Marco Ruas vs Rickson Gracie

cyrusthevyrus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Who would have won and how in this legends fight that never happen? With old UFC rules/vale tudo?

I think Marco was the more complete fighter. This reminds me of the Marco/Ninja fight in Pride, one of the greatest I have ever seen.

Guess it depends on whether Rickson gets it to the ground.

Marco wins on the feet, I would imagine. And he would be a live underdog on the ground.

Rickson had an open challenge, called everyone out before he left Brazil and Ruas wanted none of it. Mutual friend Pedro Sauer told Ruas it was a bad match-up for him. Being a complete fighter wasn't as important at that time as it is today. Rickson was the best of that era, no question.

Rickson had an open challenge, called everyone out before he left Brazil and Ruas wanted none of it. Mutual friend Pedro Sauer told Ruas it was a bad match-up for him. Being a complete fighter wasn't as important at that time as it is today. Rickson was the best of that era, no question.

Had Wallid defeated any Gracies when this challenge was issued?

I think Marco was the more complete fighter. This reminds me of the Marco/Ninja fight in Pride, one of the greatest I have ever seen.

Marco Ruas vs Ninja Rua in Prida?

I think youre talking about Mario Sperry vs Ninja

Marco may get a dec. if there were time limits.In a no time limit fight, I just don't see how Ruas could ever beat Rickson.

I'd take Rickson, but Ruas could definitely knock him out if the fight didn't hit the ground quickly.

Had Wallid defeated any Gracies when this challenge was issued?

The whole point of the challenge was style vs style. Wallid was part of team gracie, he just defected so him beating Royce isn't really relevant to the challenge.

There were a few matches between GJJ guys and Luta Livre guys, and IIRC the gracies almost always won.

At that time Rickson was the best , and the Ruas was just rising , they allmost didnt fighted in no rule fight , but Ruas backed out , Rickson was respected , and moust fiearced represendetive of the his school and as a person in Rio, at the time he fought many chalanges from Brazil till Japan.

The whole point of the challenge was style vs style. Wallid was part of team gracie, he just defected so him beating Royce isn't really relevant to the challenge.

There were a few matches between GJJ guys and Luta Livre guys, and IIRC the gracies almost always won.

Thanks. I just didn't know where in the whole timeline this open challenge fell.

Had it been after things got ugly, it would have been hard to imagine Wallid not banging down the door to take him up on it, same style or not...

Last edited:
Rickson by rear naked choke sporting padded whitey tighteys. Beach setting optional; basement preferred.

He didn't even fight the best of his era how the fuck do you figure

ruas had some nasty leg kicks, but i'm not sure how effective they would be against rickson. ruas would have better stand up, but a majority of his wins were by submission.

i see the fight being competitive and the rickson being able to get ruas down and either submitting ruas or winning a clear decision.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bob Gnuheart
Back