Mark Hunt's Win Percentage

YOLOGOGOPLATA

4x Champ Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Is there a better fighter in the history of MMA with a win percentage of 50% or less? Hunt's career record is 13-12-1 (1NC), so he has won exactly half of his official bouts (50%); but check out some of these losses: Josh Barnett, Fedor, Overeem (2x), Melvin Manhoef, Mousasi, JDS, Werdum, & Stipe (Lesnar too, but we all know the deal with that one)
That is an absolute murderers row of some of the best fighters ever (in their respective divisions) and in my opinion Hunt's win-loss record is in no way indicative of his amazing skills as a mixed martial artist.

If we want to move the threshold up to 55%, then BJ Penn has a win percentage of 53.3% with losses to guys like Jens Pulver, Machida (took him to a decision and was outweighed by 34lbs), GSP (2x), Matt Hughes, Frankie Edgar (3x), Nick Diaz, & Rory

These are true warriors who want to fight the best fighters in the world, W/L record be damned. RESPECT.

Is there a better fighter in the history of MMA with a win percentage of 50% or less? Hunt's career record is 13-12-1 (1NC), so he has won exactly half of his official bouts (50%); but check out some of these losses: Josh Barnett, Fedor, Overeem (2x), Melvin Manhoef, Mousasi, JDS, Werdum, & Stipe (Lesnar too, but we all know the deal with that one)
That is an absolute murderers row of some of the best fighters ever (in their respective divisions) and in my opinion Hunt's win-loss record is in no way indicative of his amazing skills as a mixed martial artist.

If we want to move the threshold up to 55%, then BJ Penn has a win percentage of 53.3% with losses to guys like Jens Pulver, Machida (took him to a decision and was outweighed by 34lbs), GSP (2x), Matt Hughes, Frankie Edgar (3x), Nick Diaz, & Rory

These are true warriors who want to fight the best fighters in the world, W/L record be damned. RESPECT.

IMO you can pretty much throw out W-Ls in MMA.

A guy like Matt Brown comes to mind as well as someone with a shit W-L but is widely respected in the sport.

His % is way too good , always over 500k , for somone with 13-12 score, Im sure it's ok.

Hunt is a guilty pleasure

We don't talk about his record

Hunt didnt fight 10 cans at the start of his career like most guys

BJ Penn comes to mind

Terrible record to the naked eye, but a great fighter with great wins.

He's a .500 fighter. He's not great by UFC standards. Yes, he has walk-off knockouts, but as soon as someone pressures Mr. Fatty relentlessly, he gasses. Case in point his last fight. The fat bastard couldn't stop a single takedown. That's a .500 fighter right there.

One of those fighters who’s win/loss ratio doesn’t tell the whole story.

GSP never ducked anyone either, but he had an amazing W/L record because he's an amazing fighter. Jon Jones never ducked anyone, nor did Mighty Mouse, nor did Anderson Silva. Hunt's an average UFC fighter. Every fight in the UFC is tough. Stop acting like Hunt's career has been great because he fought tough guys. Everyone in the UFC fights tough guys.

BJ Penn was just an idiot who couldn't figure out the fact that he was too small at welterweight. He should have stayed at lightweight and dominated.

GSP never ducked anyone either, but he had an amazing W/L record because he's an amazing fighter. Jon Jones never ducked anyone, nor did Mighty Mouse, nor did Anderson Silva. Hunt's an average UFC fighter. Every fight in the UFC is tough. Stop acting like Hunt's career has been great because he fought tough guys. Everyone in the UFC fights tough guys.
Mighty Mouse is ducking TJ as we speak.....lol

Couture and Penn got bad lookin' record.

He's a .500 fighter. He's not great by UFC standards. Yes, he has walk-off knockouts, but as soon as someone pressures Mr. Fatty relentlessly, he gasses. Case in point his last fight. The fat bastard couldn't stop a single takedown. That's a .500 fighter right there.

Nah,
Hunt > GSP.

I disagree. Admittedly the walk-off KO's are very appealing and sway people's opinion of course... but just look at those killers that he lost to! There is zero shame in losing to any of those dudes
IMO you can pretty much throw out W-Ls in MMA.

A guy like Matt Brown comes to mind as well as someone with a shit W-L but is widely respected in the sport.
Guys like Hunt, Penn, and Brown put boxers to shame (and I love boxing). Great boxers do anything they can to keep that zero in the loss column and any time two truly great boxers fight it usually takes years of negotiations to make it happen. This is why Hunt is tougher than the majority of mma fighters who win over 70% of the time! My favorite athletes are the ones who constantly challenge themselves.

BJ Penn was just an idiot who couldn't figure out the fact that he was too small at welterweight. He should have stayed at lightweight and dominated.
But that's my point! He could have stayed at LW and dominated, or he could have left his comfort zone and fought guys he wasn't guaranteed to slaughter. You call him an idiot, I call him overly ambitious.

hunt, brown, couture, penn... and i'd throw randleman in the mix. 17-16 mma record, 4-3 in the ufc.

CM punk is another guy that comes to mind for me too. Not the best record but he has had his big moments too. Well rounded and showed a lot of heart, especially in his Gall fight.

He'couldn't stop a single takedown.
Hunt doesn’t come from a wrestling background.

Dan Henderson is an Olympic wrestler
Jake-Shields-pummeling-dan-henderson.jpg

10dw9pz.jpg

Hunt is an old man fighting a 27 year old wrestler state champion

Why is Manhoef on that list? He's a 205er that Hunt should have beaten but choked.

Why is Manhoef on that list? He's a 205er that Hunt should have beaten but choked.
Well if we are gonna nitpick then Mousasi shouldn't be on that list either. He beat Jacare at MW to win the DREAM MW Grand Prix the fight before he beat Hunt at open weight. I was just trying to list good fighters who Hunt has lost to. Admittedly Manhoef is the worst fighter I listed.

Back