Mark Hamill Hates The Last Jedi

I thought TLJ was a bad movie. It wasn't the worst thing I've ever seen, but I didn't like it. The wife didn't like it either. We're casual fans though. I don't know if that makes a difference.

The video though...GOLD!!!
"If I leaked anything, they would chop off my head and throw it in my face." - Mark Hammill
giphy.gif
Being a casual fan would probably make you like it more.

I thought it was trash too.

Yet it gets above 90% on Rotten Tomatoes. That site should be shut down. They gave the previous one great reviews too. Both garbage.

Reviews Counted: 363
Fresh: 329
Rotten: 34

Critics Consensus: Star Wars: The Last Jedi honors the saga's rich legacy while adding some surprising twists -- and delivering all the emotion-rich action fans could hope for.
The top critics gave it an even higher(96% vs 91%) score than the regular ones but guess what the audience gave it? 48%.

What world are we living in when a blockbuster cash cow gets more praise from critics, and even more from supposedly top critics, than the average film goer?

The top critics gave it an even higher(96% vs 91%) score than the regular ones but guess what the audience gave it? 48%.

What world are we living in when a blockbuster cash cow gets more praise from critics, and even more from supposedly top critics, than the average film goer?

Honestly I think a lot of top critics just kind of wave this stuff though not wanting to look elitist or out of touch, its not really the kind of cinema there mostly interested in though.

I would say a mix of corruption and most critics being gutless just reflecting audience hype back at them. In this case I think there was such a massive circle jerk about the prequels being crap(not saying they weren't) that people were massively invested in the sequels being "anti prequels", admitting they weren't that great became admitting the anti prequel bandwagon had a ton of questionabkle analysis in it.

These films were basically sequels to those Red Letter Media videos not to Starwars, Rogue One was a Starwars sequel(well prequel) and such reveiwers hated it, "its taking itself seriously? pffff the cool kids are meta these days!"

The ironic thing is the sequels for me actually suffer from the same fundamental problem the prequels did, a lack of creative oversight. You go back to the originals and things were constantly being questioned in the writing, filming and editing which eliminated so many bad ideas/scenes. In the prequels there was nobody to say no to Lucas and in the sequels it looks like nobody said no to Abrams and Johnson(I can imagine theer was Disney meddling but more about sticking in merchandising or making Rey extra bland), as a result there films come across as decent first efforts for a script that should have had a ton of cuts/improvements made to them.

This is a really good analysis. Damn!

One thing I absolutely hate is that meta feeling in these Star Wars movies as well as most superhero movies that do it too(some work and are exceptions like Deadpool). I can’t stand that shit. It’s like, “Wink wink nudge nudge. This is just a superhero movie. Remember? Isn’t this silly? Let’s all laugh together at how silly this is.”

It’s kinda like the same feeling in an SNL skit where the actors break character and the audience and actors are laughing together. Which is hilarious in that context, but annoying when it feels like they’re constantly trying to force it in movies.

This is a really good analysis. Damn!

One thing I absolutely hate is that meta feeling in these Star Wars movies as well as most superhero movies that do it too(some work and are exceptions like Deadpool). I can’t stand that shit. It’s like, “Wink wink nudge nudge. This is just a superhero movie. Remember? Isn’t this silly? Let’s all laugh together at how silly this is.”

It’s kinda like the same feeling in an SNL skit where the actors break character and the audience and actors are laughing together. Which is hilarious in that context, but annoying when it feels like they’re constantly trying to force it in movies.

I feel if your going to go that route at least do it well and create a setting in which it works, the last Thor film for example existing in a kind of Flash Gordon like environment ment it could carry this stuff off and was actually funny at points, The Last Jedi's humour was both bland(the whole thing didn't raise a single smile from me) and seriously out of place, like someone trying to keep up with a current trend they neither understood nore had any talent for.

TLJ is a dumpster fire of epic proportions. Like, if an entire garbage dump was on fire, but the only thing in the dump was old diapers and axe body spray.

You don't wait 30+ To show Luke Skywalker NOT using a light saber again.

Tsk tsk Rian Johnson, how dare you not pay off the fans who made these new movies possible.

The Last Jedi's humour was both bland(the whole thing didn't raise a single smile from me) and seriously out of place, like someone trying to keep up with a current trend they neither understood nore had any talent for.

There were a lot if shit in TLJ.... Their attempts at cute humor were by far the worst.

It can work in comic movies because they are COMIC book movies. Not sci-fi, fantasy epic dramas....

I didn't believe Luke's story for a minute. The writing is absolute garbage. The movie sucks hugely.

Yeah it would suck to get a chance to return to your iconic role after a million years and then find out as u read the script that Luke is the “ get off my lawn “ kind of old man, gets cucked by female teen space Jesus, touches alien cow tittles , and dies meditating basically . LAME.

Proud to say I will never watch this shit.

Never read Metacritic. IMO RT is still fairly reliable, you just need to know how to separate the bullshit. Iron Man 3 was crap, The Force Awakens was meh, but both had certified fresh scores. DC movies except Wonder Woman would always have rotten ratings, that's pretty consistent on how good the movies are.

So basically take RT ratings for Disney films with a grain of salt. Expect Infinity War to have a certified fresh rating, but really, it is likely to be an awesome movie.

There were a lot if shit in TLJ.... Their attempts at cute humor were by far the worst.

It can work in comic movies because they are COMIC book movies. Not sci-fi, fantasy epic dramas....

Even Marvel know the difference, comedy that works in Guardians of the Galaxy for example wouldn't work in CIvil War.

Big issue as well is that the comedy heavy Marvel films have directors and actors skilled at that kind of thing.

Never read Metacritic. IMO RT is still fairly reliable, you just need to know how to separate the bullshit. Iron Man 3 was crap, The Force Awakens was meh, but both had certified fresh scores. DC movies except Wonder Woman would always have rotten ratings, that's pretty consistent on how good the movies are.

So basically take RT ratings for Disney films with a grain of salt. Expect Infinity War to have a certified fresh rating, but really, it is likely to be an awesome movie.
Rotten Tomatoes is shit. It's no better. That's why you're seeing every Marvel/Disney movie open to 90%+ ratings. 15 years ago you had to either be a documentary, Toy Story (which offends no one), or City of God to pull those numbers off.

Unfortunately, the golden age ended rather quickly. It's back to reading individual critics who you trust, and good old word-of-mouth from friends (plus IMDb).

I thought it was okay.
To be honest I'm kind of impressed that Johnson took the obvious story lines and didn't use them.
"Rian has written a story that's unexpected but right." said Ridley.

Pretty much unexpected.

It's not what I would have done with the story but I likely would have written the boring outcomes every fan talked about and assumed were coming.

I just don't know where the story can go from here

Respect to Johnson

Fuck Disney.
That is all.

Rotten Tomatoes is shit. It's no better. That's why you're seeing every Marvel/Disney movie open to 90%+ ratings. 15 years ago you had to either be a documentary, Toy Story (which offends no one), or City of God to pull those numbers off.

Unfortunately, the golden age ended rather quickly. It's back to reading individual critics who you trust, and good old word-of-mouth from friends (plus IMDb).

The net itself is I think part of the problem, early Rotten Tomatoes was more a collection of individual criticial opinions, the modern version is often as not a load of sheeplike responses going with the general feeling.

There is likely a good deal of straight corruption though I suspect, Disney especially is so massive now that its advertising payouts are probably vitial to a lot of websites, not to mention being able to get interviews with stars/directors. Honestly I suspect even some big name critics are told not to rock the boat, basically "look just say its good and get it over with, you can say what you actually think about that 3 hours silent European drama set in a monastery".

Back