mark hatmaker...

B

blanko

i am watching "beyond bjj" and i must admit this guy sounds really fishy. Body scissors when someone is in your guard??? Who is this guy and what are his credentials? how do his students do in competition?

"The video is called Guard Submissions -- and it teaches you exactly what you have to do -- in ANY situation -- to always get yourself in "the guard" position... and force your attacker into submission."

http://www.protectmefirst.com/mark_hatmaker.asp

yet in his dvd he says "i don't understand why people stay in this position" the guard....

I have his book, Killer Submissions. Pretty solid.

Don't take it as a "Bible"...I disagree with some of the things he says and have trouble pulling off some of the techniques he presents, but whose to say that's not my own fault? He makes some good points though and I think he is an interesting guy to look at and digest.

With the number of high quality books and DVDs now available, there is no reason to buy any grappling instructional by Mark Hatmaker. They are mediocre at best and teach wrong techniques at worst.

Hatmaker is vastly UNDER-rated IMO. I have 3 of his books and they are all excellent.

...Much of his shit is excellent. In a low key kind of way.

You will apreciate it more if you either have a wrestling base or an interest for catch wrestling/shootfighting in generall.

some his stuff is very lowpercentage moves that you will almost never land, other shit of his has some good points worth looking at if you ask me.

Hatmaker and Matt Furey are off somewhere making sweaty man-love right now.

blanko said:
i am watching "beyond bjj" and i must admit this guy sounds really fishy. Body scissors when someone is in your guard??? Who is this guy and what are his credentials? how do his students do in competition?

Common, by now you should know that Catch Wrestling calls the guard "the scissors". It is not something that you may be used to, but it is no reason to for an established grappling art to change its terminology.

You should also know that although Catch has subs from the guard, it is considered to be an inferior position; something to be avoided and escaped, rather than staying in there for a long time and trying to get something.

That is their philosophy. and again you may or may not agree with it, but it is what it is.

As for Matt specifically, I have all of his books and think that their price to quantity ratio is very good, although I think his striking book is better than the grappling ones.

I have a couple of DVD's, they're worth having.

I sat down and looked through his books at B&N for about an hour. Wasnt to impressed.

At a typical bookstore, you're going to find books by Royce, Royler, Rodrigo, Rezno, Jean-Jacques and Carlson, at the very least. The couple of okay techniques Hatmaker offers don't weigh much against any of these.

Half the people in here could write a book on par with Hatmaker's. It's a bunch of mediocre grappling knowledge spewed out on paper with the occasional unique insight. It's just he is conceited enough to think he knows grappling inside and out and is bestowing true wisdom on us. Unlike most who realize they don't know shit next to the people who have been on the mat almost more than anyone else in the world and who have been monumental in the growth/evolution of the sport.

Mainly brazilians whose name starts with 'R'.

to tell you guys the truth.. after watching his dvd for the first time i just deleted it from my computer...

I am confident that I could produce a better instructional than Hatmaker.

I admit, he could make a better hat than me.

Back