Rumored Martin Nguyen vs. Eddie Alvarez - One Featherweight Championship

LOL if this is their Tokyo headliner I expect them to be papering all their tickets

Nothing gonna bring in them Japanese fans than a Vietnamese-Australian and a guy who last fought there 10 years ago
They may have to bring in the big guns
320x240-COb.jpg

They may have to bring in the big guns
BOB-SAPP1.jpg
They should save their money and pour that investor money into:

- AKB48 live performance
- Gaki No Tsukai manzai segment
- Masato one night only return v Buakaw
- Tenshin v Takeru
- Lee Byung Hun v Donnie Yen MMA debuts
- Rena v Angela Lee shootboxing for 5 rounds where the loser of each round removes one article of clothing per round

Tokyo Dome sellout guaranteed and NHK primetime slot incoming

Seems like the most logical fight to make.

As a fighter who has made 155 consistently throughout his career and never been one of the bigger guys, I think it's probably possible for Eddie to make 155 without dehydrating past the limit.

Worth bearing in mind also:
  • ONE does not have public weigh ins
  • They no longer announce weights or dehydration test results at all.
  • Their policy is to arrange catch-weight fights when fighters cannot make the weight without dehydrating....and they never announce when this is done. Ever. Even for title fights.
Sounds legit.

Only question is are the refs wearing an earpiece?

One doesn’t allow weight cutting. You need to be hydrated at a certain level or you will be disqualified from fighting. Hence the bump up in weight.
Oh that sounds like more uninformed DJ shit talk bound to happen.

As a fighter who has made 155 consistently throughout his career and never been one of the bigger guys, I think it's probably possible for Eddie to make 155 without dehydrating past the limit.

Worth bearing in mind also:
  • ONE does not have public weigh ins
  • They no longer announce weights or dehydration test results at all.
  • Their policy is to arrange catch-weight fights when fighters cannot make the weight without dehydrating....and they never announce when this is done. Ever. Even for title fights.

This is shady as fuck.

Eddie was never a small LW either, he fought at 170 and was only slightly undersized.

This is gonna be a fully hydrated after a tough weight cut Eddie vs a guy who could probably make 135 in the UFC.

That's why I don't support weight cutting (or USADA drug testing with their new non-announcement) regulations. Gives the promotion the more control to influence the outcome of their bouts.

I hope Nguyen starches Eddie.

If ONE doesn't permit weight cutting, how is Eddie making the 155lbs necessary to fight for their FW belt?

If ONE doesn't permit weight cutting, how is Eddie making the 155lbs necessary to fight for their FW belt?
1. He's a failry small lightweight.
2. That whole thing is nonsense.

How is Eddie fighting at 155 if One doesn’t allow weight cutting?

One doesn’t allow weight cutting. Their fighters have to be hydrated at a certain level to be qualified to fight. Hence they bump up the weight classes ten pounds.
Then Eddie is fighting at WW. He walks at 190 and starts his water cut from 175.

LOL if this is their Tokyo headliner I expect them to be papering all their tickets

Nothing gonna bring in them Japanese fans than a Vietnamese-Australian and a guy who last fought there 10 years ago
You really don't get how popular Eddie is in Japan, he solidified his himself despite how long ago it was.

This is shady as fuck.

Eddie was never a small LW either, he fought at 170 and was only slightly undersized.

This is gonna be a fully hydrated after a tough weight cut Eddie vs a guy who could probably make 135 in the UFC.

That's why I don't support weight cutting (or USADA drug testing with their new non-announcement) regulations. Gives the promotion the more control to influence the outcome of their bouts.

I hope Nguyen starches Eddie.
Eddie was a very small WW. One of the bigger LWs in terms of muscle and weight but not the biggest.

Hopes, dreams, prayers won't be enough. Eddie is several tiers better at everything

Good fight. I'll go with Eddie if this fight happens.

Back