Marijuana prohibitionist Chris Christie to lead White House drug commission

Talk about getting the crumbs from the table.

At one point people thought Christie might get AG or a spot in the cabinet and now his official role is Party Pooper.

Obviously he's conquered his own addictions and is ready to show us the way. Oh wait...

Screen-Shot-2016-03-25-at-10.44.01-PM.jpg

caption_2832392.jpg

I was with you until you said all drugs should be decriminalized. That's a very ignorant thing to say.

My two best friends died from heroin. People I went to high school with were dropping like flies from heroin. If you make heroin more accessible, a lot more people will die from overdoses.

If you truly want marijuana to be legal, don't start saying all drugs should be decriminalized. Saying that type of stuff is like giving ammo to the enemy.

Criminalization didn't save your friends. Maybe treating addiction like a medical problem instead of a criminal one would have.

Criminalization didn't save your friends. Maybe treating addiction like a medical problem instead of a criminal one would have.
My point was that if you decriminalize it, there will be more overdoses.

Do you disagree with that?

100% disagree

The criminalization only affects the punishment for abuse, it does nothing to combat the access to and quality of the drugs.

Decriminalization, and more important regulation of quality and access is the only way to combat instances of overdose.

Is there any reason to a agree with it?

A quick Google search shows that the opposite happened in Portugal.

https://news.vice.com/article/ungas...-after-decriminalization-drugs-weed-to-heroin

The rate of new HIV infections in Portugal has fallen precipitously since 2001, the year its law took effect, declining from 1,016 cases to only 56 in 2012. Overdose deaths decreased from 80 the year that decriminalization was enacted to only 16 in 2012. In the US, by comparison, more than 14,000 people died in 2014 from prescription opioid overdoses alone. Portugal's current drug-induced death rate, three per million residents, is more than five times lower than the European Union's average of 17.3, according to EU figures.

Obviously he's conquered his own addictions and is ready to show us the way. Oh wait...

Screen-Shot-2016-03-25-at-10.44.01-PM.jpg
Thats a bad look for a public servant... seriously.

Some people can wear fat well if they have the frame but there is an obvious injustice going on with his body. He is supposed to be a lean frame individual i think.
13251969-large.jpg

Christie is a fat idiot, he shouldn't be involved in any big decision making anymore after Bridge gate.

It blows my mind that anyone who supported Trump is shocked to find out his government will take a hard stance against drugs.

Heroin user often overdose because they have no idea of the purity of the heroin they're taking. If it were legal they'd have a better idea of the purity.

Does he know there are edibles? Maybe that would change his mind.

Is there any reason to a agree with it?

A quick Google search shows that the opposite happened in Portugal.

https://news.vice.com/article/ungas...-after-decriminalization-drugs-weed-to-heroin

The rate of new HIV infections in Portugal has fallen precipitously since 2001, the year its law took effect, declining from 1,016 cases to only 56 in 2012. Overdose deaths decreased from 80 the year that decriminalization was enacted to only 16 in 2012. In the US, by comparison, more than 14,000 people died in 2014 from prescription opioid overdoses alone. Portugal's current drug-induced death rate, three per million residents, is more than five times lower than the European Union's average of 17.3, according to EU figures.
I'm not talking about Portugal. Comparing countries doesn't make sense.

I have an idea. Let's continue the failed policy of prohibition, that has never worked anywhere in the history of the world.

I'm not talking about Portugal. Comparing countries doesn't make sense.
Yeah he's comparing different countries policies. What works in Portugal doesn't necessarily work here. So like I said, you can't compare countries. Portugal has free health care. There's no proof that the decrease in OD's was even the result of decriminalizing heroin.

I didn't read the whole article, but I did see where it says heroin use increased after they decriminalized it. Also they offer free treatment to the addicts.

If I had to guess, I'd say the decrease in OD's had something to do with government funded methodone clinics just like we have here. Also making narcan more easily available can save a lot of lives. Those alone will decrease OD's without decriminalizing herion.

They could do a lot of shit indeed, but since passing the tax cuts in 2001 the republicans have forgot how to fucking govern.

They haven't forgotten. They just don't care.

Their strategy is to ruin every facet of government and then claim that the subsequent dysfunction is proof that smaller government is the answer.

Sorry your friends died and I disagree. My understanding is that most heroin deaths are the result of lack of quality control. When people buy on the black market there's no telling exactly what they'll get. Did your friends expire simply from using the drug or was there another issue (like contaminants or unexpected potency)? If legal, the producers and sellers would be offering a consistent product that would allow the user to better manage dosage. The number of users could go up and we'd still see fewer deaths.

http://www.peele.net/lib/heroinoverdose.html

In the 1960s, New York City Medical Examiners Drs. Milton Helpern and Michael Baden studied heroin addict deaths. Heroin found near dead addicts was not unusually pure and their body tissues did not show especially high concentrations of the drug. Although the addicts typically shot up in groups, only one addict at a time died. Furthermore, the dead addicts were experienced rather than novice users and therefore should have built up tolerance to large doses of heroin.

The best guess as to what was killing these addicts (aside from general infection, illness, and malnutrition) were the impurities in the drug, such as quinine, which produced adverse reactions in some injectors. A related likelihood which is more evident today is the mixture of drugs, or of drugs and alcohol.

Street lore among heroin addicts typically eschewed drinking alcohol with heroin as a potentially deadly combination. Today, drug cocktails as well as drinking while shooting up are common. The majority of drug deaths in an Australian study, conducted by the National Alcohol and Drug Research Centre, involved heroin in combination with either alcohol (40 percent) or tranquilizers (30 percent).

If it is not pure drugs that kill, but impure drugs and the mixture of drugs, then the myth of the heroin overdose can be dangerous. If users had a guaranteed pure supply of heroin which they relied on, there would be little more likelihood of toxic doses than occur with narcotics administered in a hospital.

Interesting day to announce this while two of his aides got sentenced to 18 months in jail for Bridgegate.

Back