Marketing Is Racist: Democrats Calls For Menthol Ban

One issue with cigarettes- not menthols in particular, but just the product in general- is that when poor, uninsured people are diagnosed with lung cancer, cardiovascular disease, or emphazima, hospitals aren't allowed to just let them die on the streets. So, society ends up paying the "clean up cost" for tobacco companies' profits. That's why I have no sympathy for taxing and regulating the shit out of them.

Because that's the cigarette companies fault...by your logic we should also tax the shit outta McDonalds.

Tobacco companies are evil and are responsible for a large part of the destruction of the AA community. Amazing how corporate white america is so eager to destroy minority communities

The FDA is already going after menthol cigs for other reasons, so I wouldn't expect this to change anything- menthols are going away soon.
I don't smoke, so what is the deal with menthol anyways? Is it a flavoring or something and why is the FDA going after it? Should I stock up on them so I can sell them later for a massive markup?

I don't smoke, so what is the deal with menthol anyways? Is it a flavoring or something and why is the FDA going after it? Should I stock up on them so I can sell them later for a massive markup?
I suppose you could aspire to become Eric Garner. Seems like you could aim higher though.

I suppose you could aspire to become Eric Garner. Seems like you could aim higher though.
LOL I didn't think about him. Yea I don't want to get choked out by the Cops.

So beyond that, what is the deal with menthols, what is it and why is it on the way out??

LOL I didn't think about him. Yea I don't want to get choked out by the Cops.

So beyond that, what is the deal with menthols, what is it and why is it on the way out??
They add a strong minty taste and make smoking more (or less imo) pleasant for people. The FDA is looking for a reason to ban it, if it is contributing to addiction to cigarettes, in line with their announcement late last month that they would reduce nicotine levels in cigarettes to non-addictive.

Reading between the lines, the FDA's position is that the tobacco, not the nicotine is what is killing people. So they're trying to separate the hook from the lure (this is why e-cigs are being given a pass until 2020, to see if they're less harmful like we all suspect they are). Menthol may or may not be a hook. Aggressively marketing menthols contributes to cigarette addiction by hooking people who don't like the taste of tobacco as much, and who might otherwise not get addicted. They're calling for public input and this complaint about marketing is probably a response to that call.

Wait...........

So the argumen is cig companies can manipulate people to buy their products through marketing, correct?
And they choose to market to the group of people comprising 13% of the population instead of the group comprising 74%?
Sounds legit....

They add a strong minty taste and make smoking more (or less imo) pleasant for people. The FDA is looking for a reason to ban it, if it is contributing to addiction to cigarettes, in line with their announcement late last month that they would reduce nicotine levels in cigarettes to non-addictive.

Reading between the lines, the FDA's position is that the tobacco, not the nicotine is what is killing people. So they're trying to separate the hook from the lure (this is why e-cigs are being given a pass until 2020, to see if they're less harmful like we all suspect they are). Menthol may or may not be a hook. Aggressively marketing menthols contributes to cigarette addiction by hooking people who don't like the taste of tobacco as much, and who might otherwise not get addicted. They're calling for public input and this complaint about marketing is probably a response to that call.
Dude, that is one of the most informative posts I have read in a long time. Thank you.

How exactly are they marketing more to black folk?

Although I do remember on that terrible show, "flavor of love' one of the contestants did say, (she was white btw) "I'm so black my pussy tastes like menthol "
I don't know about marketing, but back when I was a smoker, I went to a friend's wedding in West Palm and bought cigarettes in the rough part of town, and the wall of cigarettes behind the counter was all newports. Not a single marlboro to be found.

Companies want to make money. The more you consume a product, the more your face gets plastered on it.

What bugs me is the day after they removed black faces from cigarette and liquor ads a study will pop up:

"The Terrifying Corporate Whitewash of America. A survey of urban convenience stores". The type of shit Hillary would mention in a speech.

He notes that the black communities are suffering more, and that marketing targets them more (not sure how that is determined, but I assume he got numbers to back it up) but that is not the reason for the ban.

The reason given for the proposed ban is actually that menthol cigarettes are even worse for health than regular cigarettes. But I don't expect that being of interest to many in this thread.

Disgusting. Just disgusting.

It reminds me of Patrice saying some businesses should treat blacks great. Like shoe stores. He argued that because blacks spend so much on shoes he didn't get why they still got treated bad. I thought he had a good point. Now I realize why. It just encourages thugs to visit your place of business. So yea, target thugs, but maybe install security features like a cage between you and your customer.
I am not sure what you find disgusting in my story.

Why not just get rid of cigarettes?

Other than to get people addicted to a tax, what's the point of having them in the market?

I don't know, something about living in a democracy, I guess.

Otherwise we can also ban fast food, sugar and force people to wear helmets at home just in case.

[QUOTE="BEER, post: 133285103, member: 39532

2235a62db62679372a4ffbeabef8aeec.jpg

Seem balanced to me.[/QUOTE]

I've never seen black people fish

Again, the riots that will accompany this ban will dwarf the police shooting riots.

There will be millions of new black republicans the next day.

Back