Marquez: If Cotto Really Wants It - 147 and No New York Venue

MMALOPEZ

Titanium Belt
@Titanium
Reaction score
"If Cotto is willing to go down to 147 pounds, I'm ready to fight, but if not, then we're not going to do the fight," Marquez said. Márquez ruled out the idea of the fight taking place in the Madison Square Garden of New York. "For me it would be like going to Cotto's house and the best place to have that fight would be in a neutral place," Marquez explained. "We do not want to disappoint anyone.

If I lose or win (with Cotto), it would be against a great fighter... it would be a good, competitive and close fight." Cotto has also been fighting an ongoing stint of inactivity. He's been out of the ring since November of 2015 in Las Vegas, where he lost a twelve round decision to Saul "Canelo" Alvarez at 155-pounds. He was scheduled to fight again on February 25 in Texas, against junior middleweight contender James Kirkland, but the entire event fell apart when Kirkland withdrew with a fractured nose only two weeks before the fight. - See more at: http://www.boxingscene.com/marquez-...o-new-york-venue--114681#sthash.t05fsvyj.dpuf

Could Cotto make 147 at this stage of his career?

Anyone know why this fight couldn't take place 5+ years ago?

Good, Cotto is too big for him, let's everyone move on from this fight please.

This fight was supposed to happen a few years ago and it got sense back then. Still an interesting fight tough.

Marquez trying to act like the boss is sort of embarrassing. Cotto doesn't need Marquez one bit.

I'd like to see the fight, though.

Marquez trying to act like the boss is sort of embarrassing. Cotto doesn't need Marquez one bit.

JMM doesn't need Cotto either though. He was the better fighter with the better legacy.

JMM doesn't need Cotto either though. He was the better fighter with the better legacy.
For the payday, I think he does. No one is knocking down JMM's door to fight him.

He's not "acting like the boss", he's just establishing a reasonable precondition. Marquez is already small for 147. Marquez doesn't need anyone at this point.

He's not "acting like the boss", he's just establishing a reasonable precondition. Marquez is already small for 147. Marquez doesn't need anyone at this point.
Cotto said he struggled to make welter way back when he fought Pacquiao. No way is he sweating down for Marquez.

Cotto said he struggled to make welter way back when he fought Pacquiao. No way is he sweating down for Marquez.

I agree, which is why the fight wont get made. Though he was sweating to make the 145 catchweight in that particular instance.

Cotto wont fight anybody unless he has complete control. I hate this stage of his career for the last 5-6 years. He controls glove type, ring size, arena, etc etc etc. Top that off with him behaving like a megalomaniac, talking about himself in the first person.

Cotto wont fight anybody unless he has complete control. I hate this stage of his career for the last 5-6 years. He controls glove type, ring size, arena, etc etc etc. Top that off with him behaving like a megalomaniac, talking about himself in the first person.

I've heard them vitamins from Mexico have strange side effects.

For the payday, I think he does. No one is knocking down JMM's door to fight him.
I'd rather see him in an old timers fight against Pac. Facing Cotto at 154 just seems too big a hurdle for him.

Well I guess it's true. It seemed to me he got that way after being the b side against Mayweather. I'm a fan but have found him a bit annoying in that regard in recent years.

Cotto has a very high price tag and I don't see anyone at 154 that can draw a lot of cash against Cotto, with that said, Cotto is in need of a big name, JMM is one of them.

I don't think Cotto could do 147 at this point in his career. Usually it's easier for fighters to put on weight, not take it off with age...

The fight ain't happening. Neither were WW's at the same time.

Back