mark hatmaker...

Mark Hatmaker's instructionals (Tapes, DVDs, Books) are all worthwhile, if you can afford them. They are a bit pricey. I have his books and a majority of his Tapes/DVDs. He has some very effective stuff that he shows. His approach has been to study a variety of submissions styles and put together instructionals that come from that collection. These are no-gi submissions, and many are outside the usual BJJ box of techniques. I recognized many from Catchwrestling, which I have some background in.

If you are interested, I would recommend getting one of his early tape sets: "Escapes from Impossible Holds". I a good sample of what he offers, and you get a nice arsenal of escapes you can use.

He keeps studying and producing more instructionals, and I haven't been disappointed in any of them. I just got a privately made DVD of a private weekend seminar he gave recently, and again I found some good new stuff there too.

If you are ever in my neighborhood - N. County San Diego, I have mats at my house and guys that train with me there. You are welcome to get in touch, and visit, and I can show you some of the stuff I have found effective.

[email protected]

Today at my health club, one of the personal trainers asks me if I train sub wrestling (because of the ISWA T-shirt I was wearing.) Well he claims to be a head instructor under Mark Hatmaker. I'm hoping I get the chance to roll with him. He supposedly has or works with some sub wrestling club in DC.

As soon as I got to the part where he does the rear naked choke I turned it off and deleted it too. I think putting your hand on your shoulder instead of down by the elbow is stupid. All it does is give you room to pull the hand down to.

Ive been studying jiu jitsu for almost 7 years and the guy looks like he knows his stuff. I really enjoyed the DVD clean sweeps. He has some good stuff. You don't have to take in everything he shows. Almost any DVD out there is going to have at least one good thing you can put in your game, and it makes the it worth it. The guy dosen't have to be a 100 time world champion to have a few good techniques he's advanced on and made his own. Grappling is constantly evolving. A black belt can learn a new move from a white or a blue belt. No on knows everything, even the best.

i have one of his books and its actually pretty good, hes a catch guy not a bjj guy so things are a little different but i think its good to look at submissions from different perspectives

The Beyond BJJ stuff is absolute poop. And for someone who reps himself as being an MMA expert, I don

I've not seen any of his Beyond BJJ stuff. I also don't know where he coaches out of which might be why we don't hear about any MMA students. I think someone said Tennessee somewhere when previously I thought he was Kentucky based.

From what I can gather he's largely self taught and has no problems admitting to it. From what I have seen he shows a lot of interesting concepts and ideas but a lot that needs tweaking and more technical finesse to get them to work. I've not seen him show anything completely outlandish though. His stuff on Nelsons and Chicken Wings (wrestling arm-bars) is solid imo.

I have had a couple privates with him, he has definitely improved my single leg and does a good job of kicking your ass while teaching you technique at the same time. He really is a great instructor. I think the reason why he has not really taken on a gym of fighters to train is because he enjoys writing (I'm fairly sure he has some non-mma related works out there somewhere). He did have one up and comer fighter who you can see on his videos, but the guy did not pass his physical. He has some sort of heart issues and cannot get cleared to fight, which is a damn shame.

I've not seen any of his Beyond BJJ stuff. I also don't know where he coaches out of which might be why we don't hear about any MMA students. I think someone said Tennessee somewhere when previously I thought he was Kentucky based.

From what I can gather he's largely self taught and has no problems admitting to it. From what I have seen he shows a lot of interesting concepts and ideas but a lot that needs tweaking and more technical finesse to get them to work. I've not seen him show anything completely outlandish though. His stuff on Nelsons and Chicken Wings (wrestling arm-bars) is solid imo.

He does teach in Tennessee.

Some of his techniques seem to be pretty creative to me, but some of it I have seen before.

But what do you think of his kicking book? Does he know kicking?
Will this thread revive?

I have his kicking bible book, I think that's the name of it. It's not bad.

His techniques are mostly good, some are great , and some retarded

He throws a lot of information out there and his books are good for a "so this move exists" type of resource. I wouldn't expect to put a vast majority of them to use but some of his escapes/survival techniques are definitely useful

Back