Marijuana and BJJ

Nickel.

White Belt
Reaction score
Yes, this topic yet again.

But I am only interested in hearing from people who actually smoke (vape, eat, or injest other wise) marijuana and train BJJ.

Do you smoke before you roll, or just after to calm down and relax? How do you feel weed affects your BJJ game positively or negatively? How often do you blaze? Every time you train or just every once in a while? How long have you been training and how long have you been blazing?

Again if you don't smoke weed, I don't really care what you have to say. I am only interested in hearing from current or former pot users who train BJJ and have something of insight, value, or interest to add to this thread.

And yes I used the search function and found a lot of shitty threads. So haters stay out. Let's keep this one relitavely close to topic and of relivence.

For the record I do blaze, sometimes before sometimes after. I'm just interested in hearing from different people and their different experiences with weed and jits.

It's all about the Blow.

Weed isn't an addiction.

i only smoke right before if i'm doing competition training, when you know your going to be going hard and training for almost 2 hrs it somehow makes it better & the post 'runners high' is a great feeling.

You figure you burn on the drive in, say 15 minutes out, you get dressed, warm up & may not even do a go for 45-60 minutes later, its not like your sitting on the mat smoking a bowl.

I smoke, mostly after class. Nothing better than lighting up a big joint when you're all sore and tired after class, and just about to sit down to a big meal. I haven't smoked before class in long time, mostly because there are some kids classes at my gym, and I don't really want to disrespect my prof if someone knows I'm all baked. Last time I was rolling, halfway through, I had my hands near my face, and I could totally smell it on my fingers and that made me all paranoid. I will say this though, some of my best rolling sessions seemed like when I blazed before class. I just felt like I was totally relaxed, used very little muscle, and my timing was great because I was more sensitive to what my opponent was doing and catch him as he was about to move.

I used to be a daily smoker, however i always avoided going in to train when i was really ripped..... would try to not smoke for at least 2 or 3 hours prior to training. I just never felt good in particularly sparring while really stoned. I always enjoyed smoking when i got off the mats because it would put me in a very relaxed state.

currently i hardly smoke pot at all anymore.... just the occasional bowl every month or two... and never in relation to bjj unless its just random happenstance that i come across a friend who wants to smoke right after a class...

in summation... as a long term very heavy smoker who has done everything from work to work out to train while high... bjj for me just wasn't something i enjoyed doing while really ripped...

I smoke, mostly after class. Nothing better than lighting up a big joint when you're all sore and tired after class, and just about to sit down to a big meal. I haven't smoked before class in long time, mostly because there are some kids classes at my gym, and I don't really want to disrespect my prof if someone knows I'm all baked. Last time I was rolling, halfway through, I had my hands near my face, and I could totally smell it on my fingers and that made me all paranoid. I will say this though, some of my best rolling sessions seemed like when I blazed before class. I just felt like I was totally relaxed, used very little muscle, and my timing was great because I was more sensitive to what my opponent was doing and catch him as he was about to move.

Yeah, the disrespect thing is kinda tough, our head instructor isn't down with it but several of the assistants are down. I make sure to wash my hands & not totally reek, i also roll with a lot of cops. :)

I don't like to smoke before class or rolling because I feel as if I'm being disrespectful, but outside of class when I'm hanging out with buddies and I smoke and roll it seems as if I can assess the situation better. I tend to calm down a lot and really think things through before I actually attack. Usually I can't stop it though cause the one person I grapple with is better than me. I usually like to smoke after class though (before bed/after class) because it helps me relax and acts as a very strong painkiller/sedative.

Well, up until about 1 month 3 weeks ago I smoked every day, but I'm quit for a while so I can get a job so I can actually pay to keep my BJJ lessons going.

Training 3/4 months, blazing for 8/9 years.
It's all about the Blow.

Weed isn't an addiction.
lol

I like smoking before and after practice. Feels pretty good to go in there knowing I'm completely relaxed. I roll at 10th P so you know I doubt I'd get reprimanded for it. Pretty sure they kinda know.

Yeah, the disrespect thing is kinda tough, our head instructor isn't down with it but several of the assistants are down. I make sure to wash my hands & not totally reek, i also roll with a lot of cops. :)

My coach is cool, but there are a lot of cops, kids, and families in our gym who aren't so obviously I don't wear a dank patch on my gi. I like rolling while blazed, but I don't have a lot of pacience for drilling and learning new techinque, I just want to get to it. I try to wait untill after class so I don't have that problem and I can enjoy and retain all that I learn. But on marathon roll days I always blaze first. I agree that smoking before class makes a 2 hour training session more enjoyable haha.

And for the smell I almost always put some lotion on my arms and hands to cover it up. Just don't burp up a cloud of smoke!

I have a lot of cops in my classes and am scared of smelling. Plus my instructor would probably make a joke about it and get me into trouble. Is there a better way to toke minus the slight negative effect on cardio/breathing and the smell associated with it? i chief a lot on weekends when im not really rolling.

I have a lot of cops in my classes and am scared of smelling. Plus my instructor would probably make a joke about it and get me into trouble. Is there a better way to toke minus the slight negative effect on cardio/breathing and the smell associated with it? i chief a lot on weekends when im not really rolling.

Vaporizer.

buddly-do-right tip of the day: eat an orange after, kills the smell on the hands & face.

I smoke weed and I grapple. Not together, they are both individual activities that I take part in.

im also extremely poor.

Ebay has cheap vapes for ~$50 or you could save up $50 and got buy a Vaporgenie.

Really, other than not smoking it, it's gonna effect you lung capacity, but honestly, it only takes away like 2-3% capacity.

I smoke pretty much before every class... Rolling stoned is great I must say! I'm a everyday smoker so it doesn't really affect me like it would affect others.

I have to say it helps me more than affect me during training. Sometimes it can make you a little lazier, but also sometimes will give you that extra motivation and extra energy. I have to say it depends on the strain that you are using. I usually like the sativas high's instead of indicas for rolling.

I don't really have a problem going in stoned out of my mind. My teacher is pretty relaxed and knows I blaze and jokes around with the fact. There's also a few cops training at the spot, they don't seem to care much either and they also joke around, they are pretty relaxed.

It sucks that MJ is still considered by many as something bad. It can help your mental focus, makes you more relaxed, smoother, put more attention and details to techniques etc. And also, after workout helps to relax the body, meditate about the training session and open your appetite, plus it's an awesome painkiller I must admit!

My 2cents, hope that helps!

Smoke weed after practice man. It will be relaxing while your all sore and you can just kick back.

I have trained while stoned and to be honest it feels like I got tired a lot faster, plus some of the instructors look down on it.

Back