Mark Hamill Hates The Last Jedi

I was kinda curious what the point was, too. What was it?
Not sure why anyone thinks I'm harboring ulterior motives. I'm just talking about STAR WARS -- I like talking about the good things. I find it fascinating why fans don't simply drop it; if it's so terrible, just drop it. Why go on and on? Not that I want them to stop, don't get me wrong. It's just fascinating and I'll egg people on because I want to see how far they go with these notions. By all means, rant. If you need to call someone an idiot, right here. Be my guest. Shit away.

Another thing I'll do is try to see these sequences from a fresh perspective. I know what I think is badass about Luke, AND I want to hear what others consider their shining moments.

I've re-watched the RETURN OF THE JEDI fight, and I've noticed that Luke is calm and almost arrogant through most of it, and the film ( to use the Jabba sequences as an example). It's not until Vader discovers Leia and threatens to turn her that Luke's composure erodes. He succumbs to anger, thereby defeating his father, whom he'd come to save. It was necessary to see Luke on the brink of patricide, in order to bring out his nobility in refraining from doing so. The temptation is clear, and echoed by Palpatine. This is his crossroads.

Thematically, fighting in anger is wrong -- so the difficult part is striking the balance between its exciting spectacle with its moral impact. Thus, Luke relents, and as we all know his sacrifice is substituted by his father -- redeeming them both.

Not for a second am I trying to reduce this sequence, because I do think it's beautiful and it makes sense.

Not sure why anyone thinks I'm harboring ulterior motives. I'm just talking about STAR WARS -- I like talking about the good things. I find it fascinating why fans don't simply drop it; if it's so terrible, just drop it. Why go on and on? Not that I want them to stop, don't get me wrong. It's just fascinating and I'll egg people on because I want to see how far they go with these notions. By all means, rant. If you need to call someone an idiot, right here. Be my guest. Shit away.

Another thing I'll do is try to see these sequences from a fresh perspective. I know what I think is badass about Luke, AND I want to hear what others consider their shining moments.

I've re-watched the RETURN OF THE JEDI fight, and I've noticed that Luke is calm and almost arrogant through most of it, and the film ( to use the Jabba sequences as an example). It's not until Vader discovers Leia and threatens to turn her that Luke's composure erodes. He succumbs to anger, thereby defeating his father, whom he'd come to save. It was necessary to see Luke on the brink of patricide, in order to bring out his nobility in refraining from doing so. The temptation is clear, and echoed by Palpatine. This is his crossroads.

Thematically, fighting in anger is wrong -- so the difficult part is striking the balance between its exciting spectacle with its moral impact. Thus, Luke relents, and as we all know his sacrifice is substituted by his father -- redeeming them both.

Not for a second am I trying to reduce this sequence, because I do think it's beautiful and it makes sense.

I dont suspect ulterior motives. Im genuinely curious what the point was.

I imagine they dont drop if for the same reason you dont. I think its likely youve spent more time writing about the topic than anyone else.

I dont suspect ulterior motives. Im genuinely curious what the point was.

I imagine they dont drop if for the same reason you dont.

I think its likely youve spent more time writing about the topic than anyone else.
You might have to explain those three to me, or was that a clever rejoinder?

I think a big part of the problem is that whilst yes inequality and outdated views have existed and to some degree still exist in Hollywood theres also a very clear focus on using politics to sell films in recent years.

Sometimes such politics might be worthwhile but increasingly often I think its the case that the industry is inventing false issues that it can "improve" upon. The idea of Starwars as some kind of sexist macho fantasy is I think a classic example of that. Luke was never some arrogant hardass character so the film basically rewrites him into such a character for its own ends.

Last edited:
You might have to explain those three to me, or was that a clever rejoinder?

"I dont suspect ulterior motives. Im genuinely curious what the point was."

You intimated my question was due to ulterior motives. I was informing you that it wasn't. It was due to genuine curiosity.

"I imagine they dont drop if for the same reason you dont."

The reason that you involve yourself in the conversation is likely the same reason people of dissenting opinion do the same. They just have different conclusions than you.

"I think its likely youve spent more time writing about the topic than anyone else. "

You tend to respond about the topic just as much as anyone else if not more, and also often have posts consisting of more written words.

Pathetic.jpg

As usual, they nail the problems with the movie pretty well. I get some people didn't like TFA, but that movie at least attempted some world building, and to introduce new characters and plots. TLJ immediately takes a big dump on all of that, completely invalidating TFA. It's like the new director did it out of spite or something, just completely discarding all of Abrams setup.

As usual, they nail the problems with the movie pretty well. I get some people didn't like TFA, but that movie at least attempted some world building, and to introduce new characters and plots. TLJ immediately takes a big dump on all of that, completely invalidating TFA. It's like the new director did it out of spite or something, just completely discarding all of Abrams setup.

I don't think I've ever seen a script written in such a cowardly fashion. Johnson chickened out of just about every challenge and opportunity presented by the film to which he was making a sequel.

I don't think I've ever seen a script written in such a cowardly fashion. Johnson chickened out of just about every challenge and opportunity presented by the film to which he was making a sequel.

What do you mean? I understand the criticisms and whatnot youve had, Im just curious as to what you mean by challenges?

What do you mean? I understand the criticisms and whatnot youve had, Im just curious as to what you mean by challenges?

I've said in my earlier comments about this film that it is much easier to destroy than to create. He walked into a world of great creations and simply set about tearing things down, while building nothing in its place. I think it's quite possible that this approach was taken to avoid the risk of being criticized for not building adequately upon those existing creations. Just burning things to the ground avoids that by saying "I wasn't TRYING to further these ideas in the first place" and is done in the guise of "subverting expectations."

In the end, I think he just looked at the task ahead of him in making an ACTUAL sequel to TFA + the original trilogy, and instead of doing so, set about making a film where nobody could criticize him for attempting to build creatively and failing. He unabashedly set about intentionally creating and building next to nothing.

If you don't build anything, nobody can criticize what you've built.

At least the movie did this...

Hitler killed millions but at least he was an inspirational speaker.

<23>
He really did.

They just abandoned every major plot thread from the first movie, retroactively making that movie pointless to the overall trilogy.

1. Who are Rey's parents, and could their identity explain why she is so strong in the force? Lolz who cares (which actually makes her Mary Sue-ness in the first movie even worse, if they're not going to explain it)

2. Who is Snoke? Lolz nvm just some pointless character with zero development, or impact on the plot.

3. They just had Finn basically retread his exact same arc from TFA.... for no apparent reason.

4. Kylo Ren has this whole obsession with living up to Vader, and becoming Vader, that added some depth to the character and some contrast. They pretty much completely abandon this angle and just push Ren into being the main villain while the character is undeveloped

5. As others said pretty much everything about Luke's role in this movie is disappointing and nonsensical.

6. While I understood the complaints that the plot structure in TFA was derivative, I appreciated that they added all these other plot threads and characters. Only to pretty much disregard all the setup and mystery from TFA with the most boring "payoff" ever.

Force awakens was on TNT this past weekend and it is 100% better than the last Jedi.

Force awakens is at least fun and feels like Star Wars. Plus Rey on Jakku is excellent. Watching her daily life.

Last Jedi is crap

Him thinking hard about killing his own nephew was disrespectful to his character.

Having him die from force exhaustion was beyond stupid.

Aecret agents opinion is qualified trash.

Ignore him.

Force awakens was on TNT this past weekend and it is 100% better than the last Jedi.

Force awakens is at least fun and feels like Star Wars. Plus Rey on Jakku is excellent. Watching her daily life.

Last Jedi is crap

Last jedi is crap and because the explination for rey being an iver powered mary sue it makes the force awakens suck. Since she can do everything in that movie.

Beause the force is female.

Back