy. Most of the issues felt very minor. I do buy luke as a heavy hitter and a threat though.

Maybe Iron Fist was so skilled he made the Hand look like cans. Maybe that is what the writers were going for.

On another note why is Netflix not using the same fight coordinator for all the different series?

Into the Badlands has an asian lead, who is a fucking bad ass. There is no outrage.

Chill with the strawman
Does he spout off ho-key Buddhist philosophy and walk around in Kung Fu pants the whole show?

On another note why is Netflix not using the same fight coordinator for all the different series?
To be fair, do you see DD fighting the same way a guy like Cage would or the way Frank would?

Am I missing something? I thought the series was good. It's right behind Season 2 of DD in comparison..

Crap show. Fights mostly lame, some downright awful. Horrible plot. Pretty much a waste of my 13 hours.

My biggest complaint, the casting of Lei Kung the Thunderer and especially Davos.

Steel-Serpent-taking-down-Iron-Fist.jpg

MTU630007.jpg

if7.PNG

mtu63_23.jpg

spider-man-team-up-rnd1.jpg

a7c212b01ac8e5345e1fa76afe8bf5ab.jpg

Colleen has always been at least biracial, as her mother is Japanese. The confusion arises because she's also a been portrayed as a redhead for most of the character's history. So it's posible that despite his name, Prof. Lee Wing was a white guy.

Well the actress is biracial so I don't see what the issue is.

The "cage fighting" with jay hieron was cheesy AF like the jet li cage fight vs tito ortiz in that movie forget the name. Tom pelphrey should be the best martial artist on his show because of all the fighting he did on banshee.

Back