Marlon Moraes believes he deserves title shot over Raphael Assunçao. Agree or Disagree?

KazDibiase

"My style is kneeing people in the face."
@Silver
Reaction score
Bantamweight contender Marlon Moraesbelieves he is next in line for a title shot.

A former World Series of Fighting champion, the Brazilian put together a three-fight winning streak in his UFC career, with just one blemish in his Octagon debut, a split decision loss to fellow countryman Raphael Assuncao.

However, as Moraes explained to Combate, he feels like he deserves the next title shot more than the last man to defeat him, because he finishes fights and believes to be an overall more exciting fighter for the fans to watch.

“Raphael is a fantastic guy, I really like him,” Moraes said. “I think he’s a great athlete, too. I think he’s in the mix. But that’s the fighting business, that’s what the fans want to watch. Nobody wants to stay up until one in the morning and watch a fight go for five rounds. They want to see someone going to sleep, that’s the truth. That’s what the fans like, and I’m sure opponents, too. It’s good to fight someone who sells fights. It’s the fight to make, I already talked to my bosses. I’ll wait for the winner [of T.J. Dillashaw vs. Cody Garbrandt] by the end of the year.”

Marlon Moraes is on a three-fight winning streak, with wins over the likes of John Dodson, Aljamain Sterling and, most recently, a vicious KO of Jimmie Rivera at UFC Utica in June. His loss to Assuncao came in June of 2017.

Meanwhile, Assuncao finds himself on a four-fight winning streak, having defeated Aljamain Sterling, Marlon Moraes, Matthew Lopez and Rob Font, the latter at UFC 226on last Saturday.

https://www.bloodyelbow.com/platfor...&utm_source=twitter&__twitter_impression=true

Fighters who sounds like a grade school girl does not deserve a title shot.

Marlon has beaten better competition since the loss.. but Raphael is damn near close too.

They should rematch for it. I thought moraes won the first one, but they both deserve a shot.

Rematch. First decision was highly controversial.

Sure why not? He's more exciting than Assuncao after he started headkicking dudes.

Marlon has beaten better competition since the loss.. but Raphael is damn near close too.
But raphael beat marlon ? Also since UFC is giving undeserved title shots they should give one to the bantamweight goat right ?
images

People get hyped for Moraes' finishes then they hear his post fight interview voice and it's

<DisgustingHHH>

I think the UFC should either stop interviewing him or put a pitch shifter on that mic so he doesn't sound like a 12-year-old girl. At this point it's doing him a lot of unnecessary harm.

I would give Moraes the title shot, then have Assuncao wait for the winner of Moraes vs Dillashaw/Garbrandt.

Moraes deserves the shot. Clearly won the fight with Assuncao, and is coming off a win against the number 1 contender outside of Cody and Cruz in Rivera.

People get hyped for Moraes' finishes then they hear his post fight interview voice and it's

<DisgustingHHH>

I think the UFC should either stop interviewing him or put a pitch shifter on that mic so he doesn't sound like a 12-year-old girl. At this point it's doing him a lot of unnecessary harm.
People with that pitch of voice tend to be great at KOing people.... if you know what I mean.
<{silvanormal}>

People with that pitch of voice tend to be great at KOing people.... if you know what I mean.
<{silvanormal}>

I think it's ultimately not a big deal if you're MW+, but if you're a manlet it's just one more thing that works against you.

Bantamweight contender Marlon Moraesbelieves he is next in line for a title shot.

A former World Series of Fighting champion, the Brazilian put together a three-fight winning streak in his UFC career, with just one blemish in his Octagon debut, a split decision loss to fellow countryman Raphael Assuncao.

However, as Moraes explained to Combate, he feels like he deserves the next title shot more than the last man to defeat him, because he finishes fights and believes to be an overall more exciting fighter for the fans to watch.

“Raphael is a fantastic guy, I really like him,” Moraes said. “I think he’s a great athlete, too. I think he’s in the mix. But that’s the fighting business, that’s what the fans want to watch. Nobody wants to stay up until one in the morning and watch a fight go for five rounds. They want to see someone going to sleep, that’s the truth. That’s what the fans like, and I’m sure opponents, too. It’s good to fight someone who sells fights. It’s the fight to make, I already talked to my bosses. I’ll wait for the winner [of T.J. Dillashaw vs. Cody Garbrandt] by the end of the year.”

Marlon Moraes is on a three-fight winning streak, with wins over the likes of John Dodson, Aljamain Sterling and, most recently, a vicious KO of Jimmie Rivera at UFC Utica in June. His loss to Assuncao came in June of 2017.

Meanwhile, Assuncao finds himself on a four-fight winning streak, having defeated Aljamain Sterling, Marlon Moraes, Matthew Lopez and Rob Font, the latter at UFC 226on last Saturday.

https://www.bloodyelbow.com/platfor...&utm_source=twitter&__twitter_impression=true

Assuncao should get next shot even if tj wins.

I was actually just thinking about this on Saturday. I would love to see a rematch between the two. I think Moraes wins if they were to fight again but if I had to give the title shot to either one of them now without a rematch I'd give it to Assuncao just to get him out of the way and stop him from complaining about not getting a title shot.

They both deserve a title shot, and Rivera deserved to be in the rotation before he got KO'd by Moraes.

This is why the incessant talk about TJ/DJ at 125 makes no fucking sense. The rotation in this division has already been fucked for a long time due to Faber and Cody getting title shots over guys who were more deserving at the time.

If TJ beats Cody again and DJ still doesn't want the fight, they need to move the fuck on and let the rest of the guys at BW get a shot.

All of the other contenders at 135 have been living in the same position Dillsashaw was two years when he was complaining about getting screwed and tried to form that union led by Bjorn Rebney that nobody has talked about since their press conference.

Last edited:
Moraes gets it.. what rank was the dude Raphael beat? What rank was jimmy when Marlon kicked his head off? There ya go

If the question is who "deserves" a title shot, then I'd say it's clearly Assuncao. The guy is 11-1 in the UFC, has won 4 fights in a row, holds a win over Moraes (even if it's controversial), and has a win over the current champion. If that's not enough to earn a title shot, I don't know what is.

But this is the UFC. Being "deserving" isn't a prerequisite for getting a title shot.

Back